View Full Version : Poor Working Memory (WM) can cause Learning and Attention problems....

QueensU_girl
03-03-08, 10:28 PM
This was in today's Globe & Mail newspaper (Canada).

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080303.wlwmemory03/BNStory/specialScienceandHealth/home

roly poly
03-03-08, 11:56 PM
"One little girl told me recently, 'Every time I read a sentence it erases the one that was before it,' "

This only happens to me occasionally. Usually when I NEED to understand what I'm reading. I think that working memory can fluctuate, so you have more working memory at some times and less at others.

Luthien
03-04-08, 12:01 AM
"One little girl told me recently, 'Every time I read a sentence it erases the one that was before it,' "
That happens a lot, indeed, like you say, when I need to understand something. The problem is way, way bigger though with listening than with reading.

zoomman
03-04-08, 12:07 AM

That little girl just did in one brief sentence what it took Jacques Derrida and his gaggle of deconstructionists half of a lifetime and innumberable books to do!

Retromancer
03-04-08, 02:58 AM
It's the same for me. I have learned when I receiving directions to nod thoughtfully -- then when the person who has given me directions is out of sight, to grab a map!

That happens a lot, indeed, like you say, when I need to understand something. The problem is way, way bigger though with listening than with reading.

Fuse
03-04-08, 08:29 AM
It's the same for me. I have learned when I receiving directions to nod thoughtfully -- then when the person who has given me directions is out of sight, to grab a map!

A problem when the directions are about how to operate machinery or perform some sort of task!

FrazzleDazzle
03-04-08, 09:53 PM
I have learned to go nowhere without a sticky pad and a pen, especially at work if I may be asked to do 1/2 dozen things before I return to my desk. Just like that precious little girl said so well...........

Thanks for sharing the article. The more about working memory and executive functions we know the better, as (exitedly) training programs are being developed to enhance these deficits and coming quite a ways in a very short period of time.

drew8721
04-04-08, 08:58 AM
I not only get lost in what other's are saying after a short while because of poor memory, but I often forget what I intend to say if I don't write it down or explain everything at light speed.

TygerSan
04-04-08, 11:11 AM
I'm another one with poor working memory. I like to say that I have a low RAM. Give me more info than I can handle, and my brain just crashes! I've got a fairly decent long term memory, though.

xav
04-04-08, 02:41 PM
Poor working memory or poor hearing memory ?

How is it that i can learn easily some complex computer language ( perl, java ... ) and have n't make any progress with remembering what people say to me or people's name ?

Sometimes i think that, during my very young years, some unknow parts of my mind have hypergrow ( in order to compensate the problem of ADD ) but doing so have reduce other parts of my brain , focus and memory in hearing being the first...