View Full Version : abilify

michele223
03-07-08, 08:38 AM
My six year old was recently diagnosed with tourettes, that we believe is related to PANDAS from an early strep infection at thirteen months. He has been having episodes for about five years. His ADHD is now getting in the way of his learning and his behaviors have gotten worse with emotions and anger. The Dr. has suggested we can start him on 1 mg of abilify and work up to 2 mg after a week. Does anyone have experience with this drug for tourettes and adhd? I have never given himdrugs only supplements and I don't see enough improvement wih them. I am worried because this drug is used for schizophrenia and bipolar and I don't think he is that. However he is moody and emotional and ADHD and has mild tics. What can I expect?

Michele

Naomi2
04-07-08, 10:25 AM
I have heard of it being used for TS. I don't know about it being used for ADHD. I don't know how effective it is.

Sorry I can't be of any more help.

Squishey
02-24-09, 12:28 AM
Most medication used for tourettes are pretty heavy, and used for other mental disorders. Dont be alarmed because it is also used to treat bipolar syndrome and Schitzophrenia. Your doctor has a job for a reason, but he may not nesicarilly know what is best for your child, perhaps he only needs medication for adhd. Often tourettes is not severe enough to be medicated, unless it is interfereing with his daily life (preventing him from getting education, causing him physical harm) you dont need medication. I would go with your better judgment.

michele223
02-24-09, 12:40 AM
After adding Concerta to the abilify last week for the ADHD my son is now making vocal noises. I stopped the Concerta on Fri. It is now Mon. PM and he was so hyper and loud. I am really concerned that the Concerta brought out a new tic. What can I do now? The psychiatrist knows about his symptoms of tics, obsessions and adhd and pandas syndrome. why would she suggest a drug if it could make him worse? All she said was we can try any of the ADHD meds. Wasn't there a better one for kids who don't already have tics? We have tried two adderall xr and now concerta and both made him much worse.
Michele

ADHDKylee
02-26-09, 10:55 PM
After adding Concerta to the abilify last week for the ADHD my son is now making vocal noises. I stopped the Concerta on Fri. It is now Mon. PM and he was so hyper and loud. I am really concerned that the Concerta brought out a new tic. What can I do now? The psychiatrist knows about his symptoms of tics, obsessions and adhd and pandas syndrome. why would she suggest a drug if it could make him worse? All she said was we can try any of the ADHD meds. Wasn't there a better one for kids who don't already have tics? We have tried two adderall xr and now concerta and both made him much worse.
Michele
Tourettes and stimulant medicine often doesn't work out.. I don't have Tourettes but I get tics from Concerta. So I switched to Strattera which is a non-stimulant ADHD medication. That one did not cause tics.

wifeof
02-27-09, 12:21 PM
Tourettes and stimulant medicine often doesn't work out.. I don't have Tourettes but I get tics from Concerta. So I switched to Strattera which is a non-stimulant ADHD medication. That one did not cause tics.
My husband has stayed away from the stimulant meds because of TS. He tried Strattera, and that sent his tics through the roof. Aspartame (Nutrasweet) will also do it.

KFC in CA
02-27-09, 12:48 PM
Are you working with a peds psychiatrist?

Have you thought about seeking out a psychiatrist who specializes in Torettes? I'm thinking more as a source of info and not so much for treatment of a kid.

Is Abilify helping?

A somewhat common side effect of Abilify is akathesia, an internal wrestlessness that is very uncomfortable and makes you *need* to move. Many/most (?) don't get it, but I did. I'd keep an eye out for signs of it in your son. Otherwise, Abilify is like an antidepressant and stabilizer and anti-anxiety med all in one. It is used for more disorders than schiz and bipolar. I wouldn't get hung up on the med class name, but I would want to know other med options, too.

michele223
02-28-09, 07:30 PM
I am seeing a child psychiatrist at the Children's hospital with my son. She seems pretty open to trying any of the ADHD meds with him despite the Touretts. She said it is trial and error. Yesterday she prescribed the Strattera 10 mg at night to be taken daily with the Abilify 5 mg twice a day. I keep asking her about his immune issues and many complex symptoms which meds would work best but she said she has used them all and it just depends on the person. So far he has been very sensitive to all new meds. He now is having a vocal tic and his tics are waxing. I don't know if this is from the Concerta or if it is just a coincidence. He seems more hyper and louder. We will begin the Strattera tonight.
As a side comment, can you believe my son's teachere thinks he can stop these noises he makes where he immitates his baby sister at home. She says he is perfect at school so she thinks he is manipulationg us at home and we need to expect and demand better behaviors from him at home. I made the mistake of telling her he was having some issues at home with temperment. I guess because he is so behaved there she doesn't believce it is a medical problem he is having but a bed parenting issue! Anyone else ever expereince such a thing when the school was not believing a medical issue exists? Because his grades are behind standards for his grade one I would think she would be more worried about why there is a discrepancy between his Ability and his performance. They don't even want to give him help at school. Maybe that is why he is so angry when he gets home! If he was bad there they would be pointing the finger at us too. They ought to be happy he is holding together there and stop blaiming us for bad parenting and except the Dr's diagnosis for ADHD and tourettes.

USMC
03-23-09, 07:39 PM
I just started taking abilify for tics about a month and a half ago, and it has worked WONDERS! I love it. I take 5 mg once a day and my tics have decreased by like 90%. It was great. I'm not getting bruises anymore (from my arm twitching and slamming into counters and walls and doors), people aren't looking at me anymore like I'm crazy, etc. I was somewhat skeptical too when I saw what other things the medication is used for, but it works for my tics, so I'm good to go. It's worth a try.

TygerSan
03-24-09, 10:23 AM
As a side comment, can you believe my son's teachere thinks he can stop these noises he makes where he immitates his baby sister at home. She says he is perfect at school so she thinks he is manipulationg us at home and we need to expect and demand better behaviors from him at home.
:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Grrr! It makes me really sad when ppl don't understand. Have you asked your son how he manages in school? It's entirely possible that he's suppressing the tics and then either hiding in the bathroom to let them out, or letting them all out when he gets to a "safe" place.

Medication is such an individual thing . . . I do like the fact that your psych is open to trying the stimulants. IIRC (but I am a researcher, not a clinician, so huge disclaimer), stimulants can unmask a tendancy for tics, and can make existing tics worse, but they do not cause tics, and often times the tics go away relatively quickly after the meds are withdrawn.

If Straterra doesn't work, you could always try guanfacine (tenex) or clonodine. Both meds work ok at quieting tics, but also work somewhat to reduce hyperactivity due to ADHD (and sometimes can help a little bit with cognition, too).

RedSkittles
03-30-09, 01:02 AM

I got ticks from conserta too! and for a while with dexadrine, but only untill i got used to it, my only problem i have to face now is weight loss (but i can't really do anything i guess, ive tryed 4 meds and they all do that, so im happy with dex :D)

elizabethbdn
04-28-09, 10:50 PM
I want to encourage you. My son who is now 12 has complex Tourette's it showed up when he was 3. He also has severe bipolar disorder. It has taken years to get his symptoms under control and the right meds. He is on 30 mg of Abilify, 200 mg of Seroquel, Clonadine for Tourette's (this is a blood pressure medication but significantly reduces tics) Lithium, Trileptal and I think that is it. He is also ADHD so am I. Since adding the Abilify his tics have incredibly reduced in frequency and are not nearly as severe. The abilify has given him a real chance with his Tourette's syndrome and has been a wonder drug. I would give it a chance. Although it sounds like my son is on a lot of meds, and he is. He has to have these meds to help him with his bipolar and Tourette's. He sees one of the best child psychiarists in the country and since she added the abilify his Tourette's has become manageable, also ask your son's doctor about clonadine, it helps reduce the tics and severity. Good luck and keep in touch. For more great information on Tourette's and abilify go to the Tourette's Syndrome Association website and click under research. It has some great articles about abilify and Tourette's.

michele223
11-04-09, 04:23 PM
I never know where to post around here since I am a parent but my son Andrew age 7 has PANDAS, Tourettes and OCD and ADHD and Aspergers. So I will try here first. I wanted to get opinions on medicines. We are now on Risperdal 2 mg a day for the anger issues. We stopped the Abilify when 15 mg a day stopped working. He is better with the tantrums. However he has a ton of anxiety and compulsions. He gets up on his toes and cracks, he picks at his bottom, he has BM soiling, worst of all he is a broken record and can't get off an idea plus he is loud and obnoxious with his need to argue. We were on Tenex 2 mg a day which was not really helping for a month. Now the psychiatrist wants us to stop it and add Klonipin .5 a day. He takes clonidine .5 mg before bed and it really helps him to relax and go to sleep. What do others here think of klonipin? We have tried most simulants and they made him worse. Strattera was the best but he got diareah which led to the bottom tic and encopresis. What would be the typical meds for these symptoms? We are really having medicine issues with him. He does not respond typically. Clonidine works well but he is too tired to go to school.
Thanks,
Michele
<!-- / message -->

CrazyLazyGal
01-15-10, 01:09 AM
I came to the boards looking for information on Abilify. After many years on the same dose of Adderall XR, I developed tics that are now occasionally impairing. Sometimes my eyes blink so much that I get a massive headache and eyeache, and then there's the social stuff. It's not so severe like I've heard of others, but it's bothersome.

I tried Strattera, and it was a disaster. I decided that having tics was still better than having uncontrolled ADHD and went back to Adderall XR. Now the tics are bothering me noticeably again.

My doctor recommended a very low dose of Abilify. He said that it sounds scary because it's used to treat bipolar and other severe mental illnesses, but that's only at a high dose. For tics, he only uses 2mg. (In contrast, the starting dose for bipolar is 15mg.)

I trust my doctor 100%. He's really good. My brain, I don't trust so much! I've finally found a great combination for my bipolar (Lamictal 300 and Celexa 20) after many years of trial and error and really don't want to mess with it.

So, can someone tell me if Abilify worked for their tics and whether it messed up the effectiveness of their other medications?

CrazyLazyGal
01-18-10, 11:36 PM
I should qualify my previous post. I had previously tried Abilify for a month, but not for tics, and I only took it sporadically. My doctor recommends trying it for tics. He just put me on roprinirole a few days ago, and it's giving me a headache. He assures me it will not mess with my current treatment because the dose is so small.

If it'll give me relief from tics and not mess with my current mood stabilizer, maybe I'll try it again, but I'm still concerned.

Justtess
01-19-10, 12:19 AM
Hi Crazylady? It might be easier to start a new post than to add to this one. :)

My DS16 tried abilify with vyvance and it as a nightmare. It took nearly 6 months to figure out it was abilify causing the negative, angry , responses. He is a teenager dealing with hormones and has an intense personality, however, abilify made him feel better in the afternoons but he would get a bit over emotional too. After a month of two, I found his anger hard to manage and thought about our safety at the house whenever he would get in a bad irritable argumentative mood.

After getting rid of the abilify and changing to tennex, we haven't experienced angry emotional episodes as he had on abilify.

Currently he is just on vyvance and I find him manging his anger much better than he had last year. Perhaps maturity has something to do with it but I would not try abilify with him again.

My son has tics but mainly when he has been concentrating for some time and he is trying to communicate verbally.