View Full Version : ADHD / Schizoid Personality

edge of reason
02-07-08, 10:11 AM
i knew i had the ADHD. That was a given.

But the Schizoid part surprised me. Not Schizophrenic ( thank goodness ), but i assumed my total lack of interest in associating with others was Antisocial, or even Avoidant. Now i see that the difference is that under the surface, those people secretly WANT close friends, and i could really care less about it. i TRULY enjoy being alone, and yet i'm not lonely.

Learn something new every day, i guess.

~boots~
02-07-08, 10:35 AM
i knew i had the ADHD. That was a given.

But the Schizoid part surprised me. Not Schizophrenic ( thank goodness ), but i assumed my total lack of interest in associating with others was Antisocial, or even Avoidant. Now i see that the difference is that under the surface, those people secretly WANT close friends, and i could really care less about it. i TRULY enjoy being alone, and yet i'm not lonely.

Learn something new every day, i guess.I did a search..and that sounds (schizoid) perfectly normal to me!! uh oh..:eek:

QueensU_girl
02-07-08, 12:11 PM
In terms of stereotype, some computer nerds, seriously bookish fantasy/sci-fi types etc would fit the schizoid trait profile.

Some of the smartest people I know have schizoid traits.

Think of Bill Gates and Mr. Spock, too.

Another term would be 'serious introvert' or 'someone who lives in their head'.

Schizoid types (unlike avoidants) are *happy* _not to_ socialize. Whereas avoidant personality trait/anxious types would likely have anxiety over their inability to socialize and socially function. (The concept of Distress [in oneself; or causing it in others], is sometimes an important feature in teasing out pathology, remember.)

The drawback of schizoid traits is that a person is probably very low EQ, emotionally disconnected from others, and does not have social support when times of stress rear their ugly head. A person can be such a great intellectualizer that they are overwhelmed when faced with emotional events. (Intellectualization is considered by mental health types to be an immature 'defense mechanism'; one is always 'living in one's head' and never 'sitting with' one's emotions; to live so emotionlessly *can look* quite heartless and cold, and it bound to at times 'turn off' other human beings; human 'robot types' can sort of creep people out that way. I would not expect it to go over well in semi-social situations like 'at work', etc.)

Other Downfalls:
Not using emotional skills ('radar'; EQ) also reduces a channel for taking in social and safety information. This is where I can see that living an asocial and emotionally detached/illiterate life can be a drawback, and even dangerous.

NB Notice that I never used the term 'schizoid PD' or 'schizoid personality'. That is a VERY specific disorder and I don't feel the label should be used except by real clinicians. Everyone likely has one or two 'schizoid' type traits, however. Some more than others.

I only feel comfortable using the term "schizoid traits".

edge of reason
02-07-08, 09:15 PM
Well, on the schizoid personality test i scored VERY high, and almost all symptoms described me to a tee.

Of course, then i had to turn around and take the schizophrenic personality test to make sure that DIDN'T apply to me. Thankfully, i scored a ZERO on that one.

edge of reason
02-20-08, 08:32 PM
Ok, update. Turns out i do NOT have schizoid personality disorder.

Guess that's what happens when one tries to self-diagnose.