View Full Version : Poll for Adderall dosage and bodyweight.

bdavid
02-08-08, 03:58 PM
If you like your dose, take the poll! Be aware that it is based around me being 200lbs, so you 100 pounders can't help me much i guess.

meadd823
02-08-08, 04:19 PM
Exactly what do you mean we 100 pounders can't help you much????

Am I to understand you to mean that my brain doesn't know as much because I weigh 120 pounds? Hmmm I have a feeling this would not be the case . . . .

Apparently I am missing some thing in the translation so a little clarification may help me out a bit here.

oh wait are you thinking that the effects of Adderall are weight dependent?

See ones weight doesn't necessarily have much to do with how much ADD medication is necessary to reach the desired effect.

Some people are like me and weigh 120 pounds but take 80-100mg of Adderall - while another person may weight 250 pounds but reach their peek effect on 30mg of Adderall daily. Dosage is determined more upon your response to the medications and the amount of "imbalance" that needs to be corrected to relieve the ADD symptoms.

I hope that helps some any way . . .

LittlePrincess
02-08-08, 04:42 PM
meadd, I think he means that he wants answers and poll results based on people who weigh closer to what he weighs (200lbs).

LittlePrincess
02-08-08, 04:47 PM
To the OP:
Meadd is correct in that dosage and effects don't have anything to do with weight. Though your doctor my start you out on a dose based on weight. For example, a person weighing only 110 lbs who has never been on a stimulant before may start out at a very low dose and titrate up, if the doc is being extra cautious.

Personally, I started out at 20mg Adderall XR and at the time weighed about 140 and had never had a stimulant before. Everyone is different and everyone's doc is different too.

Anyway, I suppose I'll add to the poll here since I don't know what answer to check...
I am about 130-135lbs and currently taking 30mg Adderall IR daily.

charly.gardel
02-08-08, 04:49 PM
I weigh about 145, and have been taking 50mg Adderall (IR) daily (7am: 20mg; 12pm: 20mg; 4pm: 10mg) for about 4 months now.

In my own experience, anything between 12 and 20mg of the IR works fine for me. My big problem is duration, in that it seems like each dose only lasts about 3 hours and leaves me tired. On the other hand, the 3 doses daily routine is a pain, and if I don't have the second dose on hand around noon, I'll forget, put it off (ah yes, inattentive ADD!), and then feel really slow and foggy the rest of the day.

For this reason, I'll likely ask my doc to switch me to XR twice daily, either the 25mg or 30mg pills (to keep right around 50-60mg per day). Hopefully that will keep things working for my workday, which is off and on from 5.30am until 11pm...

LittlePrincess
02-08-08, 05:31 PM
For this reason, I'll likely ask my doc to switch me to XR twice daily, either the 25mg or 30mg pills

Adderall XR was great! I had wonderful success with it. Some people don't feel the same and like the flexibility of the IR doses.

If cost wasn't an issue, I believe I would choose XRs with maybe an IR booster in the afternoons.

bdavid
02-08-08, 06:22 PM
yeah, sorry i was trying not to offend people who weighed less than what i put in the poll.... that backfired. I am wondering about all this becaues my doc did start me on 20mg XR once a day based on the fact that i am a pretty big guy. It doesn't seem like enough so i'm trying to get an idea of what may be right. I dunno maybe it's a crappy poll, and weight isn't a big issue. Just want to be able to have a suggestion when I go for a follow up visit in 2 weeks, so I can maybe get it right this next time. Already spent 3 weeks on strattera which was terrible for me.... don't want to spend 3 more months till I find an effective dose. I got this new job that is hard for me and it's kicking my ***!

LittlePrincess
02-08-08, 10:47 PM
There is always room for adjustment in dose. All we're saying is that it doesn't necessarily have to do with weight. It may have a little bit to do with weight though, like I mentioned earlier. But just because you are a bigger guy, don't get it in your head that you necessarily need more than the average person. This just isn't so. And if you do think this, then your brain will then start to tell you that it isn't enough (kinda like the placebo effect). Hopefully this is making some sense. :)

Hutch1ns
02-09-08, 12:36 AM
I used to take 120mg IR daily when I was 5'9 125lbs. I take 100mg IR daily now and I'm 5'9 165lbs.

Your weight has nothing to do with your Adderall dosage.

OliviaGLee
02-11-08, 10:58 AM
I don't take Adderall, but I take Concerta... I'm 130 lbs and I take 18mg. I'm moving up to 27mg tomorrow.

adhdogwalker
02-11-08, 09:22 PM
I weigh 105 lbs. dose is 90-100 mg./day

MissMadness
02-11-08, 09:38 PM
My weight ranges 98-102. I take 60 mg of IR a day.

dlmay277
02-11-08, 09:39 PM
dogwalker and madness --- how much did you weigh before you started adderall? or is that a fairly normal weight for you?

meadd823
02-12-08, 12:14 AM
Gosh could we have gotten any more 100 pounders in here if we had tried? This is resembles ADD life How often do we soo get the opposite of what we are looking for?. So bdave if ya want to talk to people who are heavier see how many skinny people you can find ? That might work . . . .

btw I wasn't offended once I fingered out why you didn't think people who weigh 100 pounds could help.

I apologize for being slow to snap.

However weight is not really a very accurate determining factor as you can tell by the responses, The thing to do is talk openly and honestly to your doctor - it will probably take some adjusting to find the right dosage for you .....

Doctors start out with the lower doses to decrease the chances of unpleasant side effects - the higher the medication dosage the more likely one will have side effects. . .. plus taking a dose that is too high for you will always create unwanted stuff. The only way the doctor will know if the present dosage is right or need adjusting is if you tell him/her the truth about weather or not it is helping you to control your attention span and be able to improve you ability to focus .

I wish you the best

MissMadness
02-12-08, 01:36 AM
dogwalker and madness --- how much did you weigh before you started adderall? or is that a fairly normal weight for you?

Yes. I actually gained a few pounds on Adderall. Go figure. I am 5'1 and weighed 95 when I started meds. I am very active and work out on a daily basis. I never paid attention to the scales....just my body fat percentage. (I work with a personal trainer.) Then once I started Adderall, my scales go between 98-102. Go figure!!!

LittlePrincess
02-12-08, 01:43 AM
Then once I started Adderall, my scales go between 98-102.
... which makes all of us ladies green with envy!!!

(j/k of course :p)

MissMadness
02-12-08, 04:36 PM
... which makes all of us ladies green with envy!!!

(j/k of course :p)

haha. yeah, my psychiatrist said i could be a posterchild for proof that not everyone loses weight on Adderall....but some gain weight. :(

LittlePrincess
02-12-08, 06:46 PM
Awww Miss Madness, no need for a frowny!

If you don't mind my asking- Did you just gain weight "on the scale" or did you also change clothing sizes? I tend to not worry about the scale nearly as much as I do how I look in general, and also by how my clothing fits.

You said that you work out regularly and are very active... so my guess is that you look just great! :)

MissMadness
02-12-08, 07:56 PM
Mainly on the scales. However, when I work out now.....I have to monitor my heart rate more closely... since it speeds up my heart rate...I can meet my max target heartrate in no time. :eek:

Snarf
09-21-09, 04:07 AM
Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum, and decided I wanted to join when I found it searching information on adderall dosing in google. I was trying to find references to other dosage charts possibly based on weight, because currently my doctor has me on one 20mg XR in the morning and I told him that it doesn't last long enough and doesn't seem to quite be a high enough dosage and I asked about taking another later in the day or possibly trying instant release with 20mg in the morning and another later or something of that sort because most of all it doesn't last long enough and he said he couldn't do this as it would be too much. I wasn't really sure that it would be "too much" as I haven't been having any bad side effects and that I'm 6'2" 190 lbs. I was initially on 10mg xr daily for a month and now I've been on 20mg xr for a few weeks, so I'm just hoping that maybe he'll consider it after more time maybe. I'm wondering what you all think of this.

PyroBrit
12-11-09, 02:29 PM
Im 6'7" 320lb and im taking 30mg XR.
Started at 15mg, then 20mg after 1 month, then up to 30mg after the next month... has been a month on 30mg.

The difference from before I started taking any has been amazing, but I do believe that I could benefit from a higher dose and I do plan on discussing that with my doctor.

A couple points in reference to this thread that stood out to me...

1 - Body weight DOES affect your dose because the bigger you are, the more you have to take to achieve the same plasma concentration of the chemicals...

2 - Taking into account the above statement, your bodyweight is not related to what level of plasma concentration you need to achieve to have the desired effects...

3 - Also you have to be carefull when comparing the XR to the IR because there are people on here that are talking about taking (for example) 60mg but its 20mg of IR 3 times a day which would provide a lower average plasma concentration than taking 60mg of XR in the morning... The following is a quote from the official Adderall XR Documentation from Shire to give a more defined example of this
"A single dose of ADDERALL XR 20 mg capsules provided comparable
plasma concentration profiles of both d-amphetamine and l-amphetamine to

ADDERALL
(immediate-release) 10 mg bid administered 4 hours apart."
I will provide a URL to the document at the end of the post for anyone who is interested...

I would be interested to know if there is anyone that is 200lbs+ and taking the XR that has found their appropriate dose...

Here is that URL...
http://www.adderallxr.com/pdf/AXR_FPI.pdf

mbhemrick
07-03-11, 01:28 PM
I hope this will clear a few things up without being confrontational.

You have to see a licensed psychiatrist for a reason to be prescribed to this medication. Generally body weight does have a determining factor in how a person responds to medication, but that is not always the case. An individuals sensitivity to a stimulant depends on that individual. That is why an extensive medical screening is conducted by the doctor prior to prescribing the medication. Symptoms, age, weight, medical history, substance abuse, fitness and many other factors all equally way into the determination of proper dosage. If your not responding to the medication the way you feel you should be then you are simply not at the right dosage, or possibly not taking the right medication period.

Your doctor will schedule follow-up appointments with you monthly to see how you are progressing with the medication. If you tell him your not seeing the results you would like he should simply raise the dosage. The only reason why he wouldn't; he is a conservative doctor that does not believe in long term stimulant use, or you personally have a history of substance abuse, or underlying medical conditions, or your at a high dosage and seeing few benefits of being on that particular stimulant. If you disagree with the doctor then get another opinion from another psychiatrist.

When your at the right dosage of adderall, you know it.

SirSleepsAlot
09-06-11, 11:15 PM
I weigh 150lbs 18 years old and I am prescribed 60mg of adderall IR a day and 200mg of provigil.

However my doctor has told me to take it as needed so if i need to be functional all day I will take up to 100mg in a day without any really bad side effects.

blood pressure on 30mg of adderall averages 110 over 60