View Full Version : Lamictal making me hyper

adhdogwalker
02-26-08, 01:05 AM
I started the Lamictal starter pack on Saturday and am wondering if I'm really going to be able to take it. It's okay for now, but I'm getting really, really hyper/manicky from only 25 mg. I know that sounds bizarre, but this is not the first weird, rare, reaction I've had to a med.

On Saturday, I started feeling super jittery and anxious about 2 hrs. after taking it. This subsided but I was 90 miles an hour all day long and could not stop talking no matter what. According to my fiance, I was speaking so fast that most of it was unintelligible. I was so jacked up feeling, that I kept taking extra Seroquel throughout the day and even had a drink in the evening to try to calm down.

Sunday, I had a super crazy hyper energy burst that lasted the entire morning. I got a lot done but was feeling suicidal at the same time.

Monday. got extremely hyper & could not stop talking again. Had therapy appt. & was rambling and speed talking. Also super ADDish and on a useless tangent the whole time, but would just forget what I was talking about mid sentence and go on to somethingg totally unrelated.

Also- I noticed that I'm super ADD again and am having trouble with working memory. I start doing something and then a few minutes later, I have no idea what I was doing nor. I also keep doing 30 things at once, but I'm so scattered, I just flit from one to the other and am unable to remember what I'd done before.

so, I know you all aren't doctors and I should call my psychiatrist tomorrow to tell him what's going on. I just wanted to know if anyone else had this expoerience with Lamictal. I've been doing a lot of research but haven't found anything about this type of reaction. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Matt S.
02-26-08, 01:44 AM
In Lamictal trials, I think there were a case or two of Lamictal induced Mania so it is possible that you are just slightly 'activated'. AP's and Depakote are a couple of others that have that slight chance too.

Jibber
02-26-08, 03:47 AM
I take lamictal and didn't even see a difference until 100mg. The only times I've ever been in a severe manic state was from other meds (anti-depressants).

Don't know if this helps, but its my experience.

adhdogwalker
02-26-08, 12:22 PM
Abilify made me manic also. I call that episode "sex and shopping." It was great while it lasted, but the restlessness got so severe I couldn't bear another minute of it. I've also gotten insta-manic from zoloft and wellbutrin. (zoloft sucked, but wellbutrin was fantastic) Prednisone, even though it's not a psychotropic med does it to me also (I think this one is my favorite because of the extreme euphoria).

I feel okay so far today. I'm hoping I'll adjust. My psychiatrist did tell me that Lamictal can be activating. I seem to be super-sensitive to meds and have weird reactions. He waited since October when I began seeing him to put me on Lamictal because he wanted me to be calmed down before he started it. The Seroquel and Adderall I've been on the entire time haven't calmed me down yet, but I cycled into my wicked February depression so he decided to start it. He did tell me he was concerned that I might get manic from it since I tend to get manic from meds very easily.

Another weird thing, I had visual hallucinations twice yesterday. Very briefly and I realized right afterwards that they had indeed been hallucinations. This happened about a month ago during my rice pilaf, psychiatrist plotting against me meltdown. I had auditory hallucinations on the Abilify. I just wonder if it's me or if it's the meds.

I just feel frustrated right now because I've been on such a roller coaster for so long. I have no idea what being stable is like and I feel like I might have trouble recognizing it as I've struggled with all of this for years and it's only gotten worse.

adhdogwalker
03-03-08, 10:56 PM
So I'm still really hyper and I can't talk at a normal pace, no matter how hard I try. I thought I would have calmed down and adjusted a little bit to the Lamictal, but it's day 10 at 25 mg. and I'm still racing. I haven't been sleeping much either-- I've been intellectually busy and have been doing research on a variety of topics and am working on some ideas that I want to patent (I have 6). I'm still taking the Seroquel-- 300 mg. at night and I take 50 mg. pills during the day-- I take one if I feel myself getting really hyper, wait a while and if I don't calm down (which I haven't yet), I take more. I'm averaging at least 200 mg. of those, so 500 mg. total, and I'm all wound up.

I called my psychiatrist last week and he told me to come in this week for an appointment so he can see how I'm doing. I just feel like I'm a train wreck waiting to happen and I'm so sick of meds not working/doing weird things.

The_Colossus
03-03-08, 11:20 PM
Why wait to stop taking Lamictal? If their making you go manic their definitly not worth it and a big risk to you. The only reason to keep going on them is if you absolutly need some kind of thing to work against getting depressed.

I took Dexedrine and I got shortness of breath, dehydrated, very antsy and after 2 days decided to stop without consoluting my pdoc. 3 Important questions to consider before stopping on my own are.

1) Like I mentioned earlier do you need this medication or one of a category type?

2) When you go to your Pdoc is he going to tell you to stop? If you know he will why delay it, the end result is the same? All your doing is extending your suffering and putting yourself at risk.

3) If he told you to continue would you? If no, than stop now as the result of the meeting is irrevlant as your stopping either way. The only difference is the painful side effects you'll face until the appointment.

For me it would be a definite stop right when I noticed it started to cause mania. I am not great on self control and if I miss a couple seroquel shots to tire myself off I might pass the point of no return and my mind might decide I don't need them and spiral out of control.

Matt S.
03-04-08, 06:59 PM
Abilify made me manic also. I call that episode "sex and shopping." It was great while it lasted, but the restlessness got so severe I couldn't bear another minute of it. I've also gotten insta-manic from zoloft and wellbutrin. (zoloft sucked, but wellbutrin was fantastic) Prednisone, even though it's not a psychotropic med does it to me also (I think this one is my favorite because of the extreme euphoria).

I feel okay so far today. I'm hoping I'll adjust. My psychiatrist did tell me that Lamictal can be activating. I seem to be super-sensitive to meds and have weird reactions. He waited since October when I began seeing him to put me on Lamictal because he wanted me to be calmed down before he started it. The Seroquel and Adderall I've been on the entire time haven't calmed me down yet, but I cycled into my wicked February depression so he decided to start it. He did tell me he was concerned that I might get manic from it since I tend to get manic from meds very easily.

Another weird thing, I had visual hallucinations twice yesterday. Very briefly and I realized right afterwards that they had indeed been hallucinations. This happened about a month ago during my rice pilaf, psychiatrist plotting against me meltdown. I had auditory hallucinations on the Abilify. I just wonder if it's me or if it's the meds.

I just feel frustrated right now because I've been on such a roller coaster for so long. I have no idea what being stable is like and I feel like I might have trouble recognizing it as I've struggled with all of this for years and it's only gotten worse.

Abilify and Geodon also approved for acute manic/mixed states in bipolar disorder are a couple more that are shown to be 'activating', I have read that about Depakote somewhere too.

I hope you stop before it gets out of hand, I had been so manic at one point I had the monster combo of Lithium, Clozaril, Haldol and Ritalin, That was rotten.

umami
03-04-08, 07:42 PM
ADHDdogwalker,

If I remember correctly from a previous thread, are you not also taking a fairly high dose of Adderall (like 60 mg XR AM and 40 mg IR PM)? If you're still taking it with the lamictal and seroquel, you might consider talking to your pdoc about cutting back on the adderall until you feel more balanced... just a thought.

amiegrace
03-04-08, 09:00 PM
I got a little super-happy and went through some mixed states when I started my Lamictal about a month ago. I am not on anything else, but I know Lamictal works in the long run for me, so I toughed it out. I also experienced some suicidal thoughts and paranoia/seeing things moving out of the corner of my eye . . . limbic stuff.

Lamictal is such a great drug for a lot of people, and I notice on a lot of medications I take "it's always darkest before the dawn." For example, when I first took Wellbutrin and, at an earlier time, Prozac, it was SUPER activating at first. I was a mess for a few weeks and then POW, they took effect and worked really fast.

You say the Seroquel isn't helping, though -- but I've heard that Lamictal can alter the processing of some other medications -- do you think it might be upping the "effectiveness" of your Adderall? From personal experience, you might be speeding because of that.

Hope your psych doctor can sort it all out so you feel better SOON.

adhdogwalker
03-06-08, 12:25 AM
I'm doing a little better today than I was before, probably due to exercise more than anything else. Tuesday and Wednesday are my busiest dogwalking days. I took all the dogs on super long walks today, so that helped take the edge off a little bit.

I have been thinking about stopping the Lamictal, but my fiance went and saw my psychiatrist and he said to keep taking it and that things should level out eventually. I see him on Friday, so I'll see what he says then. I think the only reason I haven't stopped taking it is because things were so, so much worse before. I was really severely depressed and had been for a while. February is always the worst month of the year for me. I kept having disturbing thoughts about slashing my body with knives and I was tortured by images of seeing myself cut and bleeding. Fortunately, this isn't happening any more (probably due to increased Seroquel, but who knows). I guess my previous state was so awful that I figure being manic is preferable. That said, I've been a lot more functional about walking the dogs and it doesn't seem so torturous as it did before. I couldn't bear to talk to anyone before-- even though I'm speedtalking, I figure it's better than not being able to face another human being. I've been obsessing a lot over the stock market and trading stocks again-- between that and the inventions, I've been pretty darn busy. I guess I'm just so desperate for something to work that I keep trying with the Lamictal and hoping things will improve. As for the adderall, I'm even more hyper without it. I also tend to screw up everything and get really overwhelmed at the same time. On average, I walk anywhere between 15-25 dogs a day and I have to stay organized to do it (I have an ADD friendly system for insuring I don't forget, but it's still hard to stay on track) I've examined it from many different angles since I began taking it, and it really doesn't effect my cycling-- I am on the same, unwavering trajectory with or without it. When I look at the number, I feel appalled in a way that I have to take that much for it to work. I wish it didn't take so much-- not for any other reason than I feel like 100mg. is a lot and I don't want to have to take a large dose of any medication.

Hopefully my psychiatrist will be able to figure things out on Friday. I'll keep everyone posted and thanks so much for the support. It really means a lot to me.

Matt S.
03-06-08, 12:57 AM
ADHDdogwalker,

If I remember correctly from a previous thread, are you not also taking a fairly high dose of Adderall (like 60 mg XR AM and 40 mg IR PM)? If you're still taking it with the lamictal and seroquel, you might consider talking to your pdoc about cutting back on the adderall until you feel more balanced... just a thought.

I am a lot like adhdogwalker with this one too personally, I have BPI and typically a stimulant would wind up most Bipolars yet because I am the "H" type of ADHD, I need a good whopper dose of a stimulant.

adhdogwalker
03-12-08, 11:04 AM
I've been meaning to post an update to this thread, so here goes. . .

I think I've adjusted to the 25 mg. dose of Lamictal. I saw my psychiatrist on Friday and he said to keep taking the 25 mg. for another week, then increase to 1 1/2 pills (37.5 mg) this weekend. I see him next Friday, so he will decide what to do from there. I'm still taking a bunch of Seroquel to stay calm. He told me to continue with that. I had horrible restlessness yesterday, but finally took enough that it diminished a bit. However, I'm now having a problem with the Seroquel which I'll post about in a seperate thread. Needless to say, I am freaking out because I was hallucinating a bit when I first started the Lamictal-- I was taking 350 mg. then, so I can't imagine what will happen if I have to discontinue the Seroquel.