View Full Version : Book suggestions please!

A1A5KA
02-22-08, 12:01 AM
Hi everybody,

OK, I am newly diagnosed with ADHD - Combined Type. I have read "You mean I'm not lazy, crazy, or stupid?" and "Driven to Distraction". I have "Delivered from Distraction" on order from the bookstore. Can you suggest any others? Specifically, I'm looking for books on how to deal with Adult ADHD and/or how to deal with ADHD as a college student. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

20trackedmind
02-22-08, 12:48 AM
Hi everybody,

OK, I am newly diagnosed with ADHD - Combined Type. I have read "You mean I'm not lazy, crazy, or stupid?" and "Driven to Distraction". I have "Delivered from Distraction" on order from the bookstore. Can you suggest any others? Specifically, I'm looking for books on how to deal with Adult ADHD and/or how to deal with ADHD as a college student. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Wish I could help. I went through college thinking I was lazy, crazy and stupid because I had not been diagnoised yet. I like your way of doing it better. Good Luck!

Driven to Distraction is the book I read because I suspected ADD in my son. I read the book in tears because it discribed my entire life. A turning point for me. Very good book.

bebeto
02-25-08, 12:06 AM
I have not seen that kind of book yet. Most colleges/universities have counselors and it is worth talking to them if you are comfortable. I beleive your doctor can also talk/write to your college and professors (with your permission) if you need special arrangements.

I work full-time and trying to finish up my masters. So, I understand the challenges, particularly around exam time and deadlines.

Good luck.

Ulukabulu
02-25-08, 06:31 AM
Hi everybody,

Thanks!

The authors of 'You mean I'm not lazy, stupid or crazy?' have written a follow-up book (maybe more by now, I got it quite a while ago when I first seriously considered the possibility of ADD). It's called 'The ADDed Dimension'. And their names are Peggy Ramundo and Kate Kelly.

bebeto
03-05-08, 12:04 AM
Hi everybody,

Thanks!

Hi 20trackedmind,

I was reading "Delvered from Distraction" and the authors have a chapter on ADD and College (Chapter 24) and suggest the following additional books:

ADD and the College student (Patricia Quinn)
Survival Guide for college students with ADD (Kthleen Nadeau)
Coaching College students with ADHD (Patricia Quinn, Nacy Ratey and others)

I have not read them myself and can not say if they are good or not.

Bebeto

Scattered
03-05-08, 01:48 AM
Hi everybody,

Thanks!
I'd recommend Thomas Brown's book Attention Deficit Disorder: The Unfocused Mind in Children and Adults -- it deals with adult ADHD especially as it may show up with brighter adults. He's an associate professor at Yale and helps run the ADHD clinic.

Spark is a good book to by John Ratey on how exercise effects the brain -- there is a whole chapter about ADHD as well as chapters on depression, anxiety, hormonal fluxes, aging, stress, etc. He gives good examples of folks with ADHD who got through college in large part because of their regular exercise program.

Mastering Your Adult ADHD by Perlman, etc is a good researched based cognitive-behavioral workbook on the best ways for an ADHD individual to get organized and be more productive. They have research showing a 50% improvement for the people who went through their program.

Silicone
03-07-08, 07:30 PM
Mastering Your Adult ADHD by Perlman, etc is a good researched based cognitive-behavioral workbook on the best ways for an ADHD individual to get organized and be more productive. They have research showing a 50% improvement for the people who went through their program.

I just got that through inter-library loan from my college library. Both the Therapist Guide and the Client Workbook.

Here are the links to the info on the publisher's website, although I cannot get the book excerpts to come up. I emailed and they said they were in the middle or reorganizing the website and would get it straightened out eventually. I buy too many books, that's why I used the library to order it.

Mastering Your Adult ADHD: Therapist Guide
A Cognitive-Behavioral Treatment Program
Authors: Steven A. Safren, Carol A. Perlman,
Susan Sprich, and Michael W. Otto
ISBN: 0-19-518818-7, Paperback, June 2005
http://www.us.oup.com/us/companion.websites/0195188187/?view=usa

Mastering Your Adult ADHD: Client Workbook
ISBN: 0-19-518819-5, Paperback, June 2005
http://www.us.oup.com/us/companion.websites/0195188195/?view=usa

Lindamarie
03-08-08, 04:48 PM
First post...hope it helps
Diagnosed within the past yr. (am 56 yrs. old)
I am so thankful to the person in my life who new what was going on (to a degree, of course!!!) in my head, and had the knowledge about the dis-order and the nerve if you will to speak up. Have since found many knew or at least suspected and many suspected something was UP,but did not know the ADHD life or have any knowledge about the dis-order.
Any, way before I end up with a six thousand page dialogue, I will get back to reason for message.
Back to Person #1...upon addressing her suspicions, " Has anyone ever suggested they think you may be ADHD?" HUH, the little boys disorder? That of course was what I may as well have said for all I KNEW about ADHD, (aside from living it, but not knowing)
She opened a book to a page with a large header and clear bullets, held it up and as I scanned the page and I knew at that moment I finally had an ANWSER. Took it home and could not stop (hyper-focused) reading. It was like reading my auto-biography. I cried, laughed...freaked out and started on a new voyage that has included testing, coaching, meds, etc. etc.
Oh yeah the BOOK(s) ha ha
1. Adventures IN Fast Forward by Kathleen G. Nadeau
Life, Love and Work for the ADD Adult

2. WOMEN with Attention Deficit Disorder- by Sari Solden
This is pretty much my ADD bible
great book cannot see why any men who read it will not come out of it with a boatload of info.

3. Another great book by Katleen Nadeau is ADD in the Workplace.

For myself, these books helped me to understand a great deal about myself, not to mention the knowledge I have gained as to how many people and their people...are impacted in life by this; blessing, disorder, disablity, ability???

dkpoto
03-10-09, 12:08 AM
An excellent book about living with undiagnosed ADHD is "Dear Mary" My Life with ADHD."

I also like "The gift of Adult ADHD."

redsock
03-16-09, 03:17 AM
Hi, just wanted to thank you for the links you listed at your signature line. Also, your book suggestion as well. I'm a new member and basically was cruising the forum; I came across the thread about book suggestions and I think I'm glad I did.

Anyway, thanks again.

Marspider
04-26-09, 06:01 PM
I liked this book, it's geared towards professionals but it helped make sense of a lot of things.
"Integrative Treatment for Adult ADHD" by Ari Tuckman

This one might be harder to find but I thought it was great. Many ADHD books talk about how ADHD works in your brain, useful but this book talks about how to DEAL with life stuff. I have dyspraxia as well, and that's where I learned some of my weird issues like showers ( I do take them lol but don't like them), why I had difficulties figuring out the pictures on the cooker applying to which gas ring and even swallowing pills which I just thought were quirks or my doc who claimed my difficulty swallowing pills was due to stress and prescribed tranquilizers. Spanish doctors throw tranquilizers at every condition.

Life Skills (Practical Solutions for Specific Learning Difficulties) by Jan Poustie
It's a UK book which seems to be self published but good luck finding it, I borrowed it from my uni library. It's easy on the eyes to read, and divided into short paragraph. The author has dyscalculia, dyspraxia and attention deficits.

Old School MBD
04-26-09, 11:59 PM
My counselor went to a library auction, and purchased the following book:
(that i am borrowing)

Title: "Adult ADD"
Subtitle: "a reader friendly guide to identifying, understanding, and treating adult attention deficit disorder"
BY: Thomas A Whiteman, PhD & Michele Novotni, PhD (with Randy Petersen)
ISBN: 0-89109-906-9
Year: 1995 (there may be a new edition)

Pinion Press
P.O.Box 35007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
USA

There are five parts:

Part One: Living with ADD
Part two: Getting the right Diagnosis
Part three: Recognizing the Symptoms
Part four: Exploring Treatment Options
Part Five: Overcoming ADD Difficulties

APSJ
04-27-09, 11:49 AM
In high-school I found "Keeping a Head in School" by Mel Levine very helpful. Its not aimed at adults, or solely people with ADHD, and I don't remember it well enough to say how applicable it would be to adult life, but I'd imagine some of the school strategies would apply to college. I remember thinking that Levine had an unbelievably accurate understanding of the experience of people with "learning differences"

ADDAWAY
06-23-09, 12:08 PM
In addition to Delivered from Distraction Chapter 24, an excellent read for ADDers on school (Chapter 4, pages 74-77) and college issues (Chapter 16) is:

More Attention, Less Deficit
by Ari Tuckman PsyD, MBA
2009 Paperback
Specialty Press, Inc.

Available at
http://addwarehouse.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/more-attention-less-deficit.html