View Full Version : New to ADHD meds

ozzz
02-12-08, 05:08 PM
So I saw a psychiatrist yesterday who though it justified to try stimulant treatment for my ADHD symptoms. He prescribed 20 mg Methylin ER daily. Today is my first day and Im not sure how things went. I did feel slightly more clear headed during the day and was able to maintain a more linear thought process but wasnt overly impressed. I was also slightly tired and groggy during the day which surprised me because I though a stimulant would make me feel much more awake. Is is common with Methylin? My doc also explained that if necessary we could titrate the dose up when I see him next month. Do you think the dosage is just too low or maybe a different med would work better? Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated.

Mincan
02-12-08, 05:13 PM
Dexedrine makes me sedated.

If you do not feel much improvement, I would take your doctor's offer of titration. You seem to be experiencing no noticeable inconvenient side effects, so what do you have to lose?

ozzz
02-12-08, 05:23 PM
yeah i think that would probably makes sense. i feel like im getting a glimpse of what is supposed to be happening but just am not quite there yet. what kind of a dose is 20mg of ER methylin? is it small? large? or in the middle? just wondering where it will go from here.

Bayashi
02-12-08, 05:31 PM
When I started on methylphenidate I was at 20mg once a day (instant release). I worked up to 30mg 2x a day with 10mg for a third dose at 3PM or so. That is where I'm at now. I think we'll be increasing it slightly in a few weeks.

I think stimulants make you feel more awake and "buzzed" if you don't have ADHD. For those with it, the stimulants seem to clear the mind, but the buzz effect is less noticeable, from what I understand.

ozzz
02-12-08, 05:34 PM
Thats pretty much how I felt today. I was more calm and could focus slightly better. Still had a lot of my usual symptoms but could tell something was going on.

Mincan
02-12-08, 06:14 PM
Clear the mind - apt description!

Mary
02-12-08, 06:21 PM
So I saw a psychiatrist yesterday who though it justified to try stimulant treatment for my ADHD symptoms. He prescribed 20 mg Methylin ER daily. Today is my first day and Im not sure how things went. I did feel slightly more clear headed during the day and was able to maintain a more linear thought process but wasnt overly impressed. I was also slightly tired and groggy during the day which surprised me because I though a stimulant would make me feel much more awake. Is is common with Methylin? My doc also explained that if necessary we could titrate the dose up when I see him next month. Do you think the dosage is just too low or maybe a different med would work better? Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated.

Give it at least a couple of weeks to a month. Make note of how things go each day so you can take it to the doctor when you return to see the doctor next month. This med is a new one on me. Guess it's time to start researching again. Let us know how you feel in a few days.

ozzz
02-14-08, 02:28 PM
So its my third day of 20 mg ER Methylphenidate. So far I dont really feel like this is where its at for me. At times throughout my day I feel like I am able to focus and stay on tasks slightly better and also have a slightly clear mind. However i dont feel like the benefit is nearly enough. Also I go through periods of feeling sort of groggy which I think is weird considering MPH is a stimulant. So far I think the dose is too low and Im questioning the MPh all together, thinking something else might be a better choice for me. Who knows? Well see what the rest of the month brings

Ithink2much
03-11-08, 04:49 PM
Hi oooz, I am on day 4 of Methylin ER. My symptoms the first 2or 3 days were as you described, but this 4th day is great. Am alert, not jittery or tired bouts. Am focused and cleaned my house. The effect is very subtle, and not "in your face" I like that I cant' really feel if it's working, but I can tell it is.
i hope some others comment on this med, I really would like some more opinions. Can you let me know how it is going now please?? Thanks!

luvnlife79
04-06-08, 08:52 PM
My doc started me out on methylphenidate, and I didn't feel much either: not energized at all, slightly more clear-headed for 2 - 3 hours after a dose, more introverted, and less happy than my "normal" self. I broke out in hives each night when I started on it, hours after my dose, finally on the 4th day bad itchy hives all over just an hour after my morning dose. My doc said I was probably allergic, and switched me to Adderall (which is SO much better IMHO).

So I wasn't on the methylphenidate for very long...but I personally don't like it at all. I'd rather go unmedicated than put that stuff in my body again: the benefits have to outweigh the costs (side effects).

If you don't like this med after a week or two, definitely let your doc know asap...so you can get on finding the med that works best for you. Good luck and keep us posted!

MissAdhd
04-08-08, 08:32 PM
I think stimulants make you feel more awake and "buzzed" if you don't have ADHD. For those with it, the stimulants seem to clear the mind, but the buzz effect is less noticeable, from what I understand.
agreed