View Full Version : Hey Early Birds! How can I become one of you?

tom888
02-19-08, 05:29 AM
The things is that I start feeling "good" when it gets dark outside then I get active and do thing, think about things, I get the best Ideas etc. This is since I was a kid and freaked out my parents, because when it was bed time I started "my day".

Anyway, do you guys have some idea, hints, trick to get my lazy butt out of bed refreshed. I wish I could get up at let's say 7 and do some kind of exercise. But forget it this will never happen.

Any idea?
Tom

DeloresMelon
02-19-08, 02:17 PM
honestly, I think it's simply that some people have a different inner clock. They function the "other" twelve hours.

I'm one of those "early birds". I tried working a night shift job once. I was as close to a zombie as you can get without seeking brains. It definitely was a bad thing.

I wouldn't start labeling yourself "lazy butt". Is there anyway you can reorganize your life to adjust for your inner clock? Set your schedule so you don't have to go to bed until you're ready, allowing you to sleep through the morning, and starting your day when you get up... at a time that works for you.

I think that would result in more success than trying to make your body adjust to what others define as "normal office hours".

Don't forget your daily dose of Vitamin D... SUNSHINE!! :p

tom888
02-20-08, 08:40 AM
You are absolutely right about the inner clock thing and you cannot change it. It must be genetic. I would agree with you about the wrong labeling butt thingy but this is what most of us were indoctrinated for quite some time. As you see it comes automatically and is really had to change. Nobody in this society cares if you are able to give 110% from let's say 18 - 2 in the mornings. I remember my crazy boss almost gave me a warning for always coming in really tired, he thought I would always go out at night and not take my responsibilities serious.

In addition is have a really special Monday problem which is called "Monday Blues". I am already happy that they found a name for it.

Anyone?

Mary
02-21-08, 10:11 AM
What do you do..jobwise? I think it would partially depend on that, too. My sister doesn't function well in the mornings either. So she works second shift. Stays up a little later when she gets home around 2 a.m....then sleeps till noon, before getting up to start her day over again.

Hubby is also not a morning person. But he would rather work first shift than second or third. He tried second for a while, but always complained that he couldn't spend time with the kids and myself. His attempt at third shift put his temper through the roof and he was throwing the alarm clock. So for the last 18 yrs, he's been on first shift again.

He wakes up around 5... drinks enough coffee to float a battle ship. Sometimes he'll eat something but most times he just waits until lunch. I myself think it's important to eat breakfast. Experience remembered from school days when I would miss breakfast.. I had a poor day at school. The days I did eat... I did better throughout the day.

Are you on meds? if so, try waking up an hour before you actually have to be up, take the med and go back to sleep for an hour. That way it gives your body a chance to let the meds kick in. Many parents are doing that with their kids now to hopefully have a better start to the day.

You may have already tried that, but it's only a suggestion. I hope you can find a solution. Good luck!

tom888
02-21-08, 03:44 PM
Thanks Mary for your hint - I have already read about it several times and was skeptical - now that you say it I am gonna try

Anybody knows anything about the Sunday Monday thing I am asking above???

Mary
02-21-08, 07:15 PM
Thanks Mary for your hint - I have already read about it several times and was skeptical - now that you say it I am gonna try

Anybody knows anything about the Sunday Monday thing I am asking above???

I've heard of Blue Monday for several years.... it's like a funk or depression after coming off the weekend. Falling asleep during class, etc. A lot of kids have it after being off school for the weekend. Trouble functioning in class... unable to concentrate on assignments. I remember it mentioned when I was in high school back in the 70's. That was before you heard anything about ADD.

Ulukabulu
02-21-08, 07:52 PM
There may be things you can do to at least make mornings a little more bearable - try a good five minutes out in the sun (or maybe melatonin tablets in the winter?) and 20 minutes or half an hour of light exercise first thing you wake up. Gotta be healthier for you than caffeine.

tom888
02-21-08, 08:41 PM
What do you think could it be if the symptom's were:totally depressed/down, excessive, sweating, freezing, hot and cold flashes, strong headache, light sensitive, very unconformable body feeling, dizzy..... Any idea?

Lady Lark
02-22-08, 12:39 AM
I know what made me look like a morning person, having kids. I can get up and hit the deck running, but I'm on auto pilot for the first hour. I did that in school too, since I hated waking up early I would give myself the least amount of time needed to be ready and out the door. Like it takes 20 min to be ready and at school, so I was waking up 25 min before I had to be in class.

i like the idea (if you can) of just going with it and adjusting your schedule. If you can't, why not try some exercise at night? it might give you more energy in the morning.

tom888
02-22-08, 01:08 AM
as described and as you can see with the symptoms it is a very serious issue since ca. 8 years and has nothing to do with schedule. it that effects my work life for the rest of the week. Liking the idea of just going with changing the schedule or doing some exercise makes absolutely no change.

Lady Lark
02-22-08, 11:25 AM
Have you talked with your doc about it?

tom888
02-22-08, 05:31 PM
Yes, with all the docs I had in the last years, therapists, sleep dudes. I have given up it is so damn strange, properly explaining it would take an entire session and they still don't get what I am talking about

background:
Primary school was a toucher,
So I was scared already of Mondays (- Sunday blues / Sunday night depression) (That was in the press some times in the last years so finally I had a name for it)
This got much better when I was more comfortable in high school, actually it was gone
When I was like 19/20 I noticed developing all these symptoms I mentioned above... (Monday blues or blue Monday, Press)

Now I took some time off work and i much better almost gone and I can actually talk about it.

My bold guess: it has something to do with anxiety/panic/phobia affecting sleep quality or inner clock from Sunday to Monday night which causes a serious imbalance.

btw I sleep normal that night....

I tried everything these years trust me! So I don't even bother to explain it to a physician anymore.

a docs fight the symptoms with painkillers
shrinks try this useless stuff, not expecting it, or ignoring it, or some newer kind of coping strategy

it got worse and worse by the years. Maybe you understand that I get kinda irritated when people say things like, try valerian, physical exercise, etc bla

it's a mystery, hoping for someone who hears me and likes to solve them. Further down is an expression which is, let's say almost perfect

It is always consoling to think of suicide: in that way one gets through many a bad night.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Lady Lark
02-23-08, 12:28 AM
OK, now I totally get not wanting the "usual" answers. I'm racking my brain trying to come up with something and I'm getting nothing. Not very helpful at all, I know.

Have you tried a anti-anxiety medication?

Dang, that's the best I can do now. I'll think on it and see if I can get any better ideas.

tom888
02-23-08, 01:07 AM
Great thanks! Very much appreciated. Right now I am very worried about another member here and also trying to put 2 and 2 together but it can be so damn hard.... I love the fact that people like us help each other that way!!!

My Dx last April was ADHD mixed and god knows what else, since 8 month I was trying medication: Dex is great then we found out Xanax works well too in combination and an NRI called Reboxetine (very Straterra like) does me good too! So that's my combo! So that strange feeling in my guts was anxiety - I did not know.... Anyway that did not change the Monday, must be something deeper inside.... The other day I got really scared when I remembered that in the beginning when it started and from time to time I experienced Euphoria Monday mornings..... If you think the same I was thinking then
It cannot be a Monday morning mania can it? That would be too damn crazy

we also tried:
effexor, cymbalta, and some more in combination with Aripiprazole, zyprexa and some more for mood stabilizing - NOTHING

the last and funniest thing is that now I have hit the ground totally:
some weeks ago I went to a supervising ginda expert he changed me to wellbutrin 150mg XL was ok then I went up to 300mg XL and *bang* total anxiety attack 1st one and of course the Wellbutrin also inhibited all benzos until today......I am a zombie since...help

another thing happend but that i say later as it is too much right now. i hope you can understand all this it's already 6 am here...

thanks for caring

Lady Lark
02-23-08, 03:52 PM
Monday morning mania doesn't really sound all that crazy to me. Start of the work week, and all the stresses that go along with that. I think I heard somewhere (could be way off here) that people have more heart attacks on Monday then any other day of the week. Wouldn't surprise me if that were true.

Maybe meditation?

Mary
02-24-08, 10:30 PM
Tom.. how was your home life during childhood? Stressful.... ? abusive in any way? ... etc..or a bully in early school years?? maybe it's something in your subconscious ..trying to keep a bad memory buried. It might explain in part some of that helpless, out of control feelings. It's just a thought...

tom888
02-25-08, 01:45 AM
Marry you are great!

The words you write are not nice but it is so very true, every single thing except that I was bullied a lot. I could tell you some details but it is enough when I tell you I already actually tried finishing it in prim school but it did not work out and I just hurt myself badly.

Today i feel totally strange. detached from by body unable to focus. I needed like 1hour to write this. i move really slow and by brain runs on 10%

Anyway, i have given up already, when in this crisis my best friend since childhood had to go home for dinner. then i send him an email to elaborate. no answer.I will never talk to him again.

Last week i opened up to an old and good friend from school. I told her about adhd and send her the wiki link. when i taled to her yesterday she did read the and asked me to send it again. **** em all

The other day my therapist totally ****ed me up. She got emotional because another doctor was consulted and he was kind of taking over. so she ****ed with my brains using stuff i toled her against me. saying wrong stuff about my insurance cover making me feel guilty saying i did not wanne change, asking strange questions, making me guilty/angry again for not consulting with her doctor friend.... i was so confused and did not know what to think....I really trusted her and had an almost friendship with her. she loved me to but when it was about her profoundness she coudnt hold it anymore. maybe because she is totally useless or emotional sick. now i hate her. if i had a tiny bit of energy left i would sue her ***.I am holding my breath while writing this.

i was doing big time coping until 27 when i got diagnosed. I wish they had never diagnosed me because ever sine I went down further and now I hit the ground badly.

Tom.. how was your home life during childhood? Stressful.... ? abusive in any way? ... etc..or a bully in early school years?? maybe it's something in your subconscious ..trying to keep a bad memory buried. It might explain in part some of that helpless, out of control feelings. It's just a thought...

Mary
02-25-08, 01:53 AM
Marry you are great!

The words you write are not nice but it is so very true, every single thing except that I was bullied a lot. I could tell you some details but it is enough when I tell you I already actually tried finishing it in prim school but it did not work out and I just hurt myself badly.

Today i feel totally strange. detached from by body unable to focus. I needed like 1hour to write this. i move really slow and by brain runs on 10%

Anyway, i have given up already, when in this crisis my best friend since childhood had to go home for dinner. then i send him an email to elaborate. no answer.I will never talk to him again.

Last week i opened up to an old and good friend from school. I told her about adhd and send her the wiki link. when i taled to her yesterday she did read the and asked me to send it again. **** em all

The other day my therapist totally ****ed me up. She got emotional because another doctor was consulted and he was kind of taking over. so she ****ed with my brains using stuff i toled her against me. saying wrong stuff about my insurance cover making me feel guilty saying i did not wanne change, asking strange questions, making me guilty/angry again for not consulting with her doctor friend.... i was so confused and did not know what to think....I really trusted her and had an almost friendship with her. she loved me to but when it was about her profoundness she coudnt hold it anymore. maybe because she is totally useless or emotional sick. now i hate her. if i had a tiny bit of energy left i would sue her ***.I am holding my breath while writing this.

i was doing big time coping until 27 when i got diagnosed. I wish they had never diagnosed me because ever sine I went down further and now I hit the ground badly.

In part I can understand... from 4th to 6th grade this guy would punch me in the stomach every day before lunch. So giant hugs to you, Tom....!

Lady Lark
02-25-08, 11:13 AM
Is it possible that you're having a bad reaction to the medication you're on?

tom888
02-25-08, 11:25 AM
i was! i took that all promising pice of **** wellbutrin

today is great!
i cannot leave the house since that anyway, the last 5 years I traveled in different countries... funny
every noise scares me
and my heard pounds like 400 beets a min up to my thruoght

the wellbutrin triggered something in me , directly or indirectly ,and it did something to my metabolism, changed the enzymes or so. I am totally tolerant against all benzos and get anxiety like hell.

so i changed the 200mg of zoloft which is not showing any effect either - welcome to hell

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48754

tom888
02-25-08, 11:31 AM
Is it possible that you're having a bad reaction to the medication you're on?

sorry forgot to answer you question. only the dex is really working for focus, I have tried all the other toxics out even even this other stuff, lamictal, abilify, zyprexa in combination - ****ing Smarties in every way

sorry for being short, mut i am shaking and kinda aggressive :-)

tom888
02-25-08, 11:36 AM
oh, about the sudden wellbutrin tolerance... I took 8mg xanax today, 2mg conazepam in the morning

I should be sleeping like bum on a bench but it goes right "down the drain"

QueensU_girl
02-26-08, 11:35 PM
If you take Xanax and Clonazepam in the AMs, you possibly won't be doing much.

That's a LOT of meds.... Those drugs can affect memory too, btw.

tom888
02-27-08, 04:27 AM
If you take Xanax and Clonazepam in the AMs, you possibly won't be doing much.

That's a LOT of meds.... Those drugs can affect memory too, btw.

That is my point, I did not feel thr 8 mg or the rivotril. wellbutrin totally blocked it

dyingInside
02-28-08, 07:59 PM
Tom I have this problem too (not being an AM person). I used to have to be at work at 6 am and it was hell, that situation even contributed to my divorce, b/c she wanted to go out and party Fridays and I had to be at work at 6 on Saturday, NE wayz 'nuff said.

I too am most productive in the late afternoon and evening. It's been that way since childhood!!! I drink lots of coffee and when I can.

I can get up early if I go to bed early, but it's the 2-4 hour lag where I'm totally unproductive that really kills... the AM job I had didn't require much at that time slot. Then I switched to the opposite schedule, and that was hard too because I had to be up at school during the week, so my clock was on/off at all different times... By 3:30 AM I got really cold and tired. So my natural alertness window is about 4-5 pm to around 1 am I think. I used to get physically sick over working the swing shift. That's when I discovered my ADHD, because my memory and alertness was getting so bad, I could barely read more than a few pages before the words just started swimming.

The only way for me to wake up at 6 am without an alarm clock is to go to bed at 8 pm, which is pretty unlikely.

All I can suggest is get some exercise. Get plenty of sun on the weekends, and get out in nature. Also watch your foods- find out which ones make you feel tired or sapped. Raw onions are a no-no for me, I pick 'em off of burgers. I have to eat peanut butter in small doses too.

I would slow down on the drugs, but that's just me, I'm afraid of taking too many prescriptions. I guess you have to work that out with your doctor.

I'm curious, do you have problems with your teeth or gums? Stomach ulcers? Migraines?

QueensU_girl
03-07-08, 12:11 PM
The trick to getting up early each day is to do it EVERY DAY w/o fail.

tom888
03-07-08, 07:45 PM
I totally agree and that works perfectly for everybody especially for us, until the Monday comes, and let me assure you it comes again and again on a weekly basis :-)

it is like that i wanne kill myself that day with these symptoms, thats how it feels. How can my entire biochemistry get out of sync that bad? so far i know, the working Monday triggers it... thats all. I have it for many years I tried all there is to try

it must be something like post traumatic stress disorder that I am not aware of or what mania or what in the world could get me these symptoms?

tom

reesah
03-08-08, 02:41 PM
I read something about nightowls, that our bodies are just wired to be more alert in the evening than the daytime. it's just a difference not a disorder for most people like this.

my solution was to work second shift, I work 5pm til 11 or 12. I wake up at weird times and sometimes can't sleep til 7 or 8 am...but since I work during my peak hours its way easier for me.

I really hate mornings, too.

tom888
03-08-08, 05:14 PM
thanks buddy,

most of us ADD love the night/darkness. Why? Less stimuli. Wouldn't you agree?

and of course in depression or anxiety serotonin is released in conjunction with melatonine or the other way round , which has a calming and pleasant effect too

thanks for your contribution but my actual problem is further up the site

civicmon
03-09-08, 10:03 PM
Not sure if it's mentioned but regular exercise is the only thing that ever kept me on a standard 11-7am sleeping schedule.

I agree with the lack of stimuli/TVs/radios when trying to go to sleep. I'm listening to music right now at 10pm local time but by 1030 the light's off and 11pm or thereabouts I'm out.

I already feel really tired as it is. If I don't exercise, I'm awake till 1-2am.

I'm a fitness junkie but 30 min on a treadmill/bike at a moderate "workout" pace should be enough for most to wear them out earlier in the evening. I workout after work (6-7pm) which some don't advise since it "awakens" them but I found it to be the opposite. If you find this to be true, try working out earlier if possible.

I, too, am a night owl and live for long, warm nights but unfortunately, my employer doesn't share the same love of darkness that I do :(

Tyboulder
04-30-08, 09:28 AM
This guy seems to really be on to some great ideas:

http://zenhabits.net/2007/05/10-benefits-of-rising-early-and-how-to-do-it/

RedSkittles
04-01-09, 07:16 PM
im a night owl. I dont no why, its not that i have insomnia, but i dont do homework until about 9! lol