View Full Version : GP refferal to gym

02-05-08, 09:51 PM
Hi all,

I'll be quick.

anyone know if it is possible to get a gp referral to my council gym. it does run the gp referral scheme but i don't know if i will be eligible for it. anyone tried? What am i eligible for in the uk?

i got myself into a lot of debt. at one point i thought i was going to loose my girlfriend, house & job because of it. i got a lucky break and started my own company and am now doing freelance work, thus keeping my head above water and effectively saving all i thought i would loose.

the banks are still chasing me for them money. my debt is mostly due to impulsive spending. id love to be able to negotiate with my creditors to repay my dept without the interest due to my circumstances (add).

if anyone has thought the same or have any opinions or ideas, then i would love to hear them. especially as most of my debts are due to my banks "charges" and fines taking me into further debt due to a few oversights. with the banks charges test case in court at the moment im thinking i could have a strong case. and so could a lot of people on here!

i should try to get some sleep!



02-14-08, 08:22 PM
Yes. It is called 'Exercise on Referral' and most GPs are happy to consider it. It is usually subsidised rather than paid for outright, though it may be different in your case.

In my case, it would usually cost me nearly 5 per visit to our local council gym (a rip-off if you ask me), but with the Exercise on Referral scheme it would only cost about 2.50 per visit. (I might be wrong on this, as I got my referral but haven't got around to going yet. Typical!)

However, if I planned to visit more than 3 times a week, it could be cheaper for me to sign up to health insurance for 20 per month and get one of their free private gym membership packages. Private gym membership is usually 40 or more a month so it is worth it. ( has more details on offers like these. Prices vary though, so make sure you do your research.

Speaking of which, ( is a useful site for getting advice on money troubles and what to do with problem debts. See that site for more info. Also see if there is a local debt advice service. They can help you make your case to your creditors.

Do it sooner rather than later, and it could save you a lot of trouble in the future.

Hope this helps.

02-15-08, 07:11 PM
cool! thanks for the info. its a good site. i'll go and see my gp. thanks for the reply.