View Full Version : Do you have an eating disorder?

Ethereal
02-29-08, 02:14 PM
I was just interested in how many we are.

Matt S.
02-29-08, 02:25 PM
I have had issues with Anorexia in my teenage years (life threatening at that point) and now I still diet rather obsessively and keep my self rather slim, I do not meet criteria for anorexia but I started a diet after thanksgiving due to medication weight gain and have lost at least 45 pounds so far, I avoid the scale checking thing so I check like every 2 weeks, but I was getting pretty fat so I needed it, but it could've been done slower. I am skinnier now, I don't look fat anymore IMO, I am a guy who is 5'9" tall and I weigh 142 pounds so I guess that's skinny.

Ethereal
02-29-08, 03:07 PM
I have had issues with Anorexia in my teenage years (life threatening at that point) and now I still diet rather obsessively and keep my self rather slim, I do not meet criteria for anorexia but I started a diet after thanksgiving due to medication weight gain and have lost at least 45 pounds so far, I avoid the scale checking thing so I check like every 2 weeks, but I was getting pretty fat so I needed it, but it could've been done slower. I am skinnier now, I don't look fat anymore IMO, I am a guy who is 5'9" tall and I weigh 142 pounds so I guess that's skinny.

That's definitely skinny!

mischief23
03-04-08, 11:17 PM
I am currently recovering or working on recovering from anorexia. However my case is different because I did not stop eating due to thinking I was fat or anything. I have always been thin so trying to lose weight is not what started anorexia.

bliss22
03-15-08, 09:00 PM
I've had eating issues for about half of my life. At my lowest point (mentally), I sunk into anorexia, which lasted for several years... but now I consider it a thing of the past.

Mine was actually a mix between anorexia and orthorexia though... I've always had more of an obsession with purity and health than "thinness" just for the sake of being thin. But either way, the outcome was the same: I eliminated almost every food from my diet, developed extreme anxiety around food, created a lot of eating rituals, and ended up drastically underweight. (so people labeled me as anorexic, even though I had different goals in mind). :rolleyes:

But anyway, I'm "better" now - and I don't associate myself with eating disorders at all anymore.

I still feel a little awkward even using the word "anorexic" - even though that's how I was diagnosed.

LuckySe7en
06-18-08, 02:51 AM
I'm a guy and I used to be "anorexic" for about a year during middle school. Everytime I looked in the mirror I thought I looked fat. So for about a year I only ate one english muffin with cheese for each meal of the day.

I haven't eaten an english muffin ever since. :p

greatdanish
06-18-08, 10:14 AM
I'd like to think that I'm "over" my eating issues, however, I don't know that you really ever just get "over" them, as thoughts still randomly pop in my head that are destructive. Back to the point though. I was bulimic in jr. high, and most of high school. It really wasn't about weight loss, I think it just helped to lessen the anxiety I was feeling. After that ended I went about 2 1/2 years with no problems, no throwing up, no binging. Then when I graduated high school, I found ephedra. Oh the joys that were ephedra. I started taking it to lose weight, which I did. But kept taking it because it gave me energy (not eating more than one meal a day, if that, really drains your energy supply!) and it made me focus on my job much better (i'm pretty sure i was self medicating, even though at that point i didnt know about the adhd). After losing about 40lbs in 6-8 months, everyone in my family started to get concerned. I had friends ask if I was sick, people assume I had something like cancer and thats why i lost so much weight. I even heard my parents had me committed because of an eating disorder! (which they didn't, but you have to give it up for some creative 18 yr olds with active imaginations. I moved half way across the country at 19, stopped taking the ephedra (mostly because it was banned and super hard to find) and ended up getting really depressed. I had put almost all of the weight back on and found I was binging, but not purging, because purging made me feel too guilty. Fast forward to now, I no longer binge, purge or restrict food. However, I've found that even with diet and exercise it's super hard to lose weight. I'm sure that from all of these things I've completely messed up my metabolism. Which of course, causes more anxiety about foods. While I eat what I want, within reason of course...I still get those feelings like "people would like me better if i was thinner" or "if i could just lose some weight, i'd be a much happier person". I'm getting a lot better and shutting those up than i used to be.

So long story...well, it was long, sorry. I'm a rambler. While I don't still have the destructive behaviors of the eating disorders, I still have the destructive thoughts and views of myself. But I'm working on getting rid of those too!

hillzy
06-18-08, 10:19 AM
I struggled with my lack of eating/out right abuse of dexadrine in third year university (2006), but I managed to recover--now I'm back to being a size 10 :(

Laura89
06-22-08, 04:26 AM
I start dieting during spring of 2004. I was 5'4, and weight 120lbs. By August I weight 89lbs, and was in and out of hospitals. For unstable heart rate, and blood pressure.

I have never been the same since. My weight has gone up and down. Binging and purging, laxatives, self harm, and mental hospitals stays for self harm.

I still want to lose weigh. Maybe down to 80lbs. Meh, I am not sure how much I weight now. I think 110lbs.

QueensU_girl
06-25-08, 02:57 PM
www.cavalcadeproductions.com/eating-disorder-treatment.html

teremka
07-08-08, 09:01 PM
I have an eating disorder. I was a binge eater as a kid and young adolescent. Then, I discovered bulemia, (I could binge eat and not gain weight). So, I started purging and lost a lot of weight in little time.

Then, I was anorexic for a while because I just never felt hungry. I became obsessed for a while.

Then, I started eating again and I've been a binge eater on and off for years.

bubbles34
07-15-08, 06:46 PM
Yes I do. I am going to the doctors to talk about adhd because I KNOW I have it after reading up on it. I have been overweight since age 7, emotionally ate and ate and been heavy forever. Age 14 went on a restrictive diet, dropped 40 pounds in 2 months. By then I was a normal weight, a little thicker. From then on began my biggest problem, compulsive overeating followed by restrictive diets. My weight has gone WAY up and WAY down in short periods of time. Then I became anorexic dropping into the double digits....binged again gained 80 pounds in 4 months. Lost 50 out of the 80 pounds I gained due to healthy eating...and now I am back to binge eating and gained about 30 pounds. Yes confusing I know. This has controlled my life since I was a kid. I am a young adult now and I just now realize that this could all be stemming from adhd. I never even thought that before. I am in such a deep depression over my weight gain & I pray adhd meds will help with my compulsive eating!! That is my LAST hope! I have been on AD's and they didn't help me at all!

bubbles34
07-15-08, 06:51 PM
I'm a guy and I used to be "anorexic" for about a year during middle school. Everytime I looked in the mirror I thought I looked fat. So for about a year I only ate one english muffin with cheese for each meal of the day.

I haven't eaten an english muffin ever since. :p

Ha, yeah anorexia will do that to ya. Makes you eat the same thing over and over where you cannot look at it anymore. When I was anorexic (only lasted about 5 months because compulsive eating has been more my problem) I would eat rolaids, cough drops, and tums instead of actual food. Thats how far it got. I would eat an entire box of tums like they were candy because I was so hungry. I cannot even look at tums again or I will puke.

Laura89
07-17-08, 04:20 AM
Ha, yeah anorexia will do that to ya. Makes you eat the same thing over and over where you cannot look at it anymore. When I was anorexic (only lasted about 5 months because compulsive eating has been more my problem) I would eat rolaids, cough drops, and tums instead of actual food. Thats how far it got. I would eat an entire box of tums like they were candy because I was so hungry. I cannot even look at tums again or I will puke.

I can't help but get the feeling you're saying you were anorexia because you stop eating for 5 months. It takes allot longer to become anorexic then 5 months. Weight lost, health effects, your period stopping for 3 months.

Besides when you're anorexic you can stop not-eating suddenly because of compulsive-over eating. The mind set of an anorexic is hard to get rid of, the fear of eating doesn't make you gain allot of weight. You said that you lost and gain allot of weight? Well when you're not eating/losing weight but then suddenly start eating/gaining weight that seem more like bulimia, or ednos. Most anorexic would only start eating because their body is in a starvation state . And at one point your body takes over.

Anyways anorexia, bulimia, and ednos are all hell on earth. I get tired of people glamorizing anorexia because they don't eat.

allie123
07-17-08, 08:24 AM
No I don't have this awful problem....

bubbles34
07-18-08, 04:34 AM
I can't help but get the feeling you're saying you were anorexia because you stop eating for 5 months. It takes allot longer to become anorexic then 5 months. Weight lost, health effects, your period stopping for 3 months.

Besides when you're anorexic you can stop not-eating suddenly because of compulsive-over eating. The mind set of an anorexic is hard to get rid of, the fear of eating doesn't make you gain allot of weight. You said that you lost and gain allot of weight? Well when you're not eating/losing weight but then suddenly start eating/gaining weight that seem more like bulimia, or ednos. Most anorexic would only start eating because their body is in a starvation state . And at one point your body takes over.

Anyways anorexia, bulimia, and ednos are all hell on earth. I get tired of people glamorizing anorexia because they don't eat.

I lost around 65 pounds in 5 months, lost my period for about 4 months. I was diagnosed with anorexia. I think you're under the impression anorexics can't suddenly binge eat and they can. In fact, a lot of girls who are anorexic cannot maintain that way for very long so they develop another eating disorder such as compulsive over eating/binge eating. Anorexia is NOT about the food, nor is any eating disorder. It is a problem you are escaping through controlling food. Just as it is very possible almost likely a drug addict can become an alcoholic, a person with anorexia can turn bulimic/compulsive eater. The reason I binged was because physically I deprived myself very very badly. I ate 190 calories or less a day for 5 months, and I worked out 45 minutes a day hardcore cardio. I would obsessively count calories, when someone was talking to me all I was thinking of was what exercise I was going to do, what I was going to eat. I literally punished myself for eating 5 calories over my limit (I had gum) so I exercised 2 times a day for a week to 'make up' for it. All my life was about was counting calories, and weight. Nothing mattered to me but that, no hobbies no interest, no sex drive...food and weight was all I cared about. And oddly enough the thinner I got the worse I felt. Looking at pics of me I looked repulsive. Every bone in my body popped out and you could see my spine from top to bottom through a shirt. Trust me, it was anorexia. I have battled many eating problems, it was just that anorexia was the shortest lived.

Laura89
07-18-08, 05:48 AM
I lost around 65 pounds in 5 months, lost my period for about 4 months. I was diagnosed with anorexia. I think you're under the impression anorexics can't suddenly binge eat and they can. In fact, a lot of girls who are anorexic cannot maintain that way for very long so they develop another eating disorder such as compulsive over eating/binge eating. Anorexia is NOT about the food, nor is any eating disorder. It is a problem you are escaping through controlling food. Just as it is very possible almost likely a drug addict can become an alcoholic, a person with anorexia can turn bulimic/compulsive eater. The reason I binged was because physically I deprived myself very very badly. I ate 190 calories or less a day for 5 months, and I worked out 45 minutes a day hardcore cardio. I would obsessively count calories, when someone was talking to me all I was thinking of was what exercise I was going to do, what I was going to eat. I literally punished myself for eating 5 calories over my limit (I had gum) so I exercised 2 times a day for a week to 'make up' for it. All my life was about was counting calories, and weight. Nothing mattered to me but that, no hobbies no interest, no sex drive...food and weight was all I cared about. And oddly enough the thinner I got the worse I felt. Looking at pics of me I looked repulsive. Every bone in my body popped out and you could see my spine from top to bottom through a shirt. Trust me, it was anorexia. I have battled many eating problems, it was just that anorexia was the shortest lived.

I am not saying anorexic don't suddenly binge. Anorexia is almost likely to lead to other eating problems since a person's body can't maintain living on so little. I started out counting calories, losing 30lbs I when from 5'4 120lbs-89lbs. My heart rate and blood pressure was unstable, my possium was deadly low, and I was force into hospitalization 3 times by my doctor. My heart rate was like 54 when I was sleeping.

The obsessively thinking about food and weight lead me to cutting myself. I would start feeling unreal/panicking when I was getting food at a supermarket. My mind would count calories over and over. I couldn't control my thoughts anymore. Made me go insane.

And at one point my body couldn't handle the starvation anymore. I just started eating. Then I struggle with the binge/restrict cycle, tried purging, and even tried cutting myself just so I could gain some control over myself.

I was force into an eating disorder rehab after being in mental hospitals 7 times for self harm.

sarey
08-02-08, 07:48 PM
Just saying... this whole thing here, it's not a competition. If you've had/have a eating disorder, it's nothing to be proud of or to compete others with, doesn't matter how severe it was, it's not about the severity, it's about the fact you've got a problem, and you need help for it. Someone who is a healthy weight could have anorexia, it isn't just weight. It's mentally, too.

This is a very serious problem, an illness, one that doesn't go away easily, though can come on quite suddenly. Some do recover from anorexia, however, they may turn to other Eating Disorder's instead.

I have had quite an experience with eating issues, and I continue to, so I know quite easily what it's like. Just so y'all don't think I don't know what it's all about, to experience such Hell, but I do.

Ethereal
08-06-08, 11:35 AM
Someone who is a healthy weight could have anorexia, it isn't just weight.

Actually, that's not true. On of the diagnosis criterias for anorexia nervosa is a very low bmi. If someone doesn't fulfill that criteria, r the criteria for any other eating disorder, like bulimia, their diagnose would be ednos- eating disorder, not otherwise specified.

sarey
08-19-08, 02:37 PM
Well, it is true.
Because I know plenty of people who are in the healthy range and have been diagnosed with anorexia and get treatment for it.

It's not all about weight.
It's about the mind set too.
Anorexic behavior can do the same amount of damage to someone at a healthy weight & low weight.
It's not all about weight, people think it is, but to be diagnosed with anorexia you can be in the healthy weight zone too.

stormpje
09-13-08, 12:56 PM
I have had a eating disorder. it started when i was 9 and when i was 15/16 it was going a bit better. now it's going ok but sometimes i'm falling back at not eating etc. and I really hate my weight but it's just a part of my life not whole/ hole (i don't know how you spell it?) my life!

sarey
09-13-08, 05:43 PM
whole ^^

I'm glad you're doing okay, it's good to see recovery. :)