View Full Version : Could my sleep problems be related to ADD?

JoeJack101
03-12-08, 09:28 PM
I feel like my body wants to get 12 hours of sleep a day with only 12 hours wake time. Why is this? Could it be related to ADD? I feel like I am tired all the time, even when I got a full 8 hours of sleep the night before..

QueensU_girl
03-12-08, 09:31 PM
Yes.

Lots of ADDers have Sleep Apnea or PLMs (sleep movement jerks of the limbs).

Both interfere with quality sleep making us need to sleep more.

Spaceman Spiff
03-12-08, 10:49 PM
I can sleep for 14 hours and not feel rested. I have had sleep problems for most if not all my life. I really think there is a strong correlation between mental disorders and sleeping disorders.

kwalk
03-12-08, 11:11 PM
have the same problem.... in the summer time I always felt alert when I was awake because I got so much sleep!

Scattered
03-13-08, 01:04 AM
Lots of ADDers do have sleep issues. I'm wondering though if you might have some depression going on as well. Folks with ADD are 3x more likely to suffer depression or anxiety (both of which affect quantify and quality of sleep). You don't necessarily have to feel real down to have some physical depression going on. For years I had seasonal depression where my energy just dropped through the floor in the winter and I was tired all the time. You might want to have that checked out, because both depression and anxiety make ADD symptoms much worse.

Things you can do on your own include getting more sunshine, Omega III fatty acids (lots of research backing up their helpfulness in combating depression as well as helping ADD) and get lots of aerobic exercise. Dr. Ratey(Harvard professor/psychiatrist with ADD) has a book called Spark where he describes studies and case histories of how exercise can be more effective than medication for treating depression and very helpful (though not necessarily more effective than meds) in improving ADD symptoms.

Brakna
03-13-08, 05:21 PM
I have sleep issues like JoeJack101. I always feel that 8 hours of sleep is not enough and need much more. Even with meds I still feel this way. This seems to be less of an issue during the warmer summer months and so it could be related to SAD.

NeeNee
03-14-08, 11:28 AM
Meds can make it hard to sleep. Also need for lots of sleep can be depression--ADHD + Depression is very common. You didn't mention your age but teenagers also need extra sleep-like 10-11 hours.

QueensU_girl
03-17-08, 10:49 AM
You should be telling your Doctor about this need to sleep so much.

Sleeping 12 hrs a day and 'not feeling rested' [incl inattentiveness] may warrant a Referral to a Sleep Lab....