Tilly
03-04-08, 11:45 AM
Stephanie Stahl, CBS Medical News Reporter, recently did a segment on
Hyperactivity and Children's Diets for CBS of Philadelphia. This link will
take you her news article and video:

http://cbs3.com/health/Health.Alert.Hyperactivity.2.664437.html

QueensU_girl
03-04-08, 07:18 PM
'Hyperactivity' is not the same as ADHD.

Scattered
03-04-08, 07:26 PM
'Hyperactivity' is not the same as ADHD.
It was called hyperactivity when I was a kid or hyperkinesis of childhood (that was my diagnosis)-- they've since expanded things a bit to included the inattentive types. I expect they'll change the name again someday, since they're now finding that behavioral inhibition and executive functions may be the core problems rather than attention per say, but I expect whatever they call it hyperactivity will still be one component of that diagnostic criteria.

Thanks for sharing the link -- always interested in learning more about the connection between diet and hyperactivity. There definately is one for my youngest.

Tilly
03-04-08, 11:36 PM
You're right I should have put hyperactivity in my title not ADHD.
The article is about the Lancet studies which suggest that even kids who do not have ADHD become hyperactive after ingesting artificial colors.
I guess I have ADHD embedded into my brain.

BTW: My daughter who does not have ADHD and is very bright does become hyper after eating certain foods. For her it is a quick burst of energy a few minutes after she eats the stuff and it last only a couple minutes. I wouldn't have noticed this but I removed all artificial ingredients from our home for my son who is ADHD.
My son is about 85% better in hyperactivity, focus, learning, mood, sleeping, behavior.... from doing the feingold program which eliminates these ingredients in foods.

Scattered
03-05-08, 01:59 AM
My 5 year old daughter goes absolutely nuts if she gets too much dye. I was relieved to see that study and have my own observations validated. Not only can she get very hyperactive, but she can lose control of herself. She's usually very pleasant and we went through an episode when she had gotten into dyes before we knew the connection that she was throwing chairs to the floor, kicking her sister in the back, and sobbing uncontrollably over some very small issue. This just wasn't her. I finally put her in the shower to calm her down and she just sobbed, "I'm trying to control myself, Mommy, but I can't." It was heart rending. She also got a rash on her face from the dyes, so these days we're very careful -- she is too. She'll tell people -- I think that has dye in it and I shouldn't eat it.

Even when someone else is keeping her and I didn't see her have dyes I can recognize the behavior -- she just gets unbelievably hyper.