View Full Version : How's everyone doing?

ah09087
03-05-08, 11:12 PM
Seems like nobody's been here in a while. How is everyone?

lostranslation
03-08-08, 08:59 PM
Not any better at math or spelling... lol.

I am seeing that there may be more going on, learning disability-wise, than I thought. I'm having a hard time reading, especially at work. I love to read when it's in paragraph form, but when looking at charts, graphs, lists, or even a table of contents in a book, I'm not "seeing" it right. I'm having a hard time lining things up. Using a ruler or other straight edge helps, but sheesh, it's embarrassing, and not very practical, particularly at work, because I am expected to be able to do this sort of thing quickly, accurately, consistently, and on the fly. I know that part of it is my eyesight. I'm supposed to have been wearing glasses since grade school, but I'm getting by with drug-store reading glasses on a temporary basis, (like, um the last 10 years or so.) But it's more than just my vision; its more how I use my vision, if that makes any sense.

Years ago, I took kind of an entrance exam for adult ed, because I wanted to improve my math skills enough to go to college. I did horribly on the math part, which I expected, but according to the results, I was "functionally illiterate." I blew it off at the time, because I knew that my reading level was well above average. But now, thinking back on it, I realize why I got such a low score: The reading part of the test was not in sentences and paragraphs, but in charts, graphs, and lists, and I wasn't "seeing" it right. I did take all the math courses that they offered, including pre-algebra, and did well for the most part, but it didn't "stick".

Anyway, as far as my undiagnosed learning disability (dyscalculia, I'm sure) goes, I'm frustrated. Never did get through college, because I couldn't handle the math part. I really had no business trying to get the kind of degree I was set on, because it just wasn't possible for me to get through chemistry, which was required. My parents were only willing to help with tuition if I would go for dental hygiene, and to have any chance of getting into that program, you have to have a four point, which I did in everything except chemistry. I was hopelessly lost in the first week. I dropped out before I flunked, and pretty much gave up on getting any kind of degree.

Now I'm kind of thinking about trying it again, but in something more of a liberal arts flavor, or maybe something to do with counseling or social work, which I find way more interesting than what I do now. Of course, I have no clue how on earth we could afford for me to go back to school. We are just rich enough that my daughter can't get much in the way of financial aid, but poor enough that we drive really old cars- truck is a '95, car is a '91, and live in a cheap rental in a bad part of town that we can barely afford. We should be able to do a little better, but money management requires more MATH skills than I have. Arrrrrrgggggh. Anyway, I don't have the capacity to fill out all the forms you have to complete to get financial aid, even if I did qualify. Then there's the whole issue of finding my way around campus- I have no sense of direction, and get lost a lot. Oh, and my "working memory"? Non-existent.

Thanks for asking, by the way. Sorry I gave such a long answer.

ah09087
03-11-08, 01:24 AM
That's tough:(. I'm sorry your in such a predicament. Maybe you can find someone to help you fill out the forms:). It sounds like this is really important to you. I'd hate for you to lose this opportunity.

Bluerose
03-11-08, 09:27 AM
I wasn't feeling too good when I came here but things are picking up again. Thanks for asking. And so to you, how are you feeling?

auntchris
03-11-08, 06:47 PM
Im recovering from a bruise chest wall.

ah09087
03-11-08, 07:12 PM
I wasn't feeling too good when I came here but things are picking up again. Thanks for asking. And so to you, how are you feeling?

I'm glad everything is working out now!:D I'm doing ok. I'm dealing with alot right now but I'm making it through.

Im recovering from a bruise chest wall.

Sheesh!:eek: What happened?:(

meadd823
03-11-08, 07:19 PM
I am supposed to be working now I am farting around - I 'll call it lunch - any way I just came from chit-chat where they have a hyperlink to this web site (http://www.where-what-how-why.com/?p=111) with the rotating lady.

Interesting part of this is when I look straight at her I can see her going in either direction but when I read she quits spinning seems like she is going both directions at the same time - I wonder if it is dyslexia related or I just have a screwed up brain.

zoomman
03-11-08, 08:19 PM
I know what you mean. I'm not here now. Hee.

Bluerose
03-12-08, 12:35 AM
My day is just beginning and so far so good.
Peace and strength to you all today.

auntchris
03-12-08, 07:13 PM
I leaned over a booth, to get my school notes that fell in between the wall and the booth, I thought i broke a rib... but instead i bruise my chest wall... and oh how much pain...

Bluerose
03-15-08, 10:16 AM
I'm on an upward-spiral, I hope it lasts.
Have a great weekend everyone.