02-06-08, 04:31 PM
HIDDEN TRAUMA
Studies Cite Head Injuries As Factor in Some Social Ills

Brain Researchers Link
Mental Woes, Alcoholism
To Long-Ago Blows

By THOMAS M. BURTON
January 29, 2008; Page A1

Researchers studying brain injury believe they've found a common thread running through many cases of seemingly unrelated social problems: a long-forgotten blow to the head.

They've found that providing therapy for an underlying brain injury often helps people with a variety of ills ranging from learning disabilities to chronic homelessness and alcoholism. If broadly verified, the findings could have a significant impact in dealing with such intractable difficulties.

That severe head injuries can lead to cognitive and behavioral problems is widely accepted. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates 5.3 million Americans suffer from mental or physical disability that is due to brain injury.

What's new is the contention of some researchers that there are many other cases where a severe past blow to the head, resulting in unconsciousness or confusion, is the unrecognized source of such problems. "Unidentified traumatic brain injury is an unrecognized major source of social and vocational failure," says Wayne A. Gordon, director of the Brain Injury Research Center at Mount Sinai School of Medicine in New York, where much of the research is being done.

Entire article here:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120156672297223803.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

Mary
02-06-08, 08:30 PM
Gee.. I can believe it. I was hit by a very large rock as a child and now I have Fibromyalgia.....which is also caused by the same lack of the chemical that is associated with ADD.

ADDmired
02-06-08, 09:03 PM
I smacked my head when I was 5 and had stitches. It certainly didn't help matters.

hollyduck
02-06-08, 09:43 PM
Yep. I ran headon into an upright laundry pole (iron, of course) and was carried home by my cousin, age 7. I woke on the sofa with a lump as big as a goose egg.

When I tell my friends this story, they say, "Well, that explains a lot."

Ducky

Leofwynn
02-08-08, 09:56 AM
I had two concussions within 6 months of each other when I was 20 (nearly 20 years ago) and have had memory problems ever since. I also have fibromyalgia BUT I had the symptoms of that BEFORE the concussions - and I have since found out that much of my fibromyalgia pain is a reaction to what I have been eating. (Changing my diet didn't eliminate the pain and other symptoms 100%, but my pain levels dropped 80-90% so it did have a major impact).

At the time, I didn't get cat scans (only one was deemed serious enough for them to want to do one and I, young and stupid, refused). Now I wish I had. I've had long and short term memory problems ever since.

Bekka

NonSequitor
02-12-08, 06:04 AM
Another thing that has a huge physiological effect is how we are actually born. And the injuries sustained (no matter how minor) can effect one for a long time. Misalignment of the cervical spine, without chiropractic intervention, supresses nerve flow to the brain. If the cervical spine is not right, absolutely nothing else in your body can function properly.

I have also been torn up pretty badly from sports and snowboarding, but I can tell my mental functioning is better when I am seen regularly by a chiropractor.

QueensU_girl
02-12-08, 10:59 AM
re: 1
Yup, neurologists offices, prisons and other places are filled with people who have undetected head injuries. I recently read that even 45% of people with chronic welfare dependency have undiagnosed TBIs or LDs or ADHD, etc.

This article has Dr. DANIEL AMEN's work and inspiration written all over it.

As he says: "When your BRAIN doesn't work right, your LIFE doesn't work right..."

re: 6
Yup, a baby's head pretty much gets squeezed into a conehead shape temporarily when passing thru the birth canal. (Although it's skull sutures aren't hardened yet.)

lunaslobo
02-13-08, 11:37 PM
i know this may sound like i am trying to be funny but i have had many many head tramas growing up, starting with jumping off a top bunk landing on my head, getting knocked out with a rock and tipping over backwards on a bike hitting my head on the cement (no helmet of course.) so really this could explain a lot.