View Full Version : Pocket PC vs. Palm vs. HP Pocket PC's

PersianPhoenix
02-11-08, 01:07 PM
Hi all,This is my first posting here and so far I've been very impressed with all the support you guys offer :) After reading an article on ADDittude Magazine's website, and being ridiculously late for a concert last night (again), I decided I would buy a PDA today.

I've done some research but I'm still stumped as to what would be good for me, especially as a person with ADHD. Here's what i'm looking for:

Something that will allow me to have MS outlook on it, as well as word and excel
Something that will have WIFI
Something that can be expandable (i.e. allows you to put in an SD card)
Something that has interesting add ons that aren't too expensive (such as add ons that let you track your spending, or make shopping lists, etc.)Pocket PC's seem to have the MS office suit included iwth them (right?), but Palm's seem very popular. But I have an HP laptop and I like their products though not sure if htey offer all i want above.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Take care,

Sherry :)

Dulcinea
02-11-08, 03:11 PM
You can get the above with Palm, but the wifi isn't internal so you may want to go with something else. I have a Palm Zire 72 and would love to upgrade but can't afford it right now. Do you want a smart phone or just a PDA? Do you want/need a camera and/or a voice memo feature?

edit: There are lots of cool software programs out there with free trials for Palm or PC...if you're anything like me you'll have trouble not getting hooked. My Zire has relatively low power; I don't know about others.

PersianPhoenix
02-11-08, 03:13 PM
I don't need a smart phone at this time. I think if I could get a voice memo feature that'd be great. The camera isn't absolutely necessary either. :)

Thanks for the reply!

Dulcinea
02-11-08, 03:19 PM
Palm's support is notoriously bad although there are plenty of user forums out there. I don't know much about PC. Do you have a price range?

PersianPhoenix
02-11-08, 04:19 PM
I'd like to spend no more than 200-300 on this ;)

shcb07
02-11-08, 09:34 PM
WOW! This was the SAME question I had! I have ben struggling with which PDA or PC to get for WEEKS!

HighFunctioning
02-11-08, 10:16 PM
Pocket PC's can be bad for ADDer's for one main reason: They can have performance issues at times... Especially with Windows Mobile 5 (it uses ROM for persistent data storage, so that data isn't lost when the battery dies). A slow device is an unused device in the hands of an ADDer.

PersianPhoenix
02-12-08, 01:41 PM
Very good point HighFunctioning..that's the one thing I don't want: a slow PDA. Do you have a PDA yourself?

HighFunctioning
02-12-08, 07:59 PM
Very good point HighFunctioning..that's the one thing I don't want: a slow PDA. Do you have a PDA yourself?

Yes. I own an HP iPAQ hx2750 (624Mhz processor, 128MB of RAM), and I upgraded it to Windows Mobile 5. It's so slow now that I don't use it very much. The battery life is terrible, not so much because it runs out quickly, but it has a tendency to turn itself on, but not back off. The wireless seems to play a major role in the battery life.

I'm not sure how much performance has improved in terms of PDA's running Windows Mobile 5/6, but if you want to get one, it's probably not a bad idea to do some extensive research on the performance of the particular model.

Other than these setbacks, the windows mobile platform isn't that bad. They are as versatile as the software that is installed.

wifeandmom
02-12-08, 10:19 PM
We use the T-Mobile Dash (HTC Excalibur). It syncs with MS Outlook or Exchange server, MS Office Mobile, has wifi, camera, mutli-media player, expandable memory, full qwery keyboard, voice recorder, bluetooth, etc. etc. Three out of four in my family have these. We all love it and plan on replacing the fourth phone (Sidekick) as soon as we can with a Dash. I set appointments in my calendar for my daughter, then send them to her and she accepts them and they go on HER calendar. We like T-mobile for the unlimited family plan texting for $20 for ALL of us! Much cheaper than most of the other carriers in our area.

QueensU_girl
02-13-08, 12:20 AM
I'm selling my HP IPAQ PPC (pocket PC) on Ebay, I decided.

Switched to a MAC laptop and it is too hard to use a Windows-based handheld with it.

I can set the alarm on my cell phone for app'ts, and I'll use an IPOD for music.

Dulcinea
02-14-08, 05:18 PM
We use the T-Mobile Dash (HTC Excalibur). It syncs with MS Outlook or Exchange server, MS Office Mobile, has wifi, camera, mutli-media player, expandable memory, full qwery keyboard, voice recorder, bluetooth, etc. etc. Three out of four in my family have these. We all love it and plan on replacing the fourth phone (Sidekick) as soon as we can with a Dash. I set appointments in my calendar for my daughter, then send them to her and she accepts them and they go on HER calendar. We like T-mobile for the unlimited family plan texting for $20 for ALL of us! Much cheaper than most of the other carriers in our area.

--Sounds cool. How much are they? And how much for data/phone service a month for 1 person (approx) if you don't mind me asking?

red03stang
06-07-08, 08:21 PM
I have the pocket pc and I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!

as long as i download my journal to my laptop once a month i have no problems with it running slow.

Mine has been flawless i work construction so i carry it in my pocket and it gets abused horribly as far as getting banged around and it works great

I have had a couple problems as far as the charger but sprint sends me anew one for 50 bucks

i HIGHLY recommend the pocket pc

martymefurst
06-14-08, 05:47 PM
Persian Phoenix, I know I'm late in coming to this table but I have the HTC 6800 from Sprint (I think HTC has a nearly identical unit through Verizon?) It's pretty much exactly as you described - wifi, Excel, Word, IE, Media Player, an addictive Bubble Breaker game that makes long waits at the doctor's office tolerable, and it syncs to Outlook for contacts, appointments, etc. The WiFi feature was the deal breaker for me when comparing it to other smartphones (and it's conveniently a slide switch on the side of the phone, so I don't forget to turn it off when not using it and then run the battery down as my friend with the iPhone is always doing,) as was the slide out full QWERTY keyboard. I also use it for my AOL and Yahoo webmail, which you can access from the main desktop. I use the Excel quite a bit - I've written a sheet for tracking gas costs and mileage where I enter the date, gallons, price, and odometer at every fill, and it gives me cost per day, cost per mile, MPG etc. Another sheet I wrote for taking to the grocery store; as you add items to the cart you put the dollar amount in a taxed or non taxed column and it gives you the total down to the penny. No more going over budget and panicking at the register! I wrote a restaurant calculator to work out the tax and tip, it's especially handy when going out with a group of people and you don't want to over or underpay when kicking in the cash. And for sheer lame fun, I wrote a sheet that calculates my age down to the minute (22,528,787.77 at this time,) and another one that calculates how many minutes until quitting time at work. OK, I'm a geek!