View Full Version : Try Being a Resource Room Teacher with ADD

stanleycupkjb
02-19-08, 06:40 PM
I am mid-winter break right now, and I have finally caught up with lesson plans and grading. The next big thing is RTI I only have 10 kids waiting to be tested and another 15 to process through RTI. Which 18 is my caseload limit and will put me be way over. Because I know they will all qualify. But at least at work my kids keep from ever getting bored.

Rebs
02-21-08, 02:55 PM
Oy, tell me about it! (By the way, mid winter break? LUCKY!!!) I've been a resource teacher (more like "inclusion support") for the past three years... way different from the previous 12 years of having my own spec. ed. classroom. Not that doing self-contained was easy, it was just that my little/big ADD issues were not quite so flagrantly displayed to a large range of people!!!

So how long have you been teaching? Any secrets to share for how to cope with it all?

Glad to see another special ed teacher! =)

Rebs

stormkat
03-04-08, 09:04 PM
I am so glad to see other resource room teachers here! I have taught in special ed for about 7 years. The longer I teach, the more burnt out I feel. I think it has a lot to do with ADD. I have always had a hard time organizing and "using my time wisely". With 25 on my caseload and new ones to test almost weekly, I just can't seem to get on top of things. I would really like to try something else for awhile, but I have no idea what.

How do you all handle the paperwork, lesson plans, meetings etc? I feel pretty bad about myself for not being able to handle it all easily.

Sorry for the pity party! I am just glad to hear about other people in similar situations!

Rebs
03-19-08, 06:46 AM
It's only taken me forever to actually respond to this thread - I hope stormkat and stanleycupkjb are still following it!! I have to thank both of you for posting …. your questions got me to thinking about what I do to address these issues, and (in spite of my usual mindset of self-doubt and internal criticism) I was able to see that I really have made some improvements. I really have made progress lately! I just wasn’t seeing it. Long way to go, but until thinking about how to respond to this thread, I really didn't (couldn’t? wouldn’t?) see my progress. So thank you!
<o></o>
As for paperwork and lesson planning - sigh. I haven’t made much headway with all my difficulties with that end of things. I could spout off lots of platitudes I guess, but so far I’ve not been successful in implementing any of them myself.
<o></o>
BUT…. I have figured out a system for at least somewhat managing the day-to-day scheduling/meetings/being prepared for classes problems, and I thought I’d describe the system I’m using. Maybe something about it will be helpful for someone?

The year I became an “inclusion support teacher” (my previous years of teaching self-contained did not prepare me in the least!), I purchased a 3-ring binder, bulldog clips, brightly colored tabbed pocket folders, a small notepad, a pocket calendar, a calculator and a pencil pouch that fit onto the rings, and some other assorted helpful items. This is my prosthetic BRAIN – short term and long term memory storage!!! Without it I’d not remember a thing. I even carry a printout of my daily schedule clipped to it (I STILL forget where I’m supposed to be at times, and it’s the end of 3<sup>rd</sup> quarter!!!) that also has the schedules of all each kid on my caseload.
<o></o>
As long as I remember to a) write EVERY THING down, and b) LOOK AT IT periodically throughout the day, and c) DO the things that are written down.... then it sort of works. It’s better than before, anyway!<o></o>
I put pictures of it in my profile – feel free to take a look

stormkat - I absolutely know how it is with feeling burned out.... let me know if you come up with an alternative!! =)

Chelsea17
03-21-08, 09:00 PM
I am mid-winter break right now, and I have finally caught up with lesson plans and grading. The next big thing is RTI I only have 10 kids waiting to be tested and another 15 to process through RTI. Which 18 is my caseload limit and will put me be way over. Because I know they will all qualify. But at least at work my kids keep from ever getting bored.

Do you mind explaining to me what exactly a resource room teacher's job is? I am thinking about becoming a Special Education Teacher. Thanks in advance! :)

stormkat
03-24-08, 11:36 PM
Hey Rebs,

I liked the pics of the"brain". I always try to get a good organization system going, but then I never use it the way I should!! The binder is a great way to keep everything together. I really liked the pencil pouch - I am alwasys misplacing pens and pencils! Funny thing is, as long as I write down IEP meeting dates and times somewhere I seem to remember them. I still don't get my paperwork done in a timely manner though. I manage to get it done, but it is usually the night before the meeting.
We have been on spring break for a couple days and it is always hard to get back to work after time off. That is why I am on the computer and not getting ready for tomorrow. I suppose that is an ADD thing? (or maybe just a bad habit?) Why do something now when you could put it off?!?! (maybe what you are avoiding won't ever happen - like having to go back to work!):)

As for an alternative...nothing yet, but not for a lack of looking. I love special education. I just think I would like something in the field that doesn't require lesson planning!

stormkat

CrisF
04-06-08, 09:13 AM
Hello all *walks into room waving*

I am an ESL teacher at 2 schools. I have ADD also. 2 sets of schedules, testing, lessons plans (because the two schools and students are very different), parent/teacher meetings, committees, translating for the hispanic population etc. are crazy.

I use my phone as my prosthetic memory. I use the calendar, voice recorder and 'to do' list for everything from meetings to taking my medidcation to buying gas for the car when I need it. I also have a dail written 'to do' list of things I want or need to accomplish at school.

I hope you don't mind me intruding here. :>l

Stormkat was talking about an alternate. I have duel certification in ESL and AIG (gifted and tallented). I did it hoping to use some of the AIG classes to help with my ESL lic, but they wouldn't let me...anyway. I have found that the things I learned in the AIG classes have helped me immensely (sp?) with ESL - critical thinking and all. In NC AIG was an add-on lic. at that time. Perhaps you can do something like that. It is very interesting and stimulating, at the very least. (The AIG teacher got me started on thinking I was ADD. He knew, long before I did!! ;>] )

AIG also falls under the Special Ed umbrella here.....

Chelsea17, simplified, a resource teacher is a Special Education teacher. They help students who have qualified in language arts (especially reading and writing), math and other subjects as needed.

A question for you all. How many kids qualify for resource who are primarily ADD? I know this is a very diffecult question because there are co-issues but do you have any who are delayed because of the ADD?

the other thing that drew me to this thread was the mention of RtI. One of my schools has just started it in the past year. I have not been trained but am very interested. I am even thinking of transfering my son to this school (against every transportation and scheduling possibility in my life). How do you like it? Do you think it is good?

Cris