View Full Version : Journal-writing- a way to get better?

Ethereal
03-02-08, 09:49 PM
Have anyone here read anything by Debbie Danowski? I've read two of her books, and found them interesting and helpful, and now I've started on The Overeaters Journal (http://www.amazon.com/Overeaters-Journal-Exercises-Heart-Mind/dp/1592850804/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1204508459&sr=8-2). The book is filled with exercises, divided into short chapters like "How much of my time involves food", "What consequenses do I have for overeating" etc. I've started a blog (http://theunbearableheavynessofbeing.blogspot.com/) where I publish the exercises, including my own anwers to the questions.

I don't believe in miracles, so I don't think this will be the cure for my ed, but maybe a step on the way to getting better? Research has shown that writing has a healing effect on people with all kinds of problems.

bliss22
03-15-08, 09:26 PM
I've never read anything by that author, but I agree that journaling can help. It's an amazing way to begin the process of transformation. :)

I think that writing pretty much "saved" me.
but instead of writing about food itself, and the "consequences" of my actions, I wrote about different things...like my emotions, my resentment, my anger, my fears, my uncertainty, my ambivalence, my interests, my desire for change... and things like that.

The goal is to unravel the underlying issues that cause you to overeat (or not eat). You have to analyze every aspect of your life, and every single one of your relationships... and then eventually, after clearing out all of that negative energy, you'll reach a state of peace with your place in the world.

Writing is basically a way of purging your emotions, and paving the way for a fresh start. It can help you reprogram your entire thought process, and change your perspective on everything... so I definitely think that it's a good idea.

I don't believe in miracles, so I don't think this will be the cure for my ed, but maybe a step on the way to getting better?

^Maybe you should start believing in miracles. :p

I don't believe that miracles just happen out of nowhere, but I do believe that magical things can happen when you decide that you want something and you create a plan for achieving it.