View Full Version : Scattered: How Attention Deficit Disorder originates and what you can do about it

88ssp
02-26-04, 01:12 AM
This is a pretty good book. The author (Gabor Mate, MD) has ADD and treats individuals in Canada. He proposes that ADD is not a genetic "being" as much as it is an environmental phenomenon. His theory is that ADD is linked to events that start during the infant years and continue throughout our lives.

He also feels that medication is not needed in the majority of cases.

I found it at the library.

StayWithMeHere
09-17-04, 08:34 PM
I thought it was interesting but the focus was very much on the author and his life. He tells a heartbreaking story of the stresses surrounding his mother's pregnancy and his early childhood. This is what he thinks caused his ADD, and I think he may be right - at least in his own case - but overall I found it to be lacking in hard evidence. The story is interesting, but that's as far as it goes.

Chicky75
10-16-04, 11:41 PM
I just started reading this one today, and I have to agree with the lack of hard evidence though I do mostly like his overall theory of a genetic predisposition that is triggered by environmental issues in early childhood. But mostly I would recommend it because so far it has some of the best metaphors for what it's like to actually be ADD to try to explain it to people who are not or who just say, everyone's distracted once in awhile!

For example, in the chapter on "Emotional Allergies" he says that the emotional hypersensitivity that ADD people have isn't any different than a physical hypersensitivity someone with an allergy has. So telling an ADD person to be less sensitive is like telling someone with hayfever to be less allergic.

Trooper Keith
10-17-04, 02:12 AM
Due to the HUGE link they have found that quantifies definitively the genetic nature of ADHD, showing a prevalence 5 to 6 times higher in first-generation relatives (Biedermann, 1998) I would quickly dismiss any study claiming an environmentally based origin.

StayWithMeHere
10-18-04, 12:31 AM
I saw the same book with the title (From Canada) SCATTERED MINDS: A New Look At The Origins And Healing of Attention Deficit Disorder. FYI.

Jen

ADDition
11-28-04, 01:24 PM
I just took this book out of the library, and as Chicky75 stated, the metaphorical explanations are what I hope to gain from it, in an effort to try to have my own insights, as well as to educate close others of mine so that they have an idea of what it's like to be me. (for example, that I'm not talkative in an effort to be self-centered, insensitive, wacky, etc). But everything I've read indicates strong tendencies of genetic links and that this is a brain chemistry related type thing. I just think maybe people's situations may make coping with things internally worse for the ADDer. Well, I haven't gotten through too much of the book yet, but my hope as I've said is more metaphorical references to help me talk to others about it.

HyperDad39
02-21-05, 12:25 AM
ADDition...I completely agree and finished reading it so that I could see both sides. There have been several times that I have avoided a nasty situation by being able to argue intelligently instead of defensively on the topic of ADD.

His point of view really made me question my ADHD but I have been set straight by my wife (a teacher of 18 years), my sister (a therapist for 15 years), my therapist and my own Doctor.