View Full Version : I need an opinion?

Kevin16
03-15-08, 11:23 AM
At school I have a still have a low GPA(2.3) which resulted a complete academic collapse freshman year of high school. In addition it most likely won't be over 3.0 by the end of high school.

So what should I do.

Imnapl
03-15-08, 12:02 PM
Kevin, have you had an assessment for ADHD/ADD and learning disabilities? Are you taking a medication that works for you? Have you tried working with a tutor? Have you spoken to a school counselor or academic advisor?

Kevin16
03-15-08, 01:27 PM
Kevin, have you had an assessment for ADHD/ADD and learning disabilities? Are you taking a medication that works for you? Have you tried working with a tutor? Have you spoken to a school counselor or academic advisor?

Yes I have and they don't seem to worried about it and contunie to say there is a college for everyone.

zoomman
03-15-08, 01:58 PM
These people, whoever "they" are, are telling you the truth, but they are also disrespecting you by being so glib and dismissive.

Yes, it's true, there are colleges that you can get into with a 2.3+ gpa. My Alma Mater took anyone with a 2.0 or better. Where are these colleges? What are the names of these colleges and how much will it cost to go to them? What are the reputations and programs these colleges offer and what is the lowest gpa you can have and still get in? My college, for instance, has no philosophy department, so if that had been my chosen area of interest, the fact that I only needed a 2.0 gpa wouldn't have been of any use to me.

Don't wait passively for answers. Be respectful, but firm and do as I'm sure your teachers are always telling you to do --- make them SUPPORT their glib answer with some data! If they act so comfortable dismissing your concerns, then it seems to me that they better be in possession of some real information. It is your life they are talking about! Don't accept half answers.

Now, the tone of their answer is just glib. First, the information they have given you. On the one hand, they (teachers/councilors/"the man") are pretty much correct, though I don't know how much you'll have to pay. Their answer strikes me as a bit insensitive and not a little unhelpful.

Kevin16
03-15-08, 02:16 PM
These people, whoever "they" are, are telling you the truth, but they are also disrespecting you by being so glib and dismissive.

Yes, it's true, there are colleges that you can get into with a 2.3+ gpa. My Alma Mater took anyone with a 2.0 or better. Where are these colleges? What are the names of these colleges and how much will it cost to go to them? What are the reputations and programs these colleges offer and what is the lowest gpa you can have and still get in? My college, for instance, has no philosophy department, so if that had been my chosen area of interest, the fact that I only needed a 2.0 gpa wouldn't have been of any use to me.

Don't wait passively for answers. Be respectful, but firm and do as I'm sure your teachers are always telling you to do --- make them SUPPORT their glib answer with some data! If they act so comfortable dismissing your concerns, then it seems to me that they better be in possession of some real information. It is your life they are talking about! Don't accept half answers.

Now, the tone of their answer is just glib. First, the information they have given you. On the one hand, they (teachers/councilors/"the man") are pretty much correct, though I don't know how much you'll have to pay. Their answer strikes me as a bit insensitive and not a little unhelpful.

It's not that they don't care that's for sure, In addition I think my academic advisor is just as much in the dark about things as I was, In addition I really don't want to go to community college after high school as I think it would be unhelpful to me

zoomman
03-15-08, 02:32 PM
It's not that they don't care that's for sure, In addition I think my academic advisor is just as much in the dark about things as I was, In addition I really don't want to go to community college after high school as I think it would be unhelpful to me

If they care, they'll help you to get information that you ask for. If your academic advisor is in the dark and won't/can't help, ask him/her who else you might be able to talk to. If you don't, who will?

And just so you're clear, I wasn't talking about community college. My university accepted people with a 2.0 or less. There are universities out there that will take lower GPAs.

Good luck.

Scattershot
03-15-08, 03:41 PM
What is your ACT/SAT score? A lot of schools use a sliding scale so you can get away with a lower GPA if you do well on the test.

I found the table my college uses: http://www.csumentor.edu/planning/high_school/cal_residents.asp

(This is for California only, but I'm sure there are similar state schools all over the country.)

You should be fine if you can raise your GPA even a little bit this year. According to that link, a 2.5 GPA means you'd only need a 900 on the SAT. It's been forever since I took it, but that doesn't seem like a very high score.

Also, the Princeton Review test preparation books are amazing. Don't waste your money on one of those over-priced SAT review classes. I just checked and Amazon has the SAT book packaged with 11 practice tests for only $27. Get that and I guarantee you'll raise your score at least 100 points, probably a lot more.

Kevin16
03-15-08, 06:37 PM
What is your ACT/SAT score? A lot of schools use a sliding scale so you can get away with a lower GPA if you do well on the test.

I found the table my college uses: http://www.csumentor.edu/planning/high_school/cal_residents.asp

(This is for California only, but I'm sure there are similar state schools all over the country.)

You should be fine if you can raise your GPA even a little bit this year. According to that link, a 2.5 GPA means you'd only need a 900 on the SAT. It's been forever since I took it, but that doesn't seem like a very high score.

Also, the Princeton Review test preparation books are amazing. Don't waste your money on one of those over-priced SAT review classes. I just checked and Amazon has the SAT book packaged with 11 practice tests for only $27. Get that and I guarantee you'll raise your score at least 100 points, probably a lot more.

I'm planning on taking the ACT around June or so. In addition things aren't bad for me if you factor in that I have this year taken an AP US History class and done fairly well in it, In addition I'm planning on taking two more come next year.

Scattershot
03-15-08, 07:18 PM
I have this year taken an AP US History class and done fairly well in it, In addition I'm planning on taking two more come next year.

OK, then you're gonna be fine. Most colleges add a whole grade point to those AP classes when they figure your GPA. :)