View Full Version : I-ADD + now diag'd with idiopathic hypersomnia

scuz
03-18-08, 08:17 AM
Hi, just wondering if this is common? got results today of sleep study from(02/01/08)and MSLT study (03/02/08) show's no narc or cataplexy, no apnoea just "extreem and severe, extensive ongoing hyposomnia". putting it with recently diadnosed inattentive ADD.
common? if so how do you cope?:confused:

thank heaps!
L.

QueensU_girl
03-18-08, 04:23 PM
Hypo or hyper? Your post says both. (I think you mean Hypersomnia.)

-Are you on ANY medications? (incl. over the counters & herbals!)

-What other chemicals that mess up sleep do you maybe use? (caffeine; nicotine; asthma puffers)

-Any PLMs or other sleep disturbances?

-How much time is being spent in each Sleep Stage? (e.g. Stage 1, 2, 3, 4 and REM?)

-Anything weird on the EEG? (e.g. hx of head injuries or viruses or neuroendocrine dysfunction etc can cause hypersomnia)

A typical SLEEP STUDY REPORT is about _800 PAGES_ in length.

Doc should have told you more than this.

Did the Doc at least give you a printed summary of your testing? (e.g. about 10 Pages long)

NB Another thing to check is if your Doc is "Board Certified". Lots aren't. (Mine was not and I didn't find my reports or app'ts were very helpful.)

scuz
03-19-08, 02:03 AM
QueensU_girl;563849]
Q. Hypo or hyper? Your post says both. (I think you mean Hypersomnia.)
A.I think i mean hyper too, sorry, my bad

Q.Are you on ANY medications? (incl. over the counters & herbals!)

A.I tried duromine (phentermine) a weightloss stimulant about 2 and a half yrs ago (for weightloss) to which i found all my symptoms went away, at that time the Dr's didnt believe me. I resumed Duromine in September last year, which Dr found significant differances, he then orders the sleep study and to see a psychiatrist, have seen the psych once and he has given me more duromine until i see him again on the 9th (he speaks of swiching to rit or dex then) as he has to organise a section 8 clearance or something (unsure what he ment) I take panadol for headaches, but thats it.

Q.What other chemicals that mess up sleep do you maybe use? (caffeine; nicotine; asthma puffers)
A. yes am a smoker. i dont drink coffee or tea, and i dont have athsma.

Q.Any PLMs or other sleep disturbances?
None on sleep studys (No abnormal limb movements occurred.

QHow much time is being spent in each Sleep Stage? (e.g. Stage 1, 2, 3, 4 and REM?)
A.
Total Sleep Time:382min
Sleep Efficiency: 88.7%
NREM Sleep: 306min (80.0%)
REM Sleep: 76min (20.0%)
Awakenings: 21

Sleep Latency: 22min
REM Latency: 117min
Supine Sleep: 92.0min (24.1%)
Lateral Sleep: 290.5min (75.9%)

Stage1: 5min (1.3%)
Stage2: 227min (59.5%)
Stage3: 9min (2.5%)
Stage4: 65min (16.7%)
REM 76min (20.0%)

Total AHI: 1.3

Q.Anything weird on the EEG? (e.g. hx of head injuries or viruses or neuroendocrine dysfunction etc can cause hypersomnia)
A. I had a brain scan approx 3years ago which showed sinusatitus?spelling? due to cold at the time, dr then sent me for a EEG which was done at RBH Brisbane approx same time, no findings
Diagnosis- Breathing within normal limits
soft to moderate snoring in all sleep positions
ESS: 18/24, indicating severe subjective daytime sleepiness.
Recomended treatment Plan: MSLT - as this report does not adequately explain this patients hypersomnolence, Info book on sleep and driving, weightloss. There was adequate periods of REM and NREM sleep for analysis, however minimal supine sleep was achieved. Total time spent after sleep onset eas 26 minutes.

Q.Did the Doc at least give you a printed summary of your testing? (e.g. about 10 Pages long)
A. no, he read it and gave me a refferal to see the sleep physian as indicated in the report. I do have a copy of the 1st one but not the mslt.

thanks for your help.
-Leah

scuz
03-19-08, 04:01 AM
*Update* have the report for mslt. says:epworth 18/24 indicating severe subjective tiredness. An overnight sleep study was performed immediatly prior to this mslt. patient achieved 8 hours and 14 minutes sleep with a sleep efficiency of 95% during this study period.
The sleep latency was 13 minutes, and rhe REM latemcy was 60 minutes.
Patient achieved sleep in all of the nap-periods during the MSLT, with a mean sleep latency of 5.8 minutes. REM sleep was achieved in 1 of the 5 nap periods with a REM latency of 18 minutes.
Summary: Hypersomnolence confirmed, technically negative MSLT for narcolepsy/cataplexy syndrome.

QueensU_girl
03-22-08, 03:46 PM
http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/stages-of-sleep

scuz
03-22-08, 05:25 PM
I do understand these termonologys.:)

dotan
03-22-08, 06:27 PM
its common to have sleep problems with add , due to biological clock problems ... usually under medication like stimulans this problems go away and the quality of sleep improves