View Full Version : pumpernickel (hard)

Ian
02-29-04, 05:28 PM
I'm having some trouble hunting down a recipe for the hard tack some Germans call pumpernickel.

It's a rectangular block of hydrated rye grain I think. It's dark with molasses and looks to be steamed rather than baked.

Has anyone made this stuff? If anyone has a good bread recipe site I'd appreciate a link if you have one.

I've been using http://allrecipes.com/ just now and it seems quite good. Recommendations on email lists, news groups and forums for cooking are welcome. :)

I fudged a bread recipe today with a whole bunch of grain in it. It was more like baked porridge than bread. I was scared to put too much flour into the mix and toughen it all up beyond eatability. Consequently it fell half way through the back. The taste and texture are great though. I'm looking for a dense breakfast bread for the toaster.

With a little patience I'll get it hammered out and post the play book. ;)

Cheers! Ian.

citruscat2002
02-29-04, 08:31 PM
http://www.bread.allrecipes.com/az/Essene

Does this look anything like what you are referring to? I have made this with wheat berries, and it's worth it! Very dense, sweet with sprouted grain. Salt inhibits it, though. It would be interesting to see how it would work with organic rye grains.

Ian
02-29-04, 09:17 PM
I've made this Essene too. I'm beginning to wonder if what I have had isn't just what you have suggested. A sprouted rye Essene bread might be just the ticket. I think I can just wing the flavour adjuncts..
Thanks a bunch citruscat2002

Todays efforts had a whole grapefruit worth of shaved rind in it.. oh my.. :D

I started a potato sourdough starter today trying to snag a flavourful wild yeast.. Some days the distractions are so so so much fun.. lol

.... am I feeling better these days or what! ;)

Ian
02-29-04, 09:46 PM
I'll start here with this.. it looks really close.

http://www.woolworths.com.au/Recipes/disprecipe.asp?recipeid=9

RECIPE INGREDIENTS
Ingredient Recipe Quantity
Oil (Vegetable) 1 tablespoon
Salt 1 teaspoon
Water 3 cup
Flour (wholemeal plain) 1 cup Plus some extra
Bran (Unprocessed) 0.5 cup
Kibbled Rye 1 cup or cracked rye
Kibbled Wheat 1 cup or cracked wheat
Flour (Rye) 2 cup
Caraway Seeds 1 tablespoon
Molasses 2 tablespoon or honey

RECIPE STEPS

1. Mix all ingredients, cover and leave to stand overnight.
2. Next day, add enough flour to make dough dry enough to handle. Spoon dough into a well-greased, heavy-duty bread tin.
3. Cover with foil and bake at 120 C for 3 hours. Remove foil and continue baking for a further 20-30 minutes or until dry and slightly shrunken from sides.
4. Cool thoroughly and keep for a day before serving in thin slices. Wrap unused pumpernickel in foil and store in refrigerator.

MRB
05-21-04, 08:26 PM
Ian,

not to go all ADD non-cooking girl on you, but can't we just BUY pumpernickel now?

Ian
05-27-04, 01:53 PM
MRB.
We can buy pumpernickel. We can buy many things. Few thing stemming from a profit motive are as tasty as those that come from a love of food though.

I'm blessed and cursed with a palette that can tell the difference. I also love to eat and cook. I'm also quite curious. Overall food is a good time for me. < g > We do a lot of scratch cooking. I make pasta too but not very often even though it's very popular with the family.

Today I made a couple of loaves of sourdough again. I forgot to save some starter for next time though. It's an ongoing struggle not to beat myself up for the mountain of forgetfulness.

I have to be grateful that I'm even cooking again. There was a half dozen years there where I took pleasure in very little.

I'm still waiting to get the whole rye grain to make the stuff anyway. I've found a source but walked right by it this past Tuesday when I was in the city.

PU and I had gone in to see "Super Size Me" which was excellent. A documentary (American) about a film maker living for a month on only McDonald's menu. It was scary. He was very fit going into the trial and it's a good thing. It is sobering to think about the things people decide are good to put in your mouth.

It's frightening to think what all is deemed legal to add to commercial food and still call it food. I'm not much into politics though. I just go by taste and it all seems to line up nicely. I eat coke and donuts and ripple chips and dip.. I sin oh yes I sin.

I'm down two more pounds this past couple of weeks though. This is a good thing. As I get fit I'm eating like a horse and enjoying eating more and more.

PU and I both love to feed people. The kids will be all ramped up when they see the fresh sourdough and I'll smile knowing they can taste the difference.

We are quite flooded here and it's cool. The leaves on the oak aren't out yet. In fact they are barely flowering. The bonus is the sorrel. It's just a weed to most but it's been growing here full of water it's rarely got enough water to make it very attractive for using for anything but flavour.

Last night I picked a bunch of it out of the flooded horse pasture and made a topping for eggs. It disappeared and got rave reviews even from the fussy ten year old. The ultimate taster!

If food doesn't move you the loaf may as well be bought, but I'm a food lover so I'm sunk.

Cheers! Ian.

RhapsodyInBlue
10-21-04, 02:47 PM
I have to get Andrei to bake this one......I love this bread! Thank you Ian;)

Ian
10-21-04, 02:54 PM
I made a couple of nice round loaves this week. The first was all white wheat flour, five cloves of garlic and a large onion browned. A single loaf for me starts with a cup and a half of water.

The second one had some whole wheat flour, sharp grated cheddar, and half a lemon worth of rind finely grated. I baked them both on a round baking stone. Both didn't last worth a hoot after the kids got home.. < g >
ian

RhapsodyInBlue
10-22-04, 11:28 AM
My mouth is watering:D I just love bread!!! Why bread? Why not chocolate? I am giving Andrei all of your hints, Ian;) Thank you!

Ian
10-22-04, 12:22 PM
Those hints were for you my dear! hehe now off to the kitchen with you.. :D
ian

RhapsodyInBlue
10-22-04, 12:44 PM
I'm the "cake" cook:D He's the "bread" cook:D

Ian
10-22-04, 04:19 PM
mmmmmmm cakes, mmmmm lemon.. mmmmmmmm post images... send scent files.. express post for taste testing... mmmmm