View Full Version : Neuro Psychological Assessment

Pray4Him
02-19-08, 06:51 PM
I had an assessment done on my son when he was 10 but I am not sure that this is what it was called.
He is now 15 and in a heep of trouble. I have changed meds and he is now seeing a councelor who is in the process of setting this up.
What exactly is a neuro psychological assessment? Are they accurate?
Part of me really wants this so we can see exactly what we are dealing with. Part of me wants to run into a corner and hide because I am scared of what we might find out. Does that make me a horrible person?

FrazzleDazzle
02-19-08, 07:02 PM
Hi there again!

This does not make you a horrible person. It is very normal to feel as you do about this, and if you have been here a while, you will see others say the same thing as you just did! :o You want to know, but you are aprehensive about knowing. I put off having my son go through one for the same reasons, but let me tell you, having a professional evalute your son will releive you so very much, and then then they will sit down with you and your son and discuss the results and go about ways to remediate.

My son went through one about a year ago. They will ask you and him some questions after sending you a questionaire probably, then go from there on the batteries of tests they will perform. They will look for learning issues and psychological isssues underlying. Some evals last hours and days, dependig on what the initial issues are. My son's lasted a good part of the day, he was exhausted afterwards. Then, we came back for the report visit and recommendations, which were wonderful, and we have followed up on most of them with sucess.

I'm sooo happy for you that you have taken this step, and, as scary as it is to see what's there, this will allow him to move forward in constructive ways. Info truly is power in these kinds of situations.

How does your son feel about going?

Pray4Him
02-19-08, 07:10 PM
He is ok with going. Right now he is very low and thinks he is a freak. I think once we have some answers it will hopefully put his mind at rest to know exactly what is going on and what we can do to put him on the right path.
Tahnks for saying I am not a bad person. Sometimes I think this is harder on me then it is on him. I struggle over guilt everyday thinking there is something I could have done to prevent what he is going through now.
It's easy for everyone to say that at 15 he makes his own choices but when you are the Mom I think you tend to take it more personally.

FrazzleDazzle
02-19-08, 07:17 PM
Glad he's okay about going. It's soo hard to see them struggle, and be sooo different from the way we are (gosh, we are equipped to handle little versions of ourselves!) they so throw us for a loop, but, you are doing a very brave and proactive thing by seeing his struggles and getting him going and getting information. Many kids flounder with no parental support (they think they will just grow out of it, or rights of passage or something). It's easy to have guilt from not understanding, but the best thing you can do is what you are doing, and even though he is old enough to make his own choices, you are still his only advocate and that you will love him unconditionally no matter what and see him through whatever come of the eval.

You are doing great. Thanks for the update too, I've been wondering about him.
When is the appointment?

Pray4Him
02-19-08, 10:01 PM
It is soon tho I am not sure of an exact date. The councelor we have is through our provinces mental health unit and he is going to do it through them so we don't have to pay. It's two thousand dollars and I just can't do it right now with the legal fees. The councellor said he is 2nd or 3rd on the list so I am hoping it is within a month.
Thanks for taking the time to post back. We haven't told anyone except my sister whats been going on and sometimes it feels like I could scream at a wall. This is a wonderful place to come and vent and most of all get reassurance. :)

Imnapl
02-19-08, 10:34 PM
Pray4Him, I thought of something that might make you feel better. John Bradshaw was the guest on a talk show and the host told Mr. Bradshaw that it sounded like all families were dysfunctional. John Bradshaw replied that all families have problems, dysfunctional families don't do anything about their problems.

Pray4Him, you are trying to do something about the problems in your family and getting help with it.

~boots~
02-19-08, 10:38 PM
P4H ...you are doing a great job...you are active in trying to sorting this problem quickly, and you have your son's best interests at heart...

he's not a freak, and you are great Mum ..
Good luck with the assessment
hugs
xx

FrazzleDazzle
02-19-08, 10:41 PM
Yeah, what she said! My son's not a freak. Your son's not a freak! :D

~boots~
02-19-08, 10:42 PM
Yeah, what she said! My son's not a freak. Your son's not a freak! :D
LOL..I was about to join in with
"yeah, but MINE is" :D but I thought I'd better not...

P4H..it'll all work out for the best :p

FrazzleDazzle
02-19-08, 10:47 PM
Girls, in all honesty, what ~normal~ 15-year-old teenager male is NOT freaky somehow? :p

Please take that with the humor with which it was intended??

~boots~
02-19-08, 11:01 PM
Girls, in all honesty, what ~normal~ 15-year-old teenager male is NOT freaky somehow? :p

Please take that with the humor with which it was intended??
we did ;)
we will :)
we are :)

P4H

we're here for you