View Full Version : Any horse people out there?

20trackedmind
02-20-08, 12:05 AM
I was just wondering if there were any people who are into riding or showing horses. I know for me, my horse is a great outlet for me and my ADHD. When I ride, I am the most focused and my horse loves me no matter what stupid thing comes out of my mouth. Would love to know if anyone else felt the same way.

Scattered
02-20-08, 01:40 AM
I unfortunately don't have horses right now (although we really hope to remedy that one of these days), but I did have them through much of my growing up years. They are definately calming and focusing for me. A great wholesome way to get stimulation! My two ADD kids also are absolutely bonkers over horses and have had lessons and are begging for more.

20trackedmind
02-20-08, 01:56 AM
My son is also adhd like me, and he loves my horse. Riding my horse is the only thing that keeps him still for 10 minutes.

Sometimes I think my horse was what kept me on the straight and narrow growing up.

Sandy4957
02-20-08, 01:56 AM
Yes. I have a 23 y.o. Morgan mare. I was talking with the therapist before I was diagnosed, and she was trying to convince me that I had ADD and I wasn't buying it (I thought that I just lacked discipline). In the process, something came up about the horse stuff, and I came to realize that one of the reasons that it's so relaxing for me is that, when I'm with my little girl, I have to have constant vigilance for escape routes, etc., not because she'd ever try to hurt me, but she's a 1000 lb. flight animal. So I'm hyperfocusing, more or less, even though it doesn't feel like it. And it's like a drug. I damn near fall asleep driving home because I'm so relaxed afterwards.

20trackedmind
02-20-08, 02:02 AM
Yes. I have a 23 y.o. Morgan mare. I was talking with the therapist before I was diagnosed, and she was trying to convince me that I had ADD and I wasn't buying it (I thought that I just lacked discipline). In the process, something came up about the horse stuff, and I came to realize that one of the reasons that it's so relaxing for me is that, when I'm with my little girl, I have to have constant vigilance for escape routes, etc., not because she'd ever try to hurt me, but she's a 1000 lb. flight animal. So I'm hyperfocusing, more or less, even though it doesn't feel like it. And it's like a drug. I damn near fall asleep driving home because I'm so relaxed afterwards.

Wow! That really explains alot! I am addicted and when I am horseless, my life gets crazy. Well, if I am going to be addicted, I guess it might as well be to my ol' gelding Shy. Worth his weight in Gold for what he saves me in therapy bills.

RiderWriter
02-22-08, 11:50 AM
Yup. I have a retired racing Thoroughbred. She's a joy to me.

SuzzanneX
02-22-08, 12:26 PM
I'm a little horse. http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b219/suzannex/avatars/2horse2.gif

hehe

Matt S.
02-22-08, 01:18 PM
I took riding lessons as a kid for about 6 months it was fun, plus I am an animal lover. I would say that horses are cute, I was like 5 and I was feeding one hay and got my fingers almost bit off so I am fearful about feeding them but they are very gentle creatures.

Chanston
02-22-08, 09:28 PM
Sheesh, what a misleading title! I thought this was for tragically mutated humans, but I guess not....

All horrible jokes aside, I know lots of people who really enjoy riding horses, and I admit I have been toying with the idea lately.......Do you get thrown off a lot?

despirit
02-22-08, 09:48 PM
Sheesh, what a misleading title! I thought this was for tragically mutated humans, but I guess not....

Haha. I also envisioned some monsterous cross between a human and a horse.

lunaslobo
02-24-08, 12:35 AM
here i thought it was about those who could not talk. my sister inlaw boards horses and trains them.

20trackedmind
02-24-08, 08:08 PM

All horrible jokes aside, I know lots of people who really enjoy riding horses, and I admit I have been toying with the idea lately.......Do you get thrown off a lot?

Nah, just take lessons. It is cheaper than buying a horse anyhow and you can see if ya like it! I just bought a 4yr old thoroughbred right off the track... I plan to get some great adrinaline rushes before he kills me;-)

Uneek1
02-24-08, 09:14 PM
I love horses!!! Never had one and probably never will though. I have such bad knees, I can't ride. Well, I could probably ride but I wouldn't be able to get on and off the saddle. I grew up reading Marguerite Henry books and I'm STILL addicted to Misty! Someday I'm gonna go to Chincoteague, Virginia! For those of you with horses, I'll just be a bit jealous of you....

Sandy4957
02-26-08, 12:01 AM
(Knocks wood.)

Haven't ever been thrown. Not that my little girl hasn't tried! I fell off my first horse when I was 12, but not because she threw me. It was entirely my fault. I raced her between two sets of railroad tracks with my knees hiked up like a jockey, bareback and (of course) helmetless since no one wore helmets back then. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid. She stopped dead when she stepped on some rocks and I flipped off onto one of the tracks. Left a bruise three inches wide across my back and knocked the wind out of me.
She just stared at me like, "What are you doing down there?"

When my knees hurt I ride bareback. Tons of fun. Requires a ton of hyperfocus.

20trackedmind
02-29-08, 01:42 PM
Ouch!

adhdogwalker
03-11-08, 05:41 PM
Yes. I have a mustang/tb cross mare. I grew up in Hunt Country in VA and some of my first jobs were exercising horses for people. In my adult life, I spent a few years working with horses, as a barn manager & also as an exercise rider. I even taught riding lessons for a while when I moved back to NY. I loved it, but switched to dog walking because I make a lot more $ that way. I miss riding horse after horse all day! I've retrained a lot of OTTBs for showing-- both hunters and jumpers. I enjoyed the training part, but would become a nervous wreck if I actually had to show them. I get bored easily riding in the arena, so I just trail ride my mare. I'd love to foxhunt again (I worked for the huntmaster as a teenager, so I got to go all the time), but it's totally non-affordable in the NY area.

I think that ADHD is actually a plus when dealing with horses. I can always immediately identify what my horse is spooking at or things that she might spook at because I immediately detect anything different or out of place about my surroundings. Since horses are prey animals, they do this as a matter of course. I believe my sensitivity enables me to be a better rider in general because I am very attuned to the horse I'm riding.

And for those of you with bad knees-- look into gaited horses. A lot of people with knee and back problems love them because they get to have all the fun of riding without all the jarring (unless you get dumped, of course :)).

Sandy4957
03-12-08, 02:13 AM
The best ride I ever had on a horse that was not my own was in Central Park in NYC. We rented horses from that riding stable that was right off the park (it just closed, unfortunately), rode the horses right down 5th Avenue, as I recall, and then rode into the park and all around in it. Wonderful. What a thrill!

adhdogwalker
03-25-08, 01:26 AM
You should read the book "Horse People" by Michael Korda. Not only is it one of the best horse books I've read, but he has lots of great stories about riding at Claremont Stables and in Central Park.

Sandy4957
03-31-08, 04:55 AM
Hey, thanks, Dogwalker! I'll look for it. Claremont Stables was amazing. Not sure that I'd have loved being a horse there because they were indoors all the time, but they did get rotated out for a break every three months.

Yup, that was where we rented. I couldn't believe it when they just turned us loose out on Manhattan city streets on horseback!

Sandy.

20trackedmind
04-09-08, 06:44 PM
ADHDogwalker said...
I think that ADHD is actually a plus when dealing with horses. I can always immediately identify what my horse is spooking at or things that she might spook at because I immediately detect anything different or out of place about my surroundings. Since horses are prey animals, they do this as a matter of course. I believe my sensitivity enables me to be a better rider in general because I am very attuned to the horse I'm riding.

I agree. I am doing dressage now and have to think about what every muscle in my body is telling my horse. So, normally thinking about 20 things at one time is a huge plus. I love my OTTB. He is only 4 and at the trainers now, but cant wait to get him back this June!

Asylum
04-15-08, 11:07 PM
Hi! I'm a horse person. I have two horses, one who is retired (he's 31years old!) and an ex-racehorse who is now semi-retired. I can hack him but can't jump or school him hard. Since he's only a pleasure mount (And i use that word loosely, he's rarely a pleasure to ride) I'm just starting to teach him Western riding, but its all a bit hopeless because i don't know anything about Western! I've been practising 'English style' since i was a little tacker. Yesterday i saddled him up with a cheat sheet of basic Western aids in my back pocket and we practised for awhile. It was absolute chaos - when you ride english you keep constant contact with mouth and with your legs, but with western the riens and loose and your legs have no contact unless you're turning etc, so my horse is wandering around like a car that isn't being steered - i have no idea how i'm supposed to keep him in a straight line! So i don't know what to do about that.
The last time Charlie had a bucking fit i came off and hit the ground REALLY hard. Hurt my neck but nothing serious. Its frustrating not being able to ride properly - most of my megre income goes to my two useless horses! But i love them too much to give them away. I'm saving up for another horse, hopefully this year.
I might get a Standardbred. I keep them in the next town, so i only see them three times a week.
Cheers!

Sandy4957
04-16-08, 09:10 PM
A friend sent this to me and I thought that it had some fun stuff in it:

THINGS YOU LEARN WHEN YOU OWN A HORSE
1. People who don't take care of their own horses will be the first ones to tell you how to care for yours.
2. You should never buy a cheap girth!
3. A handsome horse who's badly behaved will become a lot less attractive in about 15 minutes.
4. People who think they have nothing more to learn about riding, hit the ground the hardest.
5. Children and ponies are natural allies and often have identical dispositions.
6. The richest horse people most often look the poorest.
7. The closeness of a horse is one of the sweetest smells in the world.
8. A solitary ride through the woods is more beneficial then six months with the best psychiatrist.
9. The worse a person rides the more likely they are going to blame it on the horse.
10. The best thing about going to the barn first thing in the morning is that horses don't care how you look.
11. If a dealer insists a horse is worth twice what he's asking he's usually worth half that much.
12. The best way to appreciate how another person rides is to get on their horse, but it can be a quick way to get hurt.
13. It is not wise to argue with something that outweighs you by 1,000 pounds
14. I'd rather have a horse with a perfect mind then a perfect head.
15. If you think you have left the water on in the barn you have, if you think you have closed the pasture gate, you haven't.
16. When someone asks you if you like their horse always say 'yes'.
17. The happiest people I know own horses, dogs, cats and at least one deranged goat.
18. If you're looking for the perfect horse you will never own one.
19. Owning a horse can either make a marriage or break it.
20. If someone says that horse has a little buck, it has a BIG buck.
21. If we need rain, schedule a show.
22. A clean stables and a sparkling horse are among life's great pleasures.
23. Even free horses can be too expensive. Especially, free horses.
24. A more expensive horse doesn't make a better one.
25. I will never ever have an empty stable and I have accepted that fact.
26. Losing a horse can break your heart, but it will have been worth it.
'If you can't imagine life without a horse... DON'T

texasmissb
04-16-08, 10:44 PM
Cool thread! I'll have to get the pictures up of all my guys. My avitar is a 3 yr reg. paint gelding. All of mine were recently bought at a livestock sale. I have trained and shown english and western pleasure about 20 yrs ago. With western pleasure it just got rediculous on what was winning, head lower than topline, horses very thin, doing a 4 beat lope, people see-sawing on the horses mouth when judge wasnt looking and in warm up. I switched to english and the only differance was the tack in any of the stock horse (ex: AQHA,APHA) shows, they were not on the bit. I also gave lessons, and boarded horses. I did not like training for others but back then did well buying-training-and selling. With the ones I have now my intention was to keep them from "going for meat" train most of these guys and sale them to good homes. There would be definatly no money made now but would give them a better chance at keeping homed. Now boyfriend really wants to keep all of them, I dont blame him as its too easy to get attached. The older APHA mare shes 22 and her yearling foal are his, he kind of claimed them. He doesnt know how to ride and I dont have a suitable lesson horse. His old mare managed to dump me twice in a 30 min ride. If I worked with her she would probably be o.k. but I have a green broke 4 yr appendix mare who will be better for him. And I would like for her to just get to live out the rest of her days in the pasture. I haven't done anything with any of them yet as the round pen isn't finished but...almost. As much as I complain about my boyfriend he has built me an awsome pen and fencing. All of them are in fair shape, the arabian mare is too thin still, she was a rack of bones. She is my favorite and I will keep her for my own. She is 11yrs and has a club foot (looks like a mule hoof). She has a colt that is about 5-7 months old. She loves people and gets along well with the two geldings but is horrible with the other mares. Anyway they all cost me a fortune especially because its been winter and we had to buy hay but the pasture is getting good now which will get the feed bill way down. I'm very excited about the pens getting finished and hope that when I am put on the ADD meds I'll motivate more with them. My animals have always been a constant in my life and I'm grateful for them. We also have 4 goats and one fits in the deranged catigory! I'll get some pics up of him too.

texasmissb
04-17-08, 05:42 PM
Hey I uploaded in my album, the pics of some more of my guys, plus one deranged goat!

20trackedmind
04-30-08, 12:31 AM
lOVE THE HORSE LIST! I HAVE AN OTTB AND LOVE HIM! HE IS ONLY 4 AND I HAVE HAD HIM 3 MONTHS BUT, HE IS MAKING GREAT PROGRESS.

20trackedmind
05-01-08, 01:20 AM
Cool thread! I'll have to get the pictures up of all my guys. My avitar is a 3 yr reg. paint gelding. All of mine were recently bought at a livestock sale. I have trained and shown english and western pleasure about 20 yrs ago. With western pleasure it just got rediculous on what was winning, head lower than topline, horses very thin, doing a 4 beat lope, people see-sawing on the horses mouth when judge wasnt looking and in warm up. I switched to english and the only differance was the tack in any of the stock horse (ex: AQHA,APHA) shows, they were not on the bit. I also gave lessons, and boarded horses. I did not like training for others but back then did well buying-training-and selling. With the ones I have now my intention was to keep them from "going for meat" train most of these guys and sale them to good homes. There would be definatly no money made now but would give them a better chance at keeping homed. Now boyfriend really wants to keep all of them, I dont blame him as its too easy to get attached. The older APHA mare shes 22 and her yearling foal are his, he kind of claimed them. He doesnt know how to ride and I dont have a suitable lesson horse. His old mare managed to dump me twice in a 30 min ride. If I worked with her she would probably be o.k. but I have a green broke 4 yr appendix mare who will be better for him. And I would like for her to just get to live out the rest of her days in the pasture. I haven't done anything with any of them yet as the round pen isn't finished but...almost. As much as I complain about my boyfriend he has built me an awsome pen and fencing. All of them are in fair shape, the arabian mare is too thin still, she was a rack of bones. She is my favorite and I will keep her for my own. She is 11yrs and has a club foot (looks like a mule hoof). She has a colt that is about 5-7 months old. She loves people and gets along well with the two geldings but is horrible with the other mares. Anyway they all cost me a fortune especially because its been winter and we had to buy hay but the pasture is getting good now which will get the feed bill way down. I'm very excited about the pens getting finished and hope that when I am put on the ADD meds I'll motivate more with them. My animals have always been a constant in my life and I'm grateful for them. We also have 4 goats and one fits in the deranged catigory! I'll get some pics up of him too.

WOW! That is awesome that you can rescue horses and find them new homes. I admire people like you.

I always cringe when I see a craigeslist add for an old horse someone has owned for years and now, wants to give away. Like someone else wants to feed their old horse who has served them for years. Most the time, you know where they end up:-(

This is why my old gelding wil spend the rest of his days with me!

DaveHawk
05-01-08, 09:11 AM
I stay in a bunk house in the stables of a friend who raises and trains Fox Hunting and Venting Horses when I go to visit my son in Va.
I have learned allot about horses over the past 2 years. Just hanging out at the stables.

I love the birthing process and I am amazed at a 18 hand horse. I never realized how much character they have.

texasmissb
05-01-08, 09:49 AM
WOW! That is awesome that you can rescue horses and find them new homes. I admire people like you.

I always cringe when I see a craigeslist add for an old horse someone has owned for years and now, wants to give away. Like someone else wants to feed their old horse who has served them for years. Most the time, you know where they end up:-(

This is why my old gelding wil spend the rest of his days with me!

Your horse is beautiful!
Yea its just to weird how someone can keep a horse, ride it all the time, and "trade it off" for a new younger model. People have this idea that there are all these homes that will take their old horse and put it to pasture. They haul them to the auction either ignorant of the meat buyers there that are now shipping to Canada and Mexico, which actually is even worse to put them through the transport. Many of these are OTTB with injuries, cant become breeding stock, or were niot fast enough to save their own life. The same with the dog racing, everyone thinks that with the little adoption facility at the track that, "Oh how sweet they find them homes", very small percentage of those dogs are homed. Anyway I could go on and on and we have have a animal welfare group on this forum which that really rocks! I will probably end up keeping all or most of mine. My boyfriend is getting really soft about the animals and when I mention re homing any of the dogs or horses he gets sorta mad. He gripes about the money it cost but this morning said he was going to look at a tractor which means we can plant summer and winter grass which will save major dollars. He also reads adds off Craigs list to me and I'm the one saying no more. There is a fuglyhorse blog that is my favorite and "rewrites" the craigs list adds.
There are a lot of nature and animals lovers on this forum and like Asylum posted I think it does have something to do with us being more intuitive= "in tune with", than most. Also many of us have suffered abuse because of our ADD and that seems to make us have more empathy. Just another way us adders rule ;).

20trackedmind
05-01-08, 11:12 PM
There is a fuglyhorse blog that is my favorite and "rewrites" the craigs list adds.
There are a lot of nature and animals lovers on this forum and like Asylum posted I think it does have something to do with us being more intuitive= "in tune with", than most. Also many of us have suffered abuse because of our ADD and that seems to make us have more empathy. Just another way us adders rule ;).

OMG I love Fugly! I am a huge fan but, I admit, I lurk and never post. I am HorseFan, what is your blog name?

True North
05-02-08, 12:15 AM
I am a horse person :) I live on a small hobby farm with seven horses, mostly Welsh or Welsh x Morgan.

Sandy4957
05-02-08, 12:28 AM
Hey TrueNorth,

That is ONE stretchy kitty you got there!!!

Got me a 23 y.o. Morgan mare, btw. Loves those Welshes. A, B, C, or D? Or are there more? :D

And yeah, my little girl's mine 'til she can't get around comfortably or whatever. That's just the deal, in my book...

True North
05-02-08, 12:40 AM
haha yes, she certainly is stretchy. I can show you a ton of other pics if you are interested. She has some very interesting ways to sleep. She sleeps like a frog, it's her favourite position!

Mostly A and B's I believe. I don't know the different sections very well, but they are all great horses! I don't own any of them (I had a mini but I had to sell him a few years back) but I love taking care of them!

The horse in my avatar is my favourite there. He's one of the Welsh x Morgans and is a two year old gelding named Sean. He's such a sweetie and a total character!

chickatty
05-02-08, 07:50 AM
I have a three year old American Mustang that I adopted through the Bureau of Land Managemen when he was sixteen months old. His name is Willie and he's the love of my life. I never thought about it until I read this thread, but the part about the hyperfocus is totally true. If I'm stressed or depressed or anxious I can go to the barn to groom and ride and play with and I am totally in a different zone. I explained it to a friend once and he smiled and said "That's your Happy Place, isn't it?"

And you're right, Sandy. You have to really pay attention when you're hanging on to the back foot of a thousand pounds of horse that can knock you into the side of a concrete block barn, head first, with a flick of his butt. That's how I got the concussion.....

Penny2007
05-04-08, 03:52 PM
Hello

I have three; 26 yo welsh sec. B, 14 yo coloured cob and a rising 5 welsh x arab

They are my life :)

HorseMad
12-13-08, 12:37 PM
I'm another horsey girl!

I've been riding since I was five years old, stopped riding at 17 and went totally off the rails... until I started riding again. It's my total release from the world, I love it.

Don't own my own horse, but a friend has a riding school so I ride for her six days a week exercising the horses, very excited about hacking a gorgeous ex-eventer tomorrow.

I've always been a bit nervous but I've come to the conclusion I have some sort of ADHD related anxiety disorder, so that has to be the worse aspect of my ADHD, wish I was fearless (mind you, if you'd have seen me on the bronking horse last week you'd have thought I was! :D)

qhcowgirl
12-13-08, 12:50 PM
Used to exercise ride, ride colts, and train horses and worked at the standardbred track for awhile. Loved breaking horses. Did that for quite awhile. Now I just have my 4 yr old paint gelding.

http://photos-e.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-snc1/v341/143/21/192600492/n192600492_30094668_3534.jpg

HorseMad
12-13-08, 01:22 PM
qhcowgirl (http://www.addforums.com/forums/member.php?u=23183) that is one gorgeous horse!

This is my old loan horse:

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r55/Lot1983/IMG_0052.jpg

I love my jumping as you can see!:D

qhcowgirl
12-14-08, 07:58 PM
thanks horsemad. He's a sweetie

CK302
12-14-08, 10:07 PM
I absolutely love dressage! :)

& right now I am riding a 13.2 hand Nokota pony - Teddy. I am also taking lessons on an off the track Thoroughbred named Bayberry - 16 hands.

My favorite horse by far however is my 20 something 16.3 black beauty - Bennie, another OTTB. I achieved true collection with him - once!! & only once -after a night of only 3hrs of sleep. Very high strung but talented when focused. Keeping him focused definitely helps me with the ADHD.