View Full Version : What to do? Desoxyn may be my savior?

Comatose
02-08-08, 01:07 PM
I have and appointment with my psychiatrist who is quite old and liberal. What I want to know is what needs to be said on my part and what the chances are that he will prescribe me desoxyn?
I have been through stratterra, every from of methyphenidate: concerta, methylin, ritalin,focalin etc..all at highest doses. Then we I went throught months and months of adderall 30mg twice a day and dexedrine 2 x 10mg 3 times a day, and now im back at ritalin 20mg twice a day because it seems to not make drowsy like the others, but it as well as the others have not been able to help me effectively manage my ADD. I forget everything becuase of my lack of focus on what people are saying and my inability to focus on these situations. I try writing things down, using all kinds of methods and nothing works because I can sit and do it.

Please help on what i have heard is a great med for people in my situation.

After 5 sitting i finally sat down as was able to finish this reply.

Thanks,
Coma

smapti
02-11-08, 07:52 PM
I was in a similar situation: I'm a non-responder to methylphenidate (it doesn't relieve my ADD, but merely makes me anxious and bleh), and I cycled between dexedrine and adderall IR/XR for a few years. Eventually, I got to the point where I was taking 90-120 mg of Adderall XR and getting nothing therapeutic from the medication.

I've been with my psychiatrist for 5+ years, and he has been treating my family for an even longer period. I've always been active in my medication management, asking for dosage adjustments, or even adjunct medications (provigil and wellbutrin). I have a good relationship with my psych.

I told him that I was becoming unresponsive to higher doses of XR, and we scheduled an office appointment. He suggested that perhaps anxiety was contributing to my problems, and so he gave me a prescription for 0.5 mg klonopin 2x day--which did help to some extent with performance-killing anxiety, but didn't resolve the problem.

anyway, let me get to the meat of your question: how do you ask for desoxyn without seeming like a pill-popping junkie bent on having the DEA destroy your psychiatrist's practice? I don't know, because I only had to do it once. :D

Trust and tact are/were probably the two most important things. He's prescribed my stimulants for years, and knows I take my medication responsibly. Instead of asking for it, I told my psych that "I have been reading about my condition (always true), and that an excellent, but often overlooked medication is Desoxyn. Have you seen it used effectively?" He said that it was quite effective for the patients who had taken it, but asked me to try the klonopin for a spell--if it didn't work, we would go on to Desoxyn.

The klonopin, as stated above, did not resolve my issues (although it did help somewhat, and is certainly handy to have available...), and so I came back to his office to pick up the triplicate prescription left for me at the front desk. I've read horror stories about tracking down a pharmacy that stocks/orders/fills desoxyn in these forums, and so I was prepared for the worst upon entering "my" CVS.

Not only could they fill it, but they had it in stock. Living in Orange County, CA has its perks, I guess. As a non-preferred medication in my then-current insurance formulary, I had a $40.00 co-pay for 120 x 5mg ovation brand desoxyn tablets.

Desoxyn is by far the most effective, least side-effect-bound psychostimulant I've taken. It is assuredly "worth the hassle" to get a prescription. However, my family health insurance lapsed--dad left his job, and I wasn't really a dependent anyway. Without insurance, a month's supply set me back a bit over $400, which is a non-trivial portion of my monthly income. Since Desoxyn is one of the few things keeping me employed, it's worth every cent.

Don't give up hope. PM me if you have any sensitive questions--otherwise, I bet everyone else would like to know how things went, what other questions you have, etc.

Scattered
02-11-08, 08:38 PM
I've never had to ask a doctor for desoxyn, but I was just reading in Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder in Adults written by Paul Wender, MD one of the first to identify ADD in adults and a highly respected researcher, that the most useful amphetamines are Dexedrine and Desoxyn (I don't think Adderall had come out when this book was published in 1995). Anyway, it might help to look up the reference on page 167 and share it with your doctor. However, I expect that a trusting relationship is probably the biggest factor in your doctor's decision.

Don't forget to do the other things you can to help with your focus like exercise and Omega III fatty acids (see Delivered from Distraction by Hallowell and Ratey for why they help ADD).

Comatose
04-08-08, 05:16 PM
Well, i went to see psych today and he wrote me a script for 60 5mg desoxyn, 90 2mg xanax, 60 each of 10 and 20mg ritalin. I couldnt affford the whole desoxyn script because my medicare wouldnt pay for it. So far it seems really mellow and I fell on point.

k10magic
04-10-08, 07:26 PM
Well, i went to see psych today and he wrote me a script for 60 5mg desoxyn, 90 2mg xanax, 60 each of 10 and 20mg ritalin. I couldnt affford the whole desoxyn script because my medicare wouldnt pay for it. So far it seems really mellow and I fell on point.

How does the pharmacist react when your bring a script like that to them? :eek:

lars
04-11-08, 08:55 AM
So far it seems really mellow and I fell on point.
In a nutshell that was my exact experience with Desoxyn.

I did find it to be a very therapeutic drug with virtually no side effects compared to all the other prescriptions stimulants I have taken over the years.

lars
04-11-08, 08:59 AM
How does the pharmacist react when your bring a script like that to them?
It's been my experience that about 50% of the pharmacist that I have encountered have never heard of it. However, even those who are not familiar with it have still treated me with all of the respect that they normally would. If they acted any differently to me because of something like this, I would not hesitate to take my business elsewhere.

I have a zero tolerance policy when it comes to drug hysteria, and I never make any exceptions concerning how I deal with drug hysteria. ;)

Comatose
04-12-08, 09:32 AM
"How does the pharmacist react when your bring a script like that to them?"

Well, I have a close relationship with my pharmacist, so the only reaction I got was, " You medicaid wont pay for it without prior authorization the 60 tabs would cost me nearly $200, so only got half of it and because of it highly scheduled and controlled nature, I would loose the other half. Im going to see my psych. again next week to get an authorization, and another script for a higher dose. If the insurance still wont pay then Im thinking of dexerdrine, and ritalin/focalin. I have tried them all by themselves but not in tandem.

Any input on dex/focalin combo?

Thanks,
Coma

lars
04-12-08, 05:28 PM
Any input on dex/focalin combo?

Yes, here you go:

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=475706&postcount=2

Comatose
04-13-08, 06:02 PM
Thanks for the thread link. I think that combo, focalin/dex would work well with me.

Ive tried each on its own but not together, so maybe that would be it.