View Full Version : Restless Leg Syndrome

texasmissb
03-13-08, 05:45 PM
I am new to this board and don't understand how to do a poll and this maybe is already done but I couldn't find it. I am wondering if most people with add/adhd also have RLS. I have read many post about people being very sensitive to clothing, jewlery etc. I'm on propranolol for anxiety which has also taken care of most of my rls symptoms too. I am sensitive to noise (have to sleep with fan blowing in my face), people crowding in on me...first time I noticed this I was 13 yrs old and standing in line at the circus to get tickets, too many people crowded in and I got dizzy and fainted. I still get that feeling but have learned to tune it out. The feeling I get with RLS is almost the same as some clothing is. Its like my legs and especially feet dont belong to me and are "bugging" me. LOL God I sound like a whacko but thats how it feels. I am not diagnosed by a prof. yet but am positive that I have ADD. If I over focus on any part of my body it becomes uncomfortable and feels weird. The best way to describe this is when you do relaxation techniques and focus on singling out and relaxing different parts of your body. When I do this and focus on feet and legs I can start a episode of RLS. It is very hard for me to do this. Anyone else feel this way?

Mary
03-13-08, 06:18 PM
hi, I have to sleep with a fan. Because outside noises or house noises... all sound like they are coming through a megaphone. I have RLS and I hate the feel of the seams in the socks..or my jeans. I have to strip off the minute I walk in the door and wear a night gown...my legs actually itch if I don't get the pants off right away.

I hate being in the middle of a crowd and get anxiety if I feel as if the crowd is closing in on me. Anxiety meaning, extreme shortness of breath, breaking into a heavy sweat and hives sometimes as well.

However, I've never had anyone suggest that I am ADD. I do however have other ailments, including Fibromyalgia.

If I haven't already, welcome to the ADDForums!!

texasmissb
03-13-08, 07:02 PM
Thanks for the welcome Mary. I think Rls may also be caused from different meds. I know when my back went out and I was taking pain pills they seemed to cause a lot of RLS. I also can relate to stripping when getting home, my BF accuses me of being an old hippy. I too have a big issue if I put on shoes or especially boots than feel they are too tight. I go nuts trying to get them off its a very claustrophobic feeling.
Brenda

Fuse
03-13-08, 08:50 PM
I was under the impression that RLS was almost like a burning sensation in your legs; it's not just normal foot tapping of constant fidgeting due to ADHD.

Anyway, I am pretty sensitive to stimuli. I often need to sleep with the fan on. Sometimes things irritate me so much that I just can't stop focusing on them and what should be minor and easy to ignore/block out, grows massive and won't leave my train of thought. Extremely frustrating.

ADDAWAY
03-13-08, 08:52 PM
Constantly shaking RLs, and firing of nerves in the soles and calves.

Welcome, BTW and do searches on ADDF (this site) for all your symptoms. Lots of good threads here ... just be careful not to get all snagged up if you unfurl one! :cool:

Annabanana
03-13-08, 09:28 PM
I've never been diagnosed with RLS. I am a big leg & foot wiggler. A good majority of my family seems to have the same problem. We're always whacking eachother under the table by accident. Don't even know I'm doing it half the time till I look down. If I'm speaking with someone I'm not familiar with I will try to keep the legs still but I find I can't think straight without some kind of movement. It can be really annoying! :mad:

ADDAWAY
03-13-08, 09:33 PM
You just did it again to me ... this time above you ... how'd you manage to wiggle like that?

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:zJpeDjSK5ydAOM:http://www.cartoonstock.com/lowres/ptr0080l.jpg (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.cartoonstock.com/lowres/ptr0080l.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.cartoonstock.com/directory/y/yoga_positions_gifts.asp&h=400&w=321&sz=27&hl=en&start=45&tbnid=zJpeDjSK5ydAOM:&tbnh=124&tbnw=100&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dleg%2Bover%2Bhead%2Byoga%26start%3D40 %26gbv%3D2%26ndsp%3D20%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN)

texasmissb
03-13-08, 09:42 PM
Thanks addaway! Fuse, I haven't ever had burning sensation. it more like just being hyper aware of any sensation in mostly my feet that is only relieved by moving them. My mother has the same thing and she called it......get this the heebiejeebies! Too funny. Also this may be that I have ADD and and thats just part of it that I dont recognize. I very seldom suffer from this now but when it happens its a real pain.

auntchris
03-13-08, 09:43 PM
I get RLS at time too. I take aleve and it works. but that is for me, everyone else is different.

Annabanana
03-13-08, 09:49 PM
Great yoga cartoon ADDAWAY. It seems like part of my brain resides in my feet sometimes. I guess better feet than A@#!

You can always tell when it's successful dinner party at our house by the number of leg bruises everyone goes home with!

ADDAWAY
03-13-08, 09:52 PM
Thank goodness it ain't an A@# bruisin'!

QueensU_girl
03-13-08, 10:47 PM
I think it is important to mention that there is RLS and then there are PLMs. There can be overlap, but they are not EXACTLY the same.

(According to my sleep doctor.)

I go to this website:

www.rls.org

Annabanana
03-14-08, 12:04 PM
Tu' Shae' ADDAWAY!

Thanks for the RLS site info, QueensU!

Stjmz
03-14-08, 12:47 PM
Wow! I can totally relate to this one. Toward the end of my marriage my wife couldnt sleep in the same bed with me anymore. My RLS is basically involuntary and constant...all day, all night. I don't even fight it anymore because it's a losing battle. I can acknowledge it and stop but within two seconds it's back on. My neurologist seems to think it actually could be keeping me up at night and that is why i'm having such severe inattention during the day. He says he suspects A.D.D. but has to rule this out first. Was put on Cymbalta but have had dreadful side effects. Going back to see him Thursday and hopefully we can then start dealing with the A.D.D.

texasmissb
03-14-08, 01:07 PM
Stjmz, I feel for you. When I had the RLS syptoms going on every night it was horrible. I want to get off the propralonol but it works great for my anxiety and also RLS. I dont know if they give it for RLS but I very seldom have it now in comparison. I see your from New Orleans if you had to go through the Katrina evacuation (my parents had to, they live on the Texas coast) this drug has been also great for the PTSD symptoms I have. My symptoms are not from Katrina stuff but I can't imagine anyone who went through it not having some PTSD.

ADDAWAY
03-14-08, 01:15 PM
QueensU Girl:

Pardon my ignorance, but what are PLMs? :confused:

Chrisles
03-14-08, 03:22 PM
QueensU Girl:

Pardon my ignorance, but what are PLMs? :confused:

Periodic Limb Movement ,,,, some think it's a precursor to Parinson's Disease.

Just throwing this out there (I'm not that up to date on how ADHD and chemicals in the brain work). ADHD and RLS have one common chemical and that's dopamine. People have said that ADHD and RLS are caused by dopamine deficiency.

This is not to say that RLS is only caused by lack of dopamine. There are other causes of it. Medication (stimulants) can cause it also.

My RLS gets the best of me though. At night and in the mourning I have a tendency to hyperfocus. So when I am going through a bout of RLS it seems really bad. I'm on some anti-anxiety medication (Benzodiazepine) for sleeping now. It seems to help I just wish that I didn't have to take it everday.

Addafrica
03-14-08, 03:32 PM
I have RLS my doctor has put me on Pexola which works wonders! I am ADD but I am not on any meds for it at the moment. I know that RLS has a lot to do with magnesium, content I was really ill at a stage and when my magnesium levels where at the lowest my RLS was at its worse.

javs1979
05-08-08, 09:46 AM
Hi all,

I want to share my little story with you.

I've been on meds for a couple of weeks now, using PMS-Methylphenidate, 10 mg twice a day.

I have to say it works wonders. In the morning, the first dose is helpful to get up and running at work. Same thing for second dose. During afternoon, I can get through a lot of work without daydreaming or wanting to take a nap. However, it doesn't last very long. 3 hours is not enough so I'll ask the psychiatrist for sustained release tablets. He also suggested to increase the dose if needed.

But my main concern is now RLS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restless_legs_syndrome) (or something that looks like it, maybe PLMs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nocturnal_myoclonus)).

At the moment the meds stop its action, I start yawning like I used to do before the meds. And by yawning, I mean several hard-to-retain yawns per minute, several times a day.

Here's how it goes :

While not on meds, I yawn while I drive a car, when I sit relax in the living room or when I just don't do anything physically straining. Before going to bed, I yawn less but I start scratching my legs because it itches like hell. Finally, I wake up during night, looking at the time on the alarm clock and I move a lot during sleep. My girlfriend reminds me about that last one, day after day... and she's using sleep pills :eek:

When comes the time to wake up and start the day, I sometimes feel like I ran a marathon, sometimes my legs just feel very rigid. Not painful but distracting. I also feel more tired in the morning than before sleep.

I though maybe it's just me and I do nothing to help but :

- I don't smoke anything anymore (stopped cigarette 14 months ago, cannabis 18 months ago)

- I don't use any artificial stimulants anymore like coffee, energy drinks, candies, chocolate and so on

- I drink alcohol about once a week, mostly red wine, Boris vodka-based drinks or Bacardi breezers. No beer at all.

- I take good-quality vitamin, mineral supplements and omega fatty acids each day and I eat well (no junk food, no fast food, lots of vegetables and fruits, sushis every week... hmmmm... sushis :) etc..)

- Every week day, I walk about 15 minutes, twice a day, for work.

- Finally my sleep routine is very constant ; about 8 hours of sleep (heh, what a joke), between 10:30pm and 7:00am, even during weekends.

I don't have sleep apnea with solid proof from the hospital's polysomnography (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polysomnography). I also doubt a specific respiratory issue is involved. No asthma, only mild allergies.

Only other thing I see is RLS, PLMs or a brain stem look-alike. On second though, my previous roommate told me once I used to grind my teeth while sleeping. Wikipedia told me this problem is called Bruxism (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruxism).

As a course of action, I tried an anxiolytic (apo-oxazepam without medical prescription, shame on me :() on a low dose for two to three days. Seemed like a good sleep aid but I felt like frozen in stone in the morning so I stopped taking it.

So, what should I ask for ? Levodopa (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levodopa) ? Mirapex (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirapex) (Pramipexole) ? Requip (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Requip) (Ropinirole) ? Anything else ?

I'm afraid Methylphenidate will collide with tiredness big time if I don't do anything.

Anyone has hints ? Please ?

Phew, what a text ! ;)

Thanks !

MissAdhd
05-08-08, 06:39 PM
A sleep study can discover if u have RLS.

I sleep with a fan too.. i like a constant noise rather than various ones

QueensU_girl
05-08-08, 06:54 PM
Some people don't know that they have RLS [or PLM leg jerks during sleep].

I didn't know I had it until my Sleep Study results came back!

My main symptoms were bad "growing pains" in my calves in childhood, which would come back in adulthood when my Serum Iron levels would get low.

javs1979
05-10-08, 10:31 PM
Hi,

Actually, a polysomnography is a sleep study. I've been at the hospital for that purpose two years ago, to know if I had sleep apnea.

The pulmonologist was categoric ; no sleep apnea at all. He talked about EEG results but he never mentioned anything about PLMs or RLS. Heck, I didn't know a thing about these two problems at that time !

I stand in line to meet a neurologist (the guy I should've met in the first place), expecting to see him before the end of the year (funny thing is... I'm not kidding ; it's been eight months I took my rendez-vous). He'll know about PLMs, RLS and whatever looks like it.

Wait & see, as always.. :(

adhdogwalker
05-14-08, 10:23 AM
I have had RLS ever since I can remember and my mother recounts to me how eternally restless I was even as a baby. For me, the sensation of restlessness is akin to a cauldron bubbling beneath my skin. It is not in and of itself painful, but the attempt to endure it and not move eventually becomes painful in a different sort of way. For me, the imperative to sit still is so agonizing that I am a dogwalker and walk for at least 8 hours a day. The severity of my restlessness varies from day to day, but I notice if I don't get enough exercise on the weekend, I am miserable on Monday. Sometimes even walking doesn't get rid of it-- then I deliberately climb a bunch of stairs which helps a lot.

I am on five medications right now, because of ADHD and bipolar: Depakote, Lamictal, Seroquel, Xanax and Adderall. I am still manic and restless! I have noticed that my RLS is far, far worse when I am in an extreme mood state. I speedwalked for 10 hrs. straight the other day and I was so restless that I could not sit still to eat dinner even though I hadn't eaten all day! It was at that point that I gave up and took some Xanax. The medications that help with it are Seroquel-- at a higher dose than I can take right now because it caused hyperprolactinemia. Xanax- but I hate it and only take it out of sheer desperation because it gives me "pockets of amnesia." Adderall- diminishes it sometimes unless the fury of it is so great that nothing can reign me in. Now that I'm more aware of when the RLS flares up, I'm not sure (for me) that it is a seperate disorder. I really think that it is a feature of my bipolar as psychomotor agitation can be a symptom of mania, depression, and mixed episodes. I don't think this is true for everyone as there is a tremendous variation between individuals with the same psychiatric/neurological diagnoses.

An individual disorder or a feature of another? I can't determine; what I do know is that it sucks regardless!!

Mary
05-14-08, 10:33 AM
I actually found an OTC remedy for RLS...and it also helps with lower back pain. I slept really good the other night.

busyhermit
05-14-08, 10:44 AM
I had RLS just for a while - about 12 years ago. It's maddening - I always described the feeling as if my bones are itching and crawling on the inside of my legs. An itch with no way to scratch it. I'd tense my muscles and stretch them and move my legs around, trying to relieve this unreachable itch. Thought it would drive me nuts. It came and went after a year or so and I never did figure out for sure what caused it. I was smoking at the time, taking birth control pills, and possibly Effexor. I quit the Effexor and smoking around the same time and I haven't had the RLS since! So I have to think that it was related somehow.

I am still a tremendous leg-jiggler, but that's an entirely different thing. It's only nervous movement - there's none of that maddening creepy crawly itch.

KurtG85
05-18-08, 02:44 AM
I had this all the time. Adderall pretty much zaps it completely though.

To adhd dogwalker: are you sure adderall doesn't make it worse for you? It seems kind of freakish that it makes my symptoms disappear. I would think it would make it worse for most people but I could be wrong.

ADDAWAY
05-18-08, 02:47 AM
I think I had it ... particularly at night, the creepy crawlies in my calves ... somehow, with one or more of the endless alchemy of meds, I kicked the habit.

I still get "jiggly with em" too!

i4got
06-13-08, 09:08 AM
I am questioning my RLS dx. I think I'm having a hard time with the words "urge to move". For me, that means that something uncomfortable is causing me to want to move to make myself more comfortable. The jerks I have are far from an "urge". They are spontaneous, uncontrollable, and violent; in my legs, arms and neck. :confused: I do have the tingly, creeping feeling in my lower back and legs. Someone explained it very well as that buried itch you can not scratch. But I also have pain, stiffness, and a hard time walking sometimes. I sometimes get dizzy and off balance. I have been running in circles trying to figure out what the problem is. I had the brain MRI about a month ago and it did come back with "chronic white matter changes" and I completely don't know what it means. I'm paranoid that it could be a sign of MS, but I don't know how to talk to my doctor about that.... I fear talking to a doctor about a very serious condition because I feel like they may think I'm a hypochondriac. But I can not fake these symptoms if I tried, nor can I fake an MRI. My Iron "IS" consistantly low, about half the normal level. But even with Iron supplemants, I still have the violent myoclonus..

what to do?