View Full Version : Frustrations

movingforward
02-24-08, 09:36 PM
I feel like I've stumbled into this teaching profession and it seems like it is a profession that was easy enough to get into for me because of my lack of focus in college for which I didn't consider ADD so much but more anxiety related. However, I was diagnosed in college and the accommodations did help a bit...Anyways, I'm writing because I am guilty just feel like I'm the only teacher does not know how to do lesson plans. I didn't go to a tradition route in teaching and now being caught of my inadequate lesson plans, I have to do them over. I feel frustrated and while I'm doing them over I realized how disorganized I was in the beginning and thinking about how I may have messed up how my students were learning. I feel so bad now, but I know I can't go back. I'm also thinking of what my administrators are thinking of me and saying to themselves, I thought she knew and I thought she was organized and all. I am currently taking Strattera (60 mg) and it has been so much of a help for me to focus. However, how can I get rid of these haunting thoughts of the mistakes in teaching? I'm wondering if anyone can relate to me.
<!-- / message --><!-- controls -->

The D
02-25-08, 09:47 AM
I can relate to the haunting thoughts of being not good enough in what I do. Not a teacher or anything, but I certainly understand. Feels like I'm a fraud, etc. Not doing as well as I could be because I cannot get organized and stay focused. Believe me, I think most of us in here get it. We all go through it. Most mornings I wake up with an intense feeling of pending doom and anxiety. Just hang in there and try to do your best. Maybe letting your administrators know your situation would help? Just remember, we all go through this and some days will be better then others. I am new to meds, only about week, so I don't know when it gets better, but everyone in here tells me it does. It will for you too.

QueensU_girl
02-25-08, 03:51 PM
Read up on Executive Function (or executive DYSfunction).

This will explain your organization problems, etc

Makva
02-25-08, 09:00 PM
I can certainly relate to your guilty feelings. I'm always waiting for someone to call me out. I think my colleagues and administrators are oblivious to my faults (many of which I attribute, not blame, to my ADD). I have pretty good rapport with the kids and this sometimes overshadows the actual learning, as if people see that the kids are happy in my class, but do they really investigate if the kids are learning anything?

How do I console myself when thinking about my past failures in student learning? I remind myself that I love my students (you know what I mean) and I think they know that. If the kids don't learn much history but come out of my classroom feeling valued, that's a success. It isn't my ideal accomplishment, but it is something. How much do I remember from HS history? Specifically, not much. But I do remember the good relationship two of my teachers had with us and that inspiration led me to teaching today. They made us feel special, individually, and that made all the difference.

So, my advice to you is to find something to love (or at least like, as it can sometimes be difficult) about each of your students and make sure they know it! (This was the first thing an education professor told us in my very first ed class. I can't believe how much it has helped.)

aloha1983
03-07-08, 04:22 AM
When disciplining, be fair but firm. Don't let them walk all over you. You have to 'fake it til you make it' in this regard. It will become easier. Make sure they know that you like them as a person, but it's their behaviour you have a problem with. And that you will follow up on it. Make sure you do that.

With lesson planning find a mentor teacher and get them to have a meeting with you before the week starts so you can make any necessary changes

Chelsea17
03-11-08, 07:16 PM
I plan on studying to be a teacher when I go to college, I just don't know if it is the right thing...being that I have my own behavior issues myself. I want to reach out to others like me and help them feel wanted and like they fit in.

Chelsea17
03-11-08, 07:27 PM
:):) :) :)

zoomman
03-11-08, 08:17 PM
If you think you'll love teaching, then pursue it. Something I would urge you to think about is the rigidity of the school environment...it's not what you have to do with kids, but with the administrators. Some truly wonderful people work in public education, but there are a lot of moribund soul-sucking petty bureaucrats who are looking to boost their own self esteem at the expense of others.

Nevertheless, almost to a person, everybody I've ever spoken with says that if your kids make the desired grades on the big standardized tests, and if you get tenure, then you can do pretty much what you want.

I didn't know I had ADHD until just after my deleterious student teaching experience. I would have handled things way different had I but known. Now, even though the creatures that were supposed to be my mentor teachers hated me, the kids loved me and responded excellently, so I know that I have made the right decision, I just gotta be ready for a fight with the zombies.

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z62/Effinstuff/zombie.gif

Peace.

Jaycee
03-12-08, 12:24 AM
Teaching is the easy part. The time management skills are not so easy. Lesson plans are my downfall and I turn in something that looks very unlike the Madeline Hunter examples given to us in school, but they are very time consuming.

I enjoy teaching (hs special ed) but I don't follow my lesson plans well and my admin puts up with my foibles because, yes, my students can perform on testing and it blows his mind that I can teach students classified as mentally retarded to do the same geometry as the regular ed teachers by modifying my teaching methods.

I also wear several hats in hard to fill positions which is great job security.

NeeNee
03-14-08, 12:21 PM
Maybe you are being too hard on yourself. Most new teachers take years to develop your skills--they might have problems with classroom management, etc. If your lesson plans aren't perfect, then by all means try to improve them (online teacher forums are a godsend-so you don't have to recreate the wheel from scratch) but you shouldn't take time crying over spilled milk. Reflect on your strengths and the good things you have accomplished-perhaps you were disorganized, but maybe your brought skills like empathy, insights, or even humor into teaching. Our students learn what we have to teach them, not always what we think we should teach them!