View Full Version : The Disorganized Mind

Tara
03-15-08, 06:02 PM
There's a great new book called The Disorganized Mind: Coaching Your ADHD Brain to Take Control of Your Time, Tasks, and Talents by Nancy Ratey. It's coming out on April 1st. I have a review copy and I think it's great. Nancy Reatey is the co-founder of ADHD Coaching and an ADHD expert. The book offers some great tips and strategies for people with ADHD to Self-Coach themselves.

If you pre-order the book from Amazon.com you can save 5% on the book. It's also available at other bookstores too.

sloppitty-sue
03-15-08, 06:53 PM
THANKS Tara! :) That sounds like a book definitely worth checking out!

You said you got a review copy, so I'm wondering: Was there any info in there that was NEW to YOU (an ADHD coach yourself). I'm not asking you to divulge her secrets (certainly she deserves to have people PAY for her book) - just curious what YOU thought. Is it the same-'ole, same-'ole, or were there at least a handful of new ideas?

Sincerely,
Sue

Tara
03-15-08, 08:52 PM
For me there wasn't anything brand new but a lot of that has to do with the fact that I spend so much time researching ADHD and educating myself about it. I was reading it more from the perspective of how helpful the book would be to somebody instead of learning something totally new from. Plus a more often than not people with ADHD have the knowledge to do something. It's taking action with that knowledge that tends to be more of problem.

What the book does is give the readers step by step process on how to actually use self-coaching. Nancy also discusses different strategies she's use with her clients. She also breaks things down by the specific issues like time mismanagement, procrastination, transitions, etc.

So maybe I did learn something new since I had never seen a self-coaching model specifically for adults with ADHD before.

thewfh
05-26-08, 07:31 PM
Is there anyone who has read this book and found it helpful? I've spend $$ on books ( Delivered, Driven, Lazy crazy... you name it!) and I want to hear from someone who's actually bought this and applied it in their daily lives. I just bought (yet again) another book...it's a workbook called "Living w/ ADD" by Roberts and Jansen. There's another workbook called Mastering your Adult ADD. Workbooks or homework would be benefical, I think. I'm looking for suggestions. I've got all the information I need about ADD. I need help on curbing my impulsiveness, inattentiveness and such.

meriellyn
10-13-08, 02:04 PM
I'm reading this one now. Checked it out from the library but I'm seriously considering buying it now. I like that it's more about techniques for dealing with AD/HD rather than rehashing the basic pre-diagnosis stuff.

So far, so good. But as I said, I'm still in the process of reading it...

BobRobertson
11-12-08, 10:49 PM
I checked this book out from the library. I'm only on page 42 but have started some of the work sheets. So far the worksheets have been good at helping me identify problem areas in my life (seems like all of them).

I'm think I'll keep an online journal of my effort. Maybe some day I'll be able to review it and see progress.

ADXP
12-13-08, 04:32 PM
I read the Delivered from Distraction.
I get bored when the auther will tell a story of somebody & I really lost ineterst b/c

I don't see the logic /relativity to me.

Research Studies always fascinates me.

Sam French
04-18-09, 03:23 PM
I have read the book. It was the second book I have gotten. I love doing the worksheets they helped on showing where I am at on a few things. I have tried some of the things in the case studies they have helped too. GOOD BOOK.