View Full Version : Start focalin tomorrow

Matt S.
02-26-08, 01:27 PM
I start the Focalin titration tomorrow, I have had about enough of Dexedrine and am beginning to suspect that it is a factor in the mood instability and psychosis.

I have been on Focalin and liked it's effect on my ADHD so I requested it because I am sick of the zombie stare at the wall effect of dexedrine and the silence is disturbing too.

Jibber
02-26-08, 02:21 PM
I'm on focalin - 10mg. The only issues I have are jaw clenching (to be expected I suppose) and I crash about 6PM. I split the capsule and take 5mg around 5 and that fixed that problemo.

Oh, and I can't drink cofee while taking focalin - whew wanna talk about a whirlwind.

P.S. This is the first ADD med I've taken so I really have no frame of reference . . . So perhaps you should ignore this as it could be construed as just babble :-)

ADDAWAY
02-26-08, 02:53 PM
I started with Strattera (a non-stimulant) and it didn't do much for me at low dosages (25, 50 or 75mg). Now I'm @ 100mg. Also, it took 3-4 weeks for it to kick in and for me to reach full dosage. I had occasional chills. I had a minor temple-headache in the beginning but it went away. No sweats. It didn't make me drowsy at all. i took it in the early a.m.

What really helped was 20 mg of Lexapro that I took with the Strattera in the a.m. It's great for the stress, anger, anxiety and depression.

Now, my pdoc suggested I try a low dose of Focalin XR on top of the Strattera b/c that should add to the treatment's efficacy on the ADHD side while minimizing side effects. I'm at 10mg but will soon be at 20mg. I may reduce the Strattera dosage gradually then, but am in a holding pattern now. I have to remember to pick up the Rxs.

Biggest thing I still notice is the typical leg shaking and intense hyperfocus. Everyone's ADD, challenges, coping mechanisms, chemistry and tolerance levels are different. So it's a bit of trial & error alchemy, but the Rxs are generally not harmful. You'll probably want to consider cognitive behavioral therapy in addition to other things (coach, diet, education, exercise, Omega-3 fish oil at 4EPA:1DHA, support group, etc.....). It's hard to put it all together in the face of stress, not knowing what "normal" is and what the "right" mix is.

Best wishes fellow traveler. :)