View Full Version : Depression often comorbid with ADD

Andrew
03-05-03, 09:53 AM
Depression is often found in ADD/ADHD individuals that have been misdiagnosed or not diagnosed with ADD/ADHD for years. Over time, the constant pain and frustration takes its toll on a person. When they DO get diagnosed properly...sometimes that's even more depressing. For me, I was misdiagnosed when I was in kindergarten. I was never told of the diagnosis, and was verbally berated by my parents and teachers for years: "If only you would just apply yourself" "Just try harder" etc.

When I was finally diagnosed at the age of 24, all the pain and frustration just overwhelmed me. It was a good feeling to know that I wasn't crazy after all, but it became quite depressing for me, knowing that all my childhood pain and anguish could have been avoided....that I could have enjoyed my childhood, instead of emerging with a very low self-esteem.

Years of therapy and new medications have certainly helped, but my childhood experiences certainly have had a long-term effect on my relationship with my family, etc.

Lafnalot
03-06-03, 01:41 AM
Also there is stidues and data shpwing that with each trauma a person suffers, whether it be the trauam of physical illness, emotional stressors etc. the more weak for depressive disorders we become, oddly enough. The brain chemicals are such delicately balanced things and we are just beginning to have an inflow of information regarding the brain, its makeup and its workings. Thanks for asking me in.

Lafnalot
03-06-03, 01:42 AM
and that would be "studies" not "stidues" **rolls her eyes**

Zero
03-14-03, 11:07 AM
Thanks again, Andrew, was interested in your post.

My b/f was put on Amitriptyline last year when he went to the doctor with anger problems. Think they gave him that cos he specified the word 'anger'. It's a much heavier med than I am on.

We're so confused as to what he has; he probably has some form of depression, cos all the other feelings he gets, and the way he makes other people feel sometimes make him make him feel like ****.He's not a 'cryer' or what I'd think of as a depresive type; he's more agitated than that.

But this may go some way to explain the odd emotional outburst.

Andrew
03-14-03, 02:53 PM
Zero,

Funny thing, the brain is. There are so many disorders that have similar or overlapping symptoms, on top of the fact that each person exhibits those symptoms in their own unique way (i.e. depression) that its no wonder doctors have such a difficult time figuring us out.

Keep in mind that his depression, if that's what it is, may be a symptom of another disorder, not necessarily AD/HD. I encourage you to broaden your scope of research a bit, and look into some of the other possibilities, besides AD/HD. If you're interested in some excellent resources, I would be happy to provide you with some websites to start out with.

In the meantime, I'm glad you shared some of your background with us, and hope you find this forum as valuable as I have.

syndicate
12-30-03, 08:10 AM
Andrew,

I am going to see the doctor tommorow because I am exactly in your situation or believe I am.. anxiety depression has definately taken over and I definately have the same feelings as you about time wasted or distorted... expecially after dropping out of my first 2 university courses.

But 20, or 24 are least we are not 40, when this illness affects us this much... it would be too much to bare.. at least for me.

I have definately been getting somewhat angry with my parents lately, my dad specifically does not believe too many disorders actually exsist and we create them for ourselves... ironically his life is nothing to show of achievement.. and listening to such people only make our road even longer.

I have come to recognize how much I have beat myself up over the years in school for not being the same as everyone else.. and it hurts the most when you truely want to do well in school and prosue post-secondary.

Andrew
12-30-03, 10:37 AM
Syndicate,

I applaude you for taking the next step...for making an appointment to see your doctor about this.

Hang in there, my friend. Many of us (more than you know) have been in the same place as you are right now.

Let us know how you fare.

waywardclam
12-30-03, 11:43 AM
I have always maintained that I do not have clinical depression... it's just that my life is depressing...

FightingBoredom
04-11-04, 10:17 PM
I have also always felt that I do not have clinical depression. However, I've been taking Zoloft since 97. Though I feel NO difference while on it my wife can tell when I haven't taken it.
I've had 4 different therapists, mostly due to moving, and none of them seem to help me get over the feeling I have that since I was diagnosed with ADD my life has taken a downhill turn.

So, I agree with the "my life is depressing" assessment.

Since I started taking medication for ADD I changed my approach to life and business. In 1998, after 6 years of great service to a company that was paying me $150k/yr I was fired. Fired for doing several things in such a way that I would never have done them "unmedicated".
Since then I have worked for at least a dozen companies and the one job I was able to manage laid me off after 2 years(me and 2500 others).

I use to live in a 3000 sq. foot house that was like a castle.
Now I live in a 2200 sq. foot house that I hate... and we have 2 more kids than we had in the bigger house.....

So, I think I NEED the Zoloft now.... but it's life that is depressing..... anyone want to give me a clue how to turn it around? Cause I'm running out of ideas....... and that NEVER happens to me!

Lafnalot
04-12-04, 12:55 AM
Ok Im seeing the need for a middle ground, to be honest. We can have all this stuff and still be depressed, we will always find one more thing that would be the puzzle peice we are looking for.... Ask your wife how she knows when you arent on it, what difference does she see? And then decide if you are willing to trade that in for a 3000 sq ft house. Also Zoloft may not be the med you needs, and a definate look at what are the requirements for a happy life for you might help you assess what you need to do to eiher get more managable 'musts' or aquire those 'musts'. You may have to jump docs but you can still have continuity in your getting better. Depression is a chicken AND egg thing---depression from a situation causes chemical changes in the brain---chemical changes in the brain cause depression----ya see what Im saying? So you have to become an active leader of your therapy--get books, get tapes, get suggestions---keep walking the walk---and welcome by the way :)

runner
04-14-04, 08:57 PM
Thanks, Andrew for your post up top.
I can really relate growing up being berated, as I was by both my parents & teachers.
I grew up in the 1960s when ADD was not even on the 'radar-screen'. My faults were regarded as a lack of 'will-power' more than anything else.
It's no wonder that I've been plagued with depression most of my life!
So I;ve been on several anti-depressants & found Celexa (SSRI, now superseded by Lexapro) & Wellburtrin to be most effective with least side effects.
For some reason, Zoloft sent my anxiety level through the roof.
Remeron made me want to sleep all day.
Pamelor (nortriptalin) did nothing for me.
Prozac was OK, but reduced libido signifigantly.

FightingBoredom
04-14-04, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by runner
For some reason, Zoloft sent my anxiety level through the roof.
Remeron made me want to sleep all day.
Pamelor (nortriptalin) did nothing for me.
Prozac was OK, but reduced libido signifigantly.

Zoloft creates intense anxiety in me when I take the dosage that helps my depression. And I also get insomnia at that dosage. And you can imagine what life is like after a few days of screwy sleep cycle. (Some of you know from experience, no doubt!)

What are the prescribed amounts of Lexapro & Wellburtrin that you are taking? Did you start off at that dosage or work up to it?

Please give more specifics. I am about to switch doctors and want to try this instead of zoloft!

STYLe4MotiOn
10-05-06, 02:27 PM
Zoloft creates intense anxiety in me when I take the dosage that helps my depression. And I also get insomnia at that dosage. And you can imagine what life is like after a few days of screwy sleep cycle. (Some of you know from experience, no doubt!)

What are the prescribed amounts of Lexapro & Wellburtrin that you are taking? Did you start off at that dosage or work up to it?

Please give more specifics. I am about to switch doctors and want to try this instead of zoloft!
I'm taking Wellbutrin + Celexa as well; Wellbutrin Slow Release, 2 times a day 150mg (at 9:00 and 17:00), and Celexa 1x a day, 20mg.

*~ žEEK ~*
10-05-06, 09:32 PM
Even though this is a very old thread, it's still a very good one! :)

I too can relate very much to Andrew's post (The very 1st post). However, I was 30 when I finally got properly diagnosed, so unfortunately I have a lot of emotional baggage.

QueensU_girl
10-09-06, 09:10 PM
re: #2

How stressors set us up for illness and disease and other poor outcomes in life.

www.acestudy.org (http://www.acestudy.org)

*~ žEEK ~*
10-09-06, 10:22 PM
re: #2

How stressors set us up for illness and disease and other poor outcomes in life.

www.acestudy.org (http://www.acestudy.org) Having an LD or ADHD should probably be added to that stressors list, don't ya think? :)

ADDled_Brain
10-19-06, 02:13 AM
I haven't written for some time now, to confused about my problems! I was Dx in September, 2005, with ADD, after years and years of not knowing what was wrong with me. I went to a therapist and she said that I was depressed, so I tried to get another MD to prescribe meds and he said that he thought that I was depressed also. Now I have two medical professionals saying I have ADD and two other medical professionals saying that I am depressed. Why can't I have both and not have an arguement about it amongst the medical professionals?

Yes, I can definitely see why I would be depressed! My wife has been sick for years and I have been fighting with my other siblings because I had to put my mother in a nursing home. I have PTSD experiences in my life, with other depressing experiences, so why wouldn't I have depression, but I have also had nothing but problems in school, life has been a definite struggle in everything that I have done, and there has been many others in the family Dx with ADD.

I have taken Wellbutrin, Effexor, Lexapro, and now Prozac. Strattera, Ritalin, and now Adderall XR. The biggest effect has been help with anger problems, with some help on clearer thinking and focus. No huge major shifts in my life however.

I believe that I am more depressed lately, because I thought that I had this ADD thing finally diagnosed, now I have been told differently and don't know which way to turn, any suggestions? Thank you for your consideration!

jacinta
01-20-07, 05:15 AM
v. frustrating being misdiagnosed and trialed on different medications. The good thing about having a brain that is sensitive to bad things is that it can also be sensitive to good things... eg things that smell good can cheer you up..what things give you positive association..try to have them around for the times you are down..even have a special place to go to..it could be in your mind..

aloha1983
09-08-07, 11:36 PM
Andrew, I had a similar experience. I am non hyperactive or "inattentive" ADD, we had only heard of the hyperactive type. It's still hard not to still be stereotyped by those who knew me before, especially family. We change so much on the inside when we get treated, but then you get together and it's the same old put-downs. Frustrating!

MaNaeSWolf
09-09-07, 02:56 PM
My solution to not being steriotyped is not letting people know whats wrong. I cant remember me not being depressed before I was about 18. I was suicidal the works, but never acted on my sucidal (not really) thoughts. So no one ever knew I was depressed, they just thought I was an introvert. I am Hyperactive and people figured me as being introvert? go figure. Only last year did I start to admit that I had a part of my life as being depressed and I hae told a few people that I have ADHD. But to tell the truth I dont think any good has come from letting others know.
In fact, I dont really thin there is a single person on earth who really knows who I am. But If your looking for comfort then I would suggest that you have to trust other people and open up to them.
I dont do comfort.
And have found my own ways to deal with depression, lonelyness and rejection. But I suppose almost everone with ADHD will suffer some kind of depression because of rejection and difference.
Posted by jacinta; The good thing about having a brain that is sensitive to bad things is that it can also be sensitive to good things... eg things that smell good can cheer you up..what things give you positive association..try to have them around for the times you are down..even have a special place to go to..it could be in your mind.. I definately agree to this

anirbanghosh001
09-14-08, 02:12 AM
While a depressed mood is usually referred to (and perceived) as negative, it can sometimes be subtly beneficial in helping a person adapt to circumstance. For example, physical illness, such as influenza, can lead to feelings of psychological malaise and depression that seem, at first, only to compound an already unpleasant situation. However, the experience of depression, or feeling "down," often results in physical inertia, which leads to the compulsion to rest. The fleeting helplessness and immobility of the physically ill may also serve to elicit care from others.

Anirban

Clinical Depression (http://www.clinicaldepressioncure.com)