View Full Version : helpful, no cost computer "tweak"

Rebs
02-21-08, 07:37 AM
On a PC (Mac probably has a similar function), I can increase the font size of most anything I'm looking online by pressing the "Ctrl" (control) key and the "+" (plus) key. Possibly this is common knowledge (I checked but didn't see it posted anywhere here) but it sure has been a great discovery for me!

I love that it helps me to bump up my concentration a notch, especially during those times when meds haven't kicked in, or when it's late in the day and everything's wearing off. Lengthy passages with few or no paragraph breaks? Bring it on! (I used to copy/paste them into a word doc and insert my own paragraph breaks - also helpful but took forever!)

Of course (probably obvious to everyone), pressing "ctrl" and the "-" (minus, or dash) key makes the font smaller.

Try it - you'll see ADD FORUMS in a whole new perspective!!! =)

Rebs

Lunacie
02-21-08, 11:52 AM
Tried it.

Doesn't do anything on my PC.

Rebs
02-21-08, 02:11 PM
Really?? Oh no! This featuer even works on the computers I use at work - and I'm in a school with VERY limited access to tweaks and tricks! Maybe someone with more computer knowledge can explain more... sorry it didn't work for you =(

Imnapl
02-21-08, 03:25 PM
It works on any of the Macs I use.

NonSequitur
02-21-08, 06:38 PM
I use "ctrl" and the scroll wheel to change text size.

theta
02-21-08, 07:10 PM
I use Opera web browser mainly because it can scale whole webpages(texts and images). Just select "View" then "Zoom" and pick a zoom size on the list.

Just tried it works with Opera. :)

Lunacie
02-21-08, 11:32 PM

Ah, now that did something. It changed the size of the font of the quote in your siggie line. Nothing else.

reesah
02-22-08, 03:34 AM
works on explorer and on firefox for me

NonSequitur
02-22-08, 11:46 AM
There might be a setting you have to change. Ctrl + scroll works for me in Opera but not IE.

busyhermit
02-22-08, 12:09 PM
Oh, that is too cool - I had no idea!

(Crtl + scroll with Firefox)

DABRATCAROL
03-06-08, 05:03 PM
Also if you look at the bottom right corner of your window you will see a 100% and an arrow to the right simply click on that to do the same

newfdog
03-06-08, 05:12 PM
I think some of the magnify features are in IE 7

Rebs
03-06-08, 05:52 PM
Also if you look at the bottom right corner of your window you will see a 100% and an arrow to the right simply click on that to do the same

THAT is WAY COOL! I can't wait to show some non-add folks about this one! And I can't believe I never even noticed it. Right there all the time, too!!!

Lunacie
03-07-08, 12:04 PM

Nothing like that here.

edited to add... maybe that's a feature of a later edition than mine.

Bluerose
03-07-08, 12:37 PM
Another option for making text size bigger is to open up the control panel and go into ‘Internet Options’. At the bottom right you will find ’Accessibility’, click on this and tick the box saying ‘Ignore font sizes specified on webpages’.

Bluerose
03-07-08, 12:38 PM
Sorry meant to say that's IE7

math-minded
06-13-08, 01:04 AM
Ctrl + Scrollwheel is indispensable. For Firefox (assuming you're not running Linux), there are a number of extensions that add similar productivity tweaks that I can't live without. One that rarely helps to keep me on track (at times I do the same thing with copying and pasting long passages :)) but is extremely useful while browsing allows you to resize images (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/139) through mouse actions like holding the right click button and adjust with the scrollwheel. (There are a number of ways you can customize it to work...that's just my favorite.) In the area of text, however, there are also many text size controllers for websites that allow you to zoom in and out via a toolbar, the bar at the bottom of the browser, etc. My personal favorite allows you to set a default text size for any and all websites you visit individually, by domain name, or universally (larger/smaller text on every page you visit). It really adds to your control while reading articles on sites that enjoy using font size .000000000001 pt. I'd provide the link, but can't seem to find it at the moment. If this changes, I'll post it.

ChickenGirl
11-05-10, 05:25 PM
Works on my PC, it also is affected by which browser you use, I think. In my PC you can also go into accessories and then click Accessibility and manage your options there.

Lunacie
11-05-10, 06:49 PM
I bought a bigger monitor - second hand.

lilnana
02-04-12, 12:17 AM
Wow, thanks...it works even three years later! :) I can't believe I never realized that lil button combo was out there! !!!Puedo a ver mas claaaaro, ahora!!!

TrackerJacker
02-04-12, 12:44 AM
Sorry meant to say that's IE7

Blue, you should get Chrome or Firefox. <.<