View Full Version : Help!!! my boyfriend just said the L-word

blahblahblah
02-25-08, 06:48 PM
I am freeking out. I've been going out with this guy for 3 weeks and he said he loves me. This guy is really great but we've been going out for 3 WEEKS and i not sure what to do. i don't love him and it's way to fast and its scaring me a little. i dont know what to do and any advise would be helpful.

Ps I'm 14 and this is my first boyfriend. I have no idea what to do.

:confused:

wifeandmom
02-25-08, 08:35 PM
Pardon me barging in as a middle-aged woman. Your BF of 3 weeks said this for one of two reasons: he had a thing for you before you got together and his feeling for you go back longer than just a few weeks and to him, this feeling (which is really infatuation) FEELS like love to him because he's just so darn happyhappyhappy to be with you. OR he wants to take the relationship to a more physical level. No offense to the guys here (I have both kinds of teens in my house), but guys often profess love to get sex and girls often give sex to try to get love.

If he really does have strong feeling for you and you didn't say "I love you" back, he's probably figured out you don't. If that's the case, then just let it go and he may not bring it up again (if you didn't reciprocate, he's probably mortified now). Pretend it didn't happen.

If he's trying to get more physical, just hold the line at what YOU are comfortable with. He's your first BF, but he surely won't be your last. Don't do anything you'll regret later.

If he brings it up again, say something like, "I really like you a lot, but I don't even know what love is, so I can't say I love you back yet."

aliciaiscool00
02-25-08, 08:48 PM
when i was 14 i told every guy i loved them.. dont worry its normal

livinginchaos
02-25-08, 11:00 PM
all my boyfriends at that age also told me they loved me. I said "Thank you" and "i'm just not ready to say that yet"

wifeandmom's post rocks. she gave most excellent advice.

~boots~
02-25-08, 11:20 PM
When I was told that , and felt like you, I'd smile smittenly, and say "I know, thanks"

good luck, you have some great advice here

Daveg
02-25-08, 11:38 PM
Your BF of 3 weeks said this for one of two reasons:

he had a thing for you before you got together and his feeling for you go back longer than just a few weeks and to him, this feeling (which is really infatuation) FEELS like love to him because he's just so darn happyhappyhappy to be with you.

As a former 'teenage boy' who was once the kind of guy described above I wanted to say I completely agree with wifeandmom's advice!

If he brings it up again, say something like, "I really like you a lot, but I don't even know what love is, so I can't say I love you back yet."

It might "sting" for him to hear it but honesty is definitely the best policy!
:)