View Full Version : Question - plz help if u have knowledge about sleeping problems

Iluvpoptarts
02-13-08, 04:20 PM
I wake up every night! about 2 or 3 times average.
I had/have a phobia problem (scared of going to sleep, claustrophobia and alot of nightmares), but i'm taking care of it with a doctor who's teaching me Guided imagery (Like NLP its how to meditate through visualisation) and so far its been going great, i wake up and go to sleep relaxed, but i'm still waking up a few times a night and feeling tired during the day.

DeloresMelon
02-13-08, 05:09 PM
sleep apnea? bad mattress? sometimes simple things can disturb sleep.

FrazzleDazzle
02-13-08, 06:15 PM
poptarts, have you been to a GP to look into a referral for sleep disturbances? Could you be waking up simply because of an oxygen issue or something like that? It would be worth a check just to make sure, if you have not gone that route already.

tom888
02-16-08, 09:50 AM
I recently bought a book about sleeping. first of all it's normal to wake up several times at night, and in fact everybody does that, we just don't remember if it is under a certain period of time (i don't remember what the time frame was).... in you special case I guess thats the problem, you stay awake and you remember, bad memories come up etc... Also around 3 o'clock the stress hormone cortisol is released. but this is just a hint, cannot help further

tom888
02-17-08, 12:44 PM
OK, because you are such a thankful person I have looked for the book, I just moved houses ev. still in boxes... I found it and here you go:

He says:
A normal sleeping person wakes up 28 times a night only if it is longer than 3 minutes you can remember it next morning. This usually happens during or after the dream-phase (REM) if you then stay longer awake then then 3 minutes you remember the dream next day.

Also something in the middle could happen, when you remember you woke up and you dreamed something strange but you don't remember the dream anymore.

Your problem is also mentioned. He says that it can happen that people wake up and develop some kind of self-prophecy: you wake up and you are angry about it so your tying and trying to go back to sleep and you won't succeed, except maybe your prophecy :D

Sorry, but translating this is very difficult:
http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/3898831345/ref=sib_rdr_dp

Imnapl
02-17-08, 12:54 PM
Tom88, that's really interesting and I had no idea we wake that many times during sleep. And here I thought it was my cats or my husband. I rarely remember my dreams.

tom888
02-17-08, 01:08 PM
yes, it is! it is still an old evolution protection mechanism. When they slept in groups of people, basically one of them was always awake to spot danger.....