View Full Version : Anything negative about Doris Rapp

aimaverik
02-11-08, 12:11 AM
I am planning a visit to a Dr. recommended by Doris Rapp for our son who is exhibiting physical body tics. When I mention this to our regular pediatrician, they are very skeptical and not supportive. Has anyone out there had a negative experience when going down the road of Dr. Rapp's recommendations?

Imnapl
02-11-08, 10:21 AM
What kind of doctor does Doris Rapp recommend? I have her book, Is This Your Child, and loved it, but that was before I knew anything about ADHD. I should reread it from my new perspective.

aimaverik
02-11-08, 04:24 PM
A Dr. Parikh in Niagara Falls, NY. Officially he's an ear, nose and throat Dr., but does the allergy testing and approach as Dr. Rapp recommends in the book.

TygerSan
02-15-08, 12:53 PM
I hope you get some replies from people who have gone down the road of allergy testing and sensitivities. I haven't. As a scientist, I'm quite sceptical, as there haven't been many studies out there backing up the treatment ideas she advances. That does not mean that the interventions can't help, just that there isn't very strong statistical evidence. Her ideas are a bit outside of the mainstream, and that's probably why you're coming up against some resistance with your "normal" MD's. Plus, it's probably not all that cheap to get the testing done (I don't know if she recommends certain supplements, but those can be expensive as well), and the testing may not be covered by insurance if it's considered "alternative" treatment.

Imnapl
02-15-08, 08:39 PM
I hope you get some replies from people who have gone down the road of allergy testing and sensitivities. I haven't.Thanks for reminding me of something very important. It is so much easier to learn how to "challenge" foods introduced to a baby and so much more difficult and less accurate to test for allergies and food sensitivities later on in life. Fortunately, I knew how to challenge new foods with my daughter who was covered in a rash while still in the hospital.

I remember wishing that Doris Rapp had published her book, Is This Your Child, several years earlier because it did explain some things I saw with my daughter that I never connected with her allergies or sensitivities. Having said that, I learned most of what I know about allergies and behavior long before I started learning about ADHD behavior and as a whole, they are very different.