View Full Version : How do you organize your life?

Ethereal
02-28-08, 03:21 PM
...and which tools do you use?

I use Windows calendar (standard Windows Vista program) to organize my everyday life. There, you can have different calendars for different aspects of my life (paying bills etc), I have one for general things, one for appointments, one for tv-programs I want to watch etc. The program also have a list where you can write down your tasks (to-do list).

I don't use a special program to organize my finances, I have a simple budget in an excel document.

I also organize my eating and exercise with Fitday (the PC version, not the online version, it has more functions, like graphs and overview tables), it tracks calories eaten I've eaten every day, exercise I've done etc). This is important to me, because I have a very complicated relationship with food, and I'm trying to lose weight.

I also have shopping lists in a word document.

What about you?

Matt S.
02-28-08, 03:37 PM
i have a cell phone that I carry and it vibrates reminders and I also have these file thingys that are a different color I put bills and junk mail etc. and I am sloppy and disorganized so I always keep my school assignments and everything I need to do for school at the front of my binder, I have OCD so the house stays clean.

Guest1
02-28-08, 03:46 PM
i use my brain im always screwing dates up though and bad organization

GirlTorgo
03-08-08, 05:25 PM
Sometimes I can barely do the work it takes just to be organized. Setting up all those eltronic gizmos and making lists in word sounds like too much work and I could be doing other things. Isn't it enough to just write appointments on a calander and keep reminders on a note pad?

All these other devices just sound like ADD "bling" to me.

xav
03-08-08, 07:26 PM
All these other devices just sound like ADD "bling" to me.

Me too ... most of the time !

Basically : computer tool ( excel ) to (try to ) organize family budget and to remenber annual dates ( birthdate, car revision ...)

phone calendar to remenber daily appointements.

2 Notebooks to write anything other : 1 notebook staying at home the other being in my pocket with my phone.

Adding anything will just distract me

pjhn
03-18-08, 06:58 AM
I use my phone/PDA (smartphone). The phone (a palm Treo) is synchronized with Outlook on my computer, and the calendar function helps me remember appointments, due dates to pay bills and the like. In my case the data on the phone is synchronized through my office mail server, but home users can do it manually with the USB connection to the computer (that way you always have a backup for your data). Reminder alarms can be set at different intervals (such as 5 minutes before the due time, 1 day before, or whatever you choose), which can be useful if you are trying to remember someone’s birthday (for example, you need time to buy a present) or to call someone (you do not need preparation time). Before having the Palm phone I used to use a Palm Pilot (great thing about them is that there is a lot of free software for Palm).<o></o>
Once you have all this, do you ever wonder what you actually did all day? The “Journal” in Outlook will keep track of many things for you.<o></o>

meriellyn
03-18-08, 08:09 AM
My PDA (an older model Dell), cell phone (for alarms), paper adgenda/calendar (for jotting down appts when I'm in class and the PDA would be considered inappropriate), lists (not losing them is hard though), etc...

I really want to get a smartphone because carrying the PDA and phone is kind of a pain and those are my main organizational tools.

texasmissb
03-25-08, 11:26 AM
I have been using an organizer, I think before they even had them. A long time ago I bought notebooks and wrote the date at the top of each page. I also would write down my budget and to do lists. I quess this was my attempt to organise my mind. If they sold organizers then I never really noticed, 25 yrs ago???????? None of my friends had executive type positions so those people may have had them.

Uneek1
03-26-08, 11:03 AM
I'm constantly trying new things and buying more and more books (One Year to an Organized Life and others) and never sticking with anything! I try for two days then quit. FlyLady.com. Sidetracted Home Executives. Now I'm going to try a system I'm putting together. "Your Brain is a Kitchen" or something like that. (see my blog for details. Not totally organized yet. That was just my theory so far). How long will I stick with that one? Hopefully I'll gather a few things from each place I try and it'll all come together eventually!

Bluerose
03-26-08, 12:54 PM
"How do you organize your life?"

With a note pad and pen. Seriously. I have 'to-do lists' coming out of my ears. I make a list of everything that needs done and I mark it off as I go.

Mary
03-26-08, 03:34 PM

With a note pad and pen. Seriously. I have 'to-do lists' coming out of my ears. I make a list of everything that needs done and I mark it off as I go.

Me too, Rose!

Bluerose
03-26-08, 06:53 PM
Glad you understand. It used to drive my guy crazy but it was the only way I could deal with everything, kids, school, shopping, housekeeping, everything. I don't do it so much as I used to but then my life is a lot simpler now and that helps a lot.

Momof1
03-31-08, 09:29 PM
I am a sucker for anything that claims it will help me get organized, but I at 34 I have faced at fact...its not going to happen. I lose everything. My keys, my cell phone, you name it. I give myself credit for trying, but I just can't get it right. I'm just trying to do my best for my little girl so that she can do her best and do whats right for herself and suceed in her life. I'm just now trying to go back to school to get my college degree, finding out the I have ADD has helped me gain the focus to have the courage to actually finish. Thanks for listening.

gpfan5
04-01-08, 09:59 AM
I am a sucker for anything that claims it will help me get organized, but I at 34 I have faced at fact...its not going to happen. I lose everything. My keys, my cell phone, you name it. I give myself credit for trying, but I just can't get it right. I'm just trying to do my best for my little girl so that she can do her best and do whats right for herself and suceed in her life. I'm just now trying to go back to school to get my college degree, finding out the I have ADD has helped me gain the focus to have the courage to actually finish. Thanks for listening. 03-26-08 06:53 PM

Hi Momof1

After many years of losing keys (and it still happens from time to time) I have placed a nice decorative box on a shelf by the front door that my keys MUST go in when I get home. A friend has one of those key hangers on the wall that works for her. Then I have an outside pocket on my purse that my keys MUST go into when I am out and about. Still slip up from time to time, but this helps tremendously!

The cell phone has its little pocket in my purse, too.

The home phone has an intercom feature so we can find its location and my husband and I always joke that we need one for the t.v remotes!

Good luck with finishing up your degree and hang in there!

Jennifer (also mom of one daughter, Jordan age 7)

Mantis
04-01-08, 12:25 PM
organise and life don't go in the same sentence for me : D

Lynx777
04-01-08, 01:27 PM
I use a PDA (Palm TX) to keep track of my lists, phone numbers, and appointments. I've set up the default alarm for one hour ahead of appointments. Some times I set the alarm for even further in advance. Like for birthdays and such. That way I have time to buy cards and stuff. My PDA sync's with MS Outlook, and Google calender. This way if my PDA dies I can still get at my info. When it comes to my paper work I'm hopeless. The best I can manage is to stuff it all into my briefcase. At least it's all in one place. It might take me 20 minuets to find something though. For my bills, I use Quicken's Bill Pay service. Most of my bills are set up for automatic payment, the bills that are not reoccurring tend to be a problem. I usually manage to get them paid by the third or fourth notice.:eek:

SuzzanneX
04-01-08, 03:53 PM
I don't.
....I leave a trail behind me like "pig pen" in the peanuts comix

edgec0
04-01-08, 05:50 PM
I use my BlackBerry for everything. I store my events and notifications in there periodically. If I didn't have it, I'd be done. I don't know about you guys, but when I was in middle school I would write what I needed to do on my hands, haha.

Bluerose
04-02-08, 12:47 AM
My grandson does that. lol

yaya
06-02-08, 01:16 PM
organise and life don't go in the same sentence for me : D

that's a big issue for me too..

I tried every gadget, you name it. it works only at the beginning because the excitement for the new 'toy' gets me into hyperfocus, same thing with new jobs. then it spirals down.

I don't know if all add (without hyperactivity) sufferers live a similar pattern, but it is so ingrained that all the willpower in the world doesn't seem to make a difference.

my situation got worse since I quit cigarettes a couple of years ago and alcohol because it would make me sick and depressed. I quit coffee too. I enjoy not being dependent on cigarettes and coffee anymore!

I don't use any legal/illegal drugs at all, except a good joint with friends occasionally ;) but I'm seriously thinking to get back on medication because things keep getting more and more unmanageable.

Although the last psychiatrist (in 2006 or 2007) said there was no other way to improve anything, no behavioural bull****, just-pop-this-pill-darling-and-go that I have other things to do kind of attitude, I didn't give up. Since last time I stopped taking concerta I also worked on some behavioural therapy on my own and the activity through which I managed to increase my focus and be less overwhelmed is only meditation.

since I practice that daily (1 year now) I have achieved my first results within the first months without meds. My husband noticed it too.

anyway, right now it's not enough though, or maybe I've got too much on my plate, anyway I'll have a look on other threads for referrals of good doctors in soCal..

x Alanna x
06-02-08, 03:45 PM
what is organisation? i don't think ive ever come across that :P

well.. i am crap at organising most things..

apart from getting money off people for raves and holidays and events, because i really enjoy that..

as for organising my desk at work, cleaning or anything else.. well.. i wont even go there.. lol.

Uneek1
06-02-08, 08:15 PM
I'm constantly trying new things and buying more and more books (One Year to an Organized Life and others) and never sticking with anything! I try for two days then quit. FlyLady.com. Sidetracted Home Executives. Now I'm going to try a system I'm putting together. "Your Brain is a Kitchen" or something like that. (see my blog for details. Not totally organized yet. That was just my theory so far). How long will I stick with that one? Hopefully I'll gather a few things from each place I try and it'll all come together eventually!

I forgot about that one! LOL. I was rereading the replies and came across it. Well, those notecards that I started are still sitting on the counter in the kitchen and I haven't touched them in a long time. Guess THAT system isn't working either!

I just an online planner called ADD Planner off the Internet. I'm in self doubt right now because the "Your Brain is a Kitchen" idea and all my organizers and calendars I have at home....I feel so hopeless. I was actually loking to see if that ADD Planner was mentioned on this thread. That's when I ran across my other reply. Heard about the planner somewhere on the Forums.

hillzy
06-06-08, 09:57 AM
My work gave me a blackberry (why, I don't know, cause I barely use it for work, but hey, they're paying and I'm not complaining!) and I put my list of things to do for the day in point form on the calendar instead of making individual appointments. However, the thing only works if I actually remember to take it with me (I forgot my phone at home today for the first time in .. forever!) so, I keep a spiral notebook as backup to scribble things down when I don't have time to enter it into my blackberry.

whoami111
06-22-08, 01:37 AM
I try to organize and failed miserably each time...

Justtess
06-22-08, 01:49 AM
I've used the calendar on Outlook to manage appointments and due dates. I also have a notebook with a To-do list that gets re-prioritized every Sunday. Some things stay on my list for months :S

Uneek1
06-22-08, 01:54 AM
I try to organize and failed miserably each time...

Exactly! I understand! But I keep trying! Don't know why. LOL. "This time it will work!" and it doesn't....

Maurice
06-22-08, 02:23 AM

Very carefully. Just kidding, thanks Bluerose, exactly like she does. And I do it every night before I go to bed for the next day. Although I am going to update soon! I know a friend that has a Palm Pilot he doesn't even use. He is a millionare and he doesn't want money. He wants to "barter." Maurice

teremka
06-22-08, 12:34 PM
I used to use an agenda and wrote EVERYTHING down in it.

Now, I use iCal on my computer and my agenda for keeping track of money spending, grocery lists, tasks for the day and appointments.

I'm looking for a way to use either my iPod or something else that can sync with my iCal so I don't have to recopy everything. And something that I can ADD to while I'm out...

jpm2112
07-08-08, 11:31 AM
My phone is a crucial on the go reminder. My girlfriend really gets frustrated with me when I forget things, so I started logging important things in my phone. This Friday I'll be purchasing a 3G iPhone, so I think that will help even more!

I also type out what I need to remember on my computer. For my job, I work in the software industry, I keep all of my notes arranged in our software, NoteScribe (www.NoteScribe.net (http://www.notescribe.net) for those curious), so that helps me out quite a bit.

I've thought about adding another calender, but I don't want to overwhelm myself. I do have my Sopranos calender on the wall in the Kitchen! :)

prtsimmons
07-08-08, 12:47 PM
Things I have tried:

- Planners galore. I bet I have a planner for every year since 1992, with nothing written in it past January. I usually buy pocket-sized ones, but I can't read my handwriting when I scrunch it into such a tiny place. I bought a big one this year - too big to carry anywhere. I think it's under a pile of library books under the kitchen table.
- PDAs. I had one 15 years ago. And a couple since then... hated them all. My dad (who has a lot of the same characteristics as me) loves his Blackberry. I don't like it.
- Calendars. One at work, one in the kitchen. Doesn't help much - if I remember to write something down, I forget to look at the calendar. Actually, I don't think anything has been written on the calendar for months.
- Notebooks. I have a huge collection of semi-filled notebooks and sketchbooks. I need some kind of notebook to organize my notebooks.
- Index cards. I keep a pack of multi-coloured 3 x 5 index cards for writing lists on. Every list goes in my left rear pocket. This system works pretty well, but it is only good for short- and medium-term projects.
- Outlook Express. We use it at work. I can't imagine myself using it for anything else.

I have the same problem with every system. If I remember to write something down, I forget to check it. If it's electronic, it is probably out of batteries or turned off or I forgot it somewhere. If I remember to check it and it has batteries, I probably wrote it down somewhere else.

Lots of coffee seems to help. If there's something really important (job interview, exam) I make sure to talk about it to my girlfriend periodically so that she will remind me.

kswiss76
07-14-08, 12:58 AM
I use a Palm PDA device which works pretty well.

StellaChef
07-16-08, 04:06 PM
I feel sometimes like I clean my kitchen and an hour later, it’s upside down again! I got so frustrated that I did something very unlike me… I bought something from an infomercial… lol! It’s called a Foldtuk container (www.foldtuk.com (http://www.foldtuk.com/)). I mean it does a lot of neat stuff, but what appealed to me the most is that it collapses really thin. It saved me a lot of room in my kitchen and has really made me feel more organized in general. I hope that is a helpful suggestion to add to your question here... it really does save me a lot of time since it goes from freezer to oven... it's freed up valuable time when I get home from work.

SB_UK
07-17-08, 06:20 AM
"How do you organize your life?"By peeling back the layers and careful assessment of the 'filler' to 'quality' ratio in our lives
->
to work out that pretty much everything and certainly anything which associates woth money is empty dirty filler

so

what is important?

is the -> only <- question we need ask -

and from which the very simple answer organizes our life along natural

-> fun <- lines

- there's only fun
communal sustainable one world fun is all that matters

life ain't fun at the moment
laid at the feet of this leech -> $
all thanks to those who would worship it

-> our <- animal instincts

when we're better than that
and can all have fun which contributes to each other's fun
not detracts
(as currently)

--- leaving ---

it's fun to have fun
- but we really are going to need to learn how.
By peeling back the layers and careful assessment of the 'filler' to 'quality' ratio in our lives - - alongside incredulous peering

An example
packaging

1.Misleads and attracts people into purchase
2.Prevents close examination (kiddy toys are the perfect example -
- they're mostly awful, pathetic, expensive coloured plastic)
3.We pay to discard the packaging

-> leaving us with expensive crap which just keeps on costing us

- even when discarded

the cheap batteries in toy leak battery acid all over us and then landfill
the plastic - too inert to degrade - sits there as a testament to our wasteful ways -

its entire cycle from chemical reaction to eventual decay has only succeeded in increasing the profits of some company -
- nothing else -
- no worth whatsoever to any lil' person

kid or parent of kid (alike)

why???
aren't we angry - ? -

how fooli$h are we -
humanoid sheep

The solution (then) to organization of our lives

Take a good long look at what we do -
and refute it all -
as complete garbage which won't degrade

immersed within $-driven madness

the sheep fear to upset the status quo

because
'whatever will we do ?'

~ live ~
is what we'll do -

not

???whatever??? it is we're doing now ?

not

too sure of the word or term

- sounds a bit like the merry sound of lambs as they're taken to slaughter.

baaa baaa baaaloody f*** me -
wtf ?

{{{shortly whereafter}}}

[silence]
of
the
lambs

and_from_sages
07-17-08, 11:05 AM
I can so relate to you guys on this thread. Honestly, my husband does everything from calling me to make sure I'm up to reminding me to stay on track, to handling lots himself.