View Full Version : Adhd and sleeping problems

Iluvpoptarts
02-07-08, 06:44 PM
My doc said they're related.. He said people with sleeping problems usually have adhd..
Anyhoo... this is what i noticed about myself:
It is Extremely hard to get up at 6:30am, which i have to, and somehow i get an energy boost towards evening and it stays until midnight... and then the cycle continues..
Another thing is.. Unless im dead tired - i will think randomly for 2 hours before i fall asleep.. my thoughts interfere..

At Heart
02-07-08, 08:57 PM
Hello Iluvpoptarts,

Wow - what a broad and generalized statement your psychiatrist made - I think there are millions and millions of people with sleeping disorders (insomnia, sleep apnea, etc), and I doubt many of them have ADHD. Perhaps he should have said that people with ADHD are prone to having sleeping problems. What you are describing about the random thoughts for two hours before you can fall asleep sound like a term called "racing thoughts" . Racing thoughts are common in people with Bipolar disorder, or Schizoaffective disorder. Racing thoughts have also been known to be caused by medications like Lamictal.

Sorry to ramble - hope I helped clear up some things for you.

At Heart

edge of reason
02-07-08, 09:03 PM
If i don't take something to sleep, i don't sleep...for days.

Was prescribed Ambien today. Hope it works.

Iluvpoptarts
02-08-08, 08:01 AM
Hello Iluvpoptarts,

Wow - what a broad and generalized statement your psychiatrist made - I think there are millions and millions of people with sleeping disorders (insomnia, sleep apnea, etc), and I doubt many of them have ADHD. Perhaps he should have said that people with ADHD are prone to having sleeping problems. What you are describing about the random thoughts for two hours before you can fall asleep sound like a term called "racing thoughts" . Racing thoughts are common in people with Bipolar disorder, or Schizoaffective disorder. Racing thoughts have also been known to be caused by medications like Lamictal.

Sorry to ramble - hope I helped clear up some things for you.

At Heart

Tnx for the info, seriously.
I was googling schizoaffective and it truly fits my description :/. lol.
SO i may have both adhd and schizoaffective - or does the schizoaffective "cause" the "adhd"? probably not. we'll see soon, im getting a neurological diagnosis. I'll let the doc know about it.

Crimsoneer
02-08-08, 09:56 AM
Sorry, but saying people who have sleeping problems usually have ADHD is just plain wrong...
I have ADHD, and sleep just fine most of the time. Sure, I go to bed stupidly late some days because I have to finish googling that last random fact or finish that track, or do anything else that keeps me up, but so do most college students.

edge of reason
02-08-08, 10:03 AM
So i took the first 5mg Ambien at 10pm last night, was asleep by 11p, and wide awake again at 2am...for the rest of the night.

As soon as i awoke, my head immediately filled with chatter and a song got stuck in my head. And i hadn't even gotten out of bed yet.

This really sucks.

pershingd
02-08-08, 10:31 AM
I think it might be a better statement to say that ADHD are more likely to have sleeping problems than people without ADHD. I have 2 ADHD children and they have completely different sleeping patterns, which are both completely different than mine. My youngest is asleep the moment her head hits the pillow and is up at the crack of dawn. My oldest takes forever to fall asleep and would sleep until noon if we would let him. I, on the other hand, have little trouble falling asleep and then will wake up several times rather than sleep soundly through the night. The alarm goes off at 4:00 am so I can be out the door by 5:15 am to get to work. I'd love to be able to sleep in for a bit longer, but it takes forever for my brain to come up to speed after I get up.
I'm hesitant to use any of the sleep aids on the market because I can't be sure that I can dedicate a full 8 hours for sleeping due to my work schedule.

David

Iluvpoptarts
02-08-08, 11:18 AM
So i took the first 5mg Ambien at 10pm last night, was asleep by 11p, and wide awake again at 2am...for the rest of the night.

As soon as i awoke, my head immediately filled with chatter and a song got stuck in my head. And i hadn't even gotten out of bed yet.

This really sucks.

That sucks but not so much , just notify your doc.
Their trick is to start small and test your reaction, thats the 1st step. Then they give your stronger meds if needed, so don't worry.

RunninL8
02-08-08, 12:21 PM
A trick for falling asleep!:
Close your eyes and notice that you really don't just see smooth blackness. You can actually see tiny pinpoints of color that move. If you've just turned out the lights you may still be able to see after images and larger blobs of various colors. Just watch them. Pick a dot or blob and just follow it. Notice changes in color or value or size. A minute or two of that and I'm asleep. Maybe it will work for ya.
Anyhoo-Broad generalization indeed!
Do you feel you are the more hyperactive type? (I'm not) I always had a lot of trouble waking up in the AM. But I was also dead asleep by 8:30 pm, especially in high school! My friends thought I was such a dork!;)
I still get tired at night but that's the meds. I,ve had an easier time getting up in the past 3-4 years. I guess I'm in synch with my 3 year old daughter now.
It doesn't help that it's pitch dark and FREEZING this time of year in the mornin hours! Can't blame us for wanting to hibernate!

RunninL8
02-08-08, 12:23 PM
Oh, yeah... I also put the alarm way across the room-otherwise I'm just smackin that snooze button!

ADHDbutTrying
02-08-08, 02:07 PM
Maybe eating too much sugar is keeping you up. Are you eating pop tarts for supper, or late at night?

Honeybunnie8
02-08-08, 03:06 PM
I have trouble sleeping. I seem to remember having trouble falling asleep even when I was young sometimes. I use to listen to the radio or do odd leg exercises or watch something swing back and fourth above my bed (I had a canopy and I always had things tied to it.) I also would get up and watch what ever my mom was watching secretly hidden peeking behind a wall.
Mornings have always sucked for me. When I was little my mom would just pick me up out of bed and carry me to the living room set me in a chair and put food in front of me.When I was older I would stumble out of bed, bringing my blanket with me and my mom would shove food in front of me. I was still almost always late at least 5 min no matter when it seemed I left.
I still have to listen to something to sleep other wise my thoughts keep me up. I need something else to focus on at least partly. I also fight against being late to work.

Guest1
02-08-08, 03:30 PM
i have bad sleeping problems

Mary
02-08-08, 03:54 PM
Reading these posts made me realize something, since I've been off all the meds the docs seemed to think I needed. I've been sleeping better. No more super insomniac nights, which I hated. The nights I do stay up.... I feel like I did before going on the meds...tired, but still able to function... just not as fast as when I was younger.

It was getting to the point I couldn't even drive while I was on all the meds. I'm not saying everyone should stop taking meds.. I am just saying it works better for me not to.

Fraz_2006
02-08-08, 04:49 PM
I have ADHD, and I have been sleeping all day today.

I had too much caffeine yesterday, because I was trying to get house work done, and Ive just had a huge caffeine crash today.

At Heart
02-11-08, 01:58 AM
Hi Iluvpoptarts,

I think it is entirely possible that you could have two different illnesses (schizoaffective and ADHD). I hope you talk with your doctor about the racing thoughts - it would be very benefitial for you to do so. Also it will help your doctor to accurately diagnose you. I wish you luck.

At Heart

HighFunctioning
02-11-08, 10:06 PM
My doc said they're related.. He said people with sleeping problems usually have adhd..
Anyhoo... this is what i noticed about myself:
It is Extremely hard to get up at 6:30am, which i have to, and somehow i get an energy boost towards evening and it stays until midnight... and then the cycle continues..
Another thing is.. Unless im dead tired - i will think randomly for 2 hours before i fall asleep.. my thoughts interfere..

They are related, but the statment that people with ADHD usually have sleeping problems may be more accurate (as opposed to the other way around). Perhaps that is what he/you meant, though some here have interpreted this as is and have replied accordingly.

I've wondered if the typical schedule of working during the day and not working at night has anything to do with this. The energy boost might be from not expending so much energy on the things that one does not naturally focus well on (in essence, one is making up for the work/school day drudgery, in the cases where work/school == drudgery).

Sargon
02-14-08, 01:31 AM
I'm the same as the OP ... Get up at 6:30, half dead all day, energy picks up after dinner, then trouble falling asleep. It's great. Not.

Mincan
02-14-08, 01:39 AM
I'm on autopilot in the morning (when I finally am able to get up around noon or later), aka brain dead, stumbling, no thoughts, physically painful...worst part of day. Energy starts after supper and continues until early (or late) into the morning at which point I sometimes collapse into bed to fall asleep quickly or...

I try to go to bed "at a decent hour" and fail miserably and get depressed and anxious just lying there doing nothing.