View Full Version : confused about how to start

reesah
02-21-08, 05:44 PM
I was diagnosed about a year ago. the psychologist I went to, a friend in another city, which I used to visit monthly on business, set me up with. they made an appt for me, this friend was in med school and they set everything up.

I no longer have insurance, no longer work this location, an am not in contact with the friend anymore.

I know I should seek some help and maybe medication, but I really have no idea how to do that. do I just look in the phone book and pick at random??? I did an internet search but it's all links to either the local hospital, or clinics that say "clients by referral"...and I don't have a regular or family dr... (see above re no insurance)...

there is a local free clinic but you have to wait in line at 6 am...I work second shift so if I have to do that the sleep schedule I've been struggling with will go back to rampant mayhem. I can't ever wake up before noon unless I stay up all night...which will mean a week off work to readjust to sleeping the right hours. I work 5pm til 11pm.

how do I even do this? do I have to look in the yellow pages for a regular doctor and go pay them for a visit for a referral, do I just start calling psychologists from the yellow pages at random...totally confused

if I have to call at random I may never do it... I hate the phone and I hate to call places or people on the phone... is there ways to make contact by email to get started?

I've never had any therapy or counseling or mental health stuff up until last year- and as I said, someone else handled that for me

any help...any help at all

reesah
02-22-08, 02:43 AM
I know it may sound stupid but I'm serious, I dnt even know where to start. I haven't seen a doctor in years, a dentist in decades... I've never tried to find one myself.

somebody at least give me somewhere to start? even just to say, "yeah the phone book" ?

QueensU_girl
02-28-08, 07:53 PM
Family Doctor?

If you get nowhere, you might have to seek out a Testing Psychologist for tests of memory, auditory issues, executive function, etc. All the areas ADDers are typically impaired in.

zoomman
02-28-08, 08:15 PM
Well, you've gottent through life thus far, and the last year specifially, without meds, so waiting till you can get into the clinic isn't critical.

Scattershot
02-29-08, 12:59 AM
You actually can just call a psychiatrist out of the phone book and get diagnosed without having to deal with a regular doctor at all. That's what I did the first time and again when I moved and had to get a new doc.

Some of them list their specialties right in their yellow page ad, otherwise you may have to call around and ask if they have experience with adult ADD. It's kind of a pain, but it is worth the effort to find someone who knows what they're doing.

As far as costs, both times I had to do some weird diagnostic test that cost me $250 (insurance wouldn't cover that anyway). The office visit was probably $150 the first few times. I don't have insurance now, so my doc sees me for a half hour ($75) and writes me a few months worth of prescriptions. That's another reason finding someone with ADD experience helps - he's probably used to a lot of his patients switching jobs and not having insurance. :p

zoomman
02-29-08, 01:08 AM
You actually can just call a psychiatrist out of the phone book and get diagnosed without having to deal with a regular doctor at all. That's what I did the first time and again when I moved and had to get a new doc.

Some of them list their specialties right in their yellow page ad, otherwise you may have to call around and ask if they have experience with adult ADD. It's kind of a pain, but it is worth the effort to find someone who knows what they're doing.

As far as costs, both times I had to do some weird diagnostic test that cost me $250 (insurance wouldn't cover that anyway). The office visit was probably $150 the first few times. I don't have insurance now, so my doc sees me for a half hour ($75) and writes me a few months worth of prescriptions. That's another reason finding someone with ADD experience helps - he's probably used to a lot of his patients switching jobs and not having insurance. :p

Good point. Actually, I ended up seeing a psychiatric nurse practitioner who specialized in ADHD, has ADHD, and sent me out with a prescription after the first visit.

reesah
03-17-08, 10:24 AM
I have no insurance right now, and have not had a family doctor since I was a pre-teen.I go to a cardiologist every 3 months. I was referred to her from an ER visit. I don't want to go to a ER for this referral! hahaso, really, no sh#t, I just go through the yellow pages? that seems like a really huge task...wow. for some reason I thought it would be more like...I don't know, finding a clinic or central referrer or something. there isn't any clinic nearby that I am poor enough to use...haha but I'm too poor to afford health coverage...oh the irony of thisany other advice? what should I look for? I'm worried that my pd diagnosis might be...a problem.

DeloresMelon
03-17-08, 12:54 PM
this is how I would do it:

first I'd call the cardiologist's office and ask if they can provide any names of physicians for you to call. That method produces a much smaller list than the yellow pages.

Next, or instead, I'd pull up the websites of the local hospital(s) and find out which doctors practice there. In my area, a doctor might have an office in a nearby location, however their affiliate hospital is too far for me. I'm assuming you don't want to journey to all points of your state, that's a good way to search based on geographic location.

Another option is to call your last psychologist and ask for any advice on finding a local therapist/psychologist. Licensed doctors hub bub and network like any other business. They might be able to offer a name or the name of a practice in your vicinity.

The yellow pages is an option, and frankly it's my last resort in matters like this. But, when it's my only option, it does take hours (for me), and I've been known to avoid a particular place based solely on their ad. I guess that's not really all that odd. The first impression is what it is.

You could also ask coworkers who their general practitioner is. You really should have a regular doctor anyway, and in that case you might find one able to manage your ADHD (since you have a diagnosis from a psychologist), or they could refer you.

My regular doctor (who is a nurse practitioner) prescribes my ADD meds. Some doctors won't touch it and insist you see a psychiatrist.

Hopefully you'll have access to affordable health insurance, (wait... you're in USA, nevermind.. :rolleyes:). I now just go to my insurance website to search for doctors.

Good luck.