View Full Version : Feeling really bad

Orange_Panda
02-11-08, 08:42 PM
Hi, I'v been getting really depressed and I feel like I need to talk about some of my stuff. I'm a 21 year old guy and I have inattentive add and although I haven't been diagnosed with it I think I might have some kind of social anxiety disorder and depression. I've been getting really depressed recently, my depression is set off when I think about how I'm falling behind with college work, I have an essay which is about a month late now and I can't even approach getting it done, whenever I do it feels like all of the energy is immediately drained from my body but the thing that really bothers me is that because it's a music course I have to organize a gig and get other people on the course to learn the songs and stuff but I have virtually no connections, even though I've been on the course for three years now, I haven't really made any friends and I don't see anyone outside of college and I haven't even started organizing the performance and I should have started rehearsing last week. I feel really pathetic though because I'm doing a course which isn't really serious, it's not like I'm saving peoples lives or something and I'm using money that isn't mine to do it and I'm failing at it. Worrying about the course only starts me off though, the thing that makes me really depressed that I've never had a girlfriend, I've never even held hands with a girl even though I'm 21 and now I don't even really have any friends, I live at home with my parents, which wasn't so bad when my sister was living here as well but now that she's moved out as well I feel really alone, I feel like the archetypal pathetic guy with no friends who lives at home with his parents, it's really not something I want to be.
I've had bouts of depression for about as long as I can remember but they've never been as bad as I get them now, it feels like all of the energy is sucked out of my body and I can't even move an inch, sometimes all I can think about is suicide and other times I just really hate myself and stupid things I've said and done that have embarrassed, I run through them like a million times and it's really unbearable when my mind gets stuck in that track. I don't think I really could kill myself both because I would be too scared to do it and because I don't want to hurt my family but sometimes when I get really depressed even that kind of disappears and I'm scarred in case I can get into a state of mind where I could do it.
I'm sorry theres so much of this and it's not very well organized, it's pretty much a stream of consciousness but it feels a lot better to get it out, thank you for reading it.

NaughtyFatalist
02-12-08, 05:13 AM
I am NOT a medical professional, but I am going to give you strong advice. I'm going to try the blunt, but simple approach:

You are almost certainly suffering from depression. You could also be suffering from ADD, but you will have to get tested.

You are in need of immediate medical assistance.

Go to a phone now, whilst this web page is still open and make an appointment with a psychiatrist or GP. (You can search Google to find the phone number.) I don't know the British system. You may need to see a GP first. Don't put it off.

If it's late at night, then leave a message on the psychiatrist's answering machine and ask him/her to call you back.

If it is an emergency situation (i.e. suicidal thoughts) then call 999 directly.

The psychiatrist will be able to help you. I know that might be hard to believe right now.

I strongly urge you to next call the Samaritans. Their number is (UK) 08457 90 90 90. You can call 24 hours a day.

If you're not up to calling, you can email the Samaritans at jo@samaritans.org. Their web page is http://www.samaritans.org/

--------------------------------------------------
You have lots of things to talk about and you can get great advice on the internet about your concerns. However, your immediate concern should be to seek medical attention. You can work on your other problems later.

I have subscribed to this thread so that I will get instant email notification of your response in case you have any questions. You don't have to respond.

Mary
02-12-08, 12:58 PM
agrees wholeheartedly, great response on this Naughty!

Orange Panda... please for your own peace of mind.... seek the help suggested by Naughty! I too, am subscribing to this thread.

Imnapl
02-12-08, 10:53 PM
Me three.