View Full Version : 504 / IEP Meetings

Imnapl
03-05-08, 11:49 PM
Student Services wants to arrange a 504 / IEP for your child at your convenience. How quickly do you get back to them?

trinity10120
03-06-08, 06:53 PM
I would get back to them that day.
I know from personal experience a 504 allowed me to graduate from high school. So, I know how important it is.

juniebjones
05-16-08, 02:04 AM
If the school contacts the parent, that means that the teachers (should) have already been using interventions over a sustained period of time (in my state it's 6 weeks or so) to help the child succeed in the courses/areas s/he is struggling with. To qualify for an IEP, the child will have to be tested and that could take a considerable amount of time depending on the school. For a 504, the process is less comprehensive bc the diagnoses are usually not as severe. Students with only ADHD usually get 504 plans. Since its the end of the school year, most exisring IEPs and 504s are up for renewal (=lots-o paperwork) my guess is that the school wants to get something underway before the school year is up so that the child doesnt have to start off the new school year in the fall without accommodations in place. Also-- since the process *can take so long, I have seen students who were recommended by their teachers in August that did not have paperwork completed until April. No Child Left Behind has made paper trails long and cumbersome.

Short answer: Get back with them asap.

Be thankful that your child (if this is your child) is in a school that takes the time to contact you. It's a heap of work for the educators, but so worth it for the kids.

Good luck :)

juniebjones
05-16-08, 03:46 AM
sorry! I didn't realize you were a teacher polling the forum! I apologize for my long-winded response that you doubtless knew about already... Of course, I noticed that the poll results show that most people who visit this forum would call back the next day. I wonder if the "kinds of parents" who wouldn't call back would be on a forum like this... I wonder if they are aware that such rich resources exist.

Imnapl
05-16-08, 09:20 AM
juniebjones, thanks for the great information about how the system works in the USA. We don't have 504s in Canada, but what you wrote about the slow testing/IEP/paperwork is just the same. By the way, I'm not a teacher, but I'm very flattered you thought so. :D