View Full Version : Uncomfortably Numb -- Antidepressent experience

hollyduck
03-13-08, 11:32 PM
Uncomfortably numb
PATRICIA PEARSON
From Thursday's Globe and Mail
March 13, 2008 at 9:28 AM EDT

Book excerpt on the authors experience with antidepressents. At first the antidepressent provided blessed relief, then worrisome numbness. Then, when she added Wellbutrin to Effexor, there were some surprises at the neighbourhood Christmas party.

http://tinyurl.com/38ojo9

Mincan
03-14-08, 12:07 AM
Yep, I'm slowly getting off my Zoloft, F it. Placebo the lot. Dexedrine working ****ty now... etc etc. Feeling calm all hte time but no life. I'd rather have OCD than this crap.

Scattered
03-14-08, 12:28 AM
Awesome article! Thanks for sharing it. It also very much matches my experience on Prozac. The first little bit was bliss. I actually felt RELAXED! For someone strung as tightly as I am that was a great pleasure -- for a while. Then I stopped caring much about anything at all. I had the thought that if my children (who I love more than life itself) should die, I would think that was very sad, but wouldn't feel much at all. Then came the facial movements (which unfortunately haven't completely left me to this day -- any little stress or caffeine and my mouth starts involuntarily moving probably making me look like a moron -- thought everyone around me, except my husband, is too polite to say so (he says it kindly -- no name calling). Then came the psuedohallucinations (that's when you're hallucinating, but you still know it's not real) -- just fun, fun, fun!:rolleyes:

Asylum
03-14-08, 05:22 AM
Wow. What an article. I don't take anti-depressants because they never worked for me during the years i was on them and i had unpleasant side effects. But without those reasons i still don't like them because of worrying stories and articles such as these. Problem is, most of the medical population just adores them. They shut us up, calm us down so we don't lose our jobs and become a strain on the system or bother our doctors with our depressing outlook. And if a few of us go off our heads because of them, hey, we'll just chalk that up to the terrible problem of mental illness. They are pushed on me all the time, and when i refuse i'm offered no alternative and probably seen as difficult and uneducated.

(Quoting)"The idea that people need antidepressants because they have a “chemical imbalance” in their brains has evolved into a sort of urban legend. People are depressed or anxious – so one person advises another, be they physician or sister-in-law, for levels of expertise don't seem to enter into who spreads the word – because their brain chemistry is out of whack. Sufferers have a “serotonin deficiency” that can be corrected by selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) or, in the case of Effexor, serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs). … "

I thought this was just fact. EVERYONE says it!!!! Doctors say it, people with depression say it, including me, lay people (who believe in depression) say it. I didn't even know it was being questioned!

Thanks so much for this article Hollyduck, its very interesting.:)

(She's a fantastic writer as well!)

Mincan
03-14-08, 10:30 AM
There's no such thing as a chemical imbalance. However, there can be a chemical DYSFUNCTION, very different.

ADHD for instance, people still say it's a chemical imbalance, but if you were born that way, it's not an imbalance, it's just your natural brain chemistry. I would then call that a dysfuntion.