View Full Version : MMAT/ADHD(TM) System - 1st FDA-cleared test

lukep
02-08-08, 06:21 PM
Has anyone heard for this?

I received a news alart today and see this system is not mentioned in this forum..... interedting reading!

...."first FDA-cleared test that measures a patient's inability to inhibit abnormal levels of motor activity, inattention and impulse control, which are the core observable symptoms of ADHD..... a 15-minute, noninvasive test, provides a clinician with objective measures of these neurological control functions."

here is link:
http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Story/Story.aspx?guid=%7b380A1E74-37D4-449F-9261-366ADCF2E24D%7d&siteid=nbk&print=true&dist=printTop

I did a google and found there are other offices in the States (hopefully in NJ/NY).

-Luke

Scattered
02-08-08, 06:28 PM
Thanks for sharing that -- I haven't heard of this before, but it will be interesting to see how useful it turns out to be. An objective test would be a great help.

Andrew
02-08-08, 08:38 PM
<table id="Table_01" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="841"><tbody><tr><td style="padding-left: 20px; padding-top: 14px;" height="37" width="573">Measuring the Symptoms of ADHD</td> <td rowspan="4" valign="top"> http://biobdx.com/img/frame_spacer_right2.gif</td> <td> http://biobdx.com/img/spacer.gif</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="padding-left: 20px; padding-top: 14px; padding-right: 20px;" rowspan="3" valign="top" width="573">The MMAT/ADHD™ System is a novel and systematic method to aid healthcare professionals in the objective diagnosis of ADHD. What sets the MMAT/ADHD™ System apart from other evaluation systems for ADHD is its ability to translate the latest scientific knowledge about ADHD into objective measurements of the underlying symptoms of the disorder:

Hyperactivity (inability to control movement and sit still while working)
Inattention (difficulty in staying focused and on task)
Impulsivity (inability to inhibit inappropriate responses) Easy to Take, Easy to Interpret
The MMAT/ADHD™ System doesn’t just look at the amount of a patient’s motor activity, attention and impulsivity, during the 15 or 20-minute, office-based and non-invasive test. It also evaluates the patterns of movement and attention, which research has confirmed are important in differentiating ADHD from other behavioral disorders and identifying a patient's subtype and level of ADHD.
While everyone experiences peaks and valleys of hyperactivity, inattention and impulsivity, studies show that people with ADHD shift more rapidly between states of hyperactivity, inattention, distraction and impulsivity. During the MMAT/ADHD™ Test, which is administered in the healthcare professional’s office, the patient sits comfortably in front of the MMAT/ADHD™ System kiosk and responds to a series of demanding yet monotonous tasks designed to assess how often and how quickly the patient goes back and forth between these states.
Within minutes after the MMAT/ADHD™ Test is completed, the results are compared to a database of test results for more than 2,000 children and adolescents who do not have ADHD. The clinician, patient and parents or caregivers are quickly provided with an easy-to-read patient report that clearly illustrates how the patient’s performance compares to individuals of the same age, grade and gender who do not have ADHD.

http://biobdx.com/measuring_the_symptoms_of_adhd.html

</td></tr></tbody></table>

Luthien
02-08-08, 08:55 PM
I dont know .. I am always a little suspicious with things that sounds *too good to be true*.
For one thing, lots of - especially adult - ADD-ers can perform quite well on tests that measure attention when they feel it's interesting. Does this method take that into account? And how?

Fuse
02-09-08, 02:32 AM
I had ADHD as a child (most certainly, and stimulant reaction affirms this), but I could probably quite easily pass that test now, judging by what it sounds like. I still have ADHD.

I am cautious of this test. Perhaps in part because I'd be afraid it'd give a false negative.

In what way is it precise and objective, also? (as claimed by the website)

Then again I've never really considered my physical movements, but unless I'm hyperfocusing (and often even then), I guess I'm always moving around, tapping my feet, fiddling with my hair, looking around the room, etc when on the computer or phone or in a conversation.