View Full Version : Cylert - What is it?

Andrew
03-30-03, 06:25 PM
Informative description with warnings at:
http://www.mentalhealth.com/drug/p30-c03.html

Cylert (Image)
http://www.mythos.com/pharmacy/detail.aspx?I=191&BM=191&SP=Index_DrugName.aspx&P=1&L=A

Cylert Chewable (Image)
http://www.mythos.com/pharmacy/detail.aspx?I=3590&BM=3590&SP=Index_DrugName.aspx&P=1&L=A

This medication has been withdrawn from Canada

joanrdtobe
09-29-03, 12:04 PM
Okay I have been on this drug in the past....and would probably still be on it except I went into an inpatient treatment center and they claimed it was "addictive" and so they made me come off it and for whatever reason, I never went back on it.....

But I was on it for quite awhile along with my Wellbutrin (which I am still on)....for ADD.....and it did help my focus....the problem was it gave me HORRIBLE insomnia....no matter how early in the a.m. I took it....I would go to bed at night and without fail -- wake up in the middle of the night -- and not be able to return to sleep....EVER....But I do remember it did help with ADD symptoms alot...Like at the time I was on it, I was studying for a major professional exam...and passed....so the stuff does work....

I did not have any of the dangerous side effects noted above, i.e. the increased liver enzymes...

JPD5366
03-07-05, 11:21 AM
I take Cylert and it doesn't feel like my new meds are working...actually it feels like they are making me WORSE!!! I am SO edgy and impatient!!! And all I want to do is CRY!!!

Anyone have this problem when starting meds???

Jennifer

Bouncingoffwall
11-23-11, 08:35 PM
I take Cylert and it doesn't feel like my new meds are working...actually it feels like they are making me WORSE!!! I am SO edgy and impatient!!! And all I want to do is CRY!!!

Anyone have this problem when starting meds???

Jennifer

If the mental or physical side effects aren't life-threatening, I suggest giving your body a few days to adjust to your dose. If the side effects are too much, try reducing your dose a little.

If it's unbearable, stop taking it and return to your pdoc immediately.

Possum
11-23-11, 10:59 PM
Actually, cylert (pemoline) was taken off the market some years back due to concerns about its impact on liver function. Japan is now about the only place you can get it. Everyone else doesn't have to worry about it.

marrysweet
08-22-14, 02:23 PM
Hey guys. Does anyone get adicted to Cylert? Is it possible to take test before course and find out if I will have an addiction?

namazu
08-22-14, 07:17 PM
Hey guys. Does anyone get adicted to Cylert? Is it possible to take test before course and find out if I will have an addiction?

In the U.S., Cylert was taken off the market about 10 years ago because there were some cases of liver failure linked to the drug.

Prior to being withdrawn, pemoline was classified as a Schedule IV controlled substance, unlike methylphenidate and amphetamines, which are Schedule II. Schedule IV drugs do not generally carry a notable risk of addiction. Schedule II drugs do.

If you are looking for a drug without addiction potential to treat your ADHD, there are other options available. But Cylert isn't one of them.

Headroom
06-09-15, 12:17 AM
Not only pemoline is not addictive, but it is the easiest focus enhancer to quit cold turkey if you have other things to smooth out the transition. Years ago I had to try to taper down simultaneously on both bupropion and pemoline due to a loss of medical insurance. It was hard, but now I think it was getting off the bupropion that made it so difficult. Today I follow the same core protocol of pemoline with bupropion. I have several times stopped taking pemoline without stopping taking bupropion to see how bad I would feel. Sluggishness does kick in, but an addition of modafinil with racetams takes the hurt out of it. Off course modafinil with its hard push can never compete with the ethereal lightness of pemoline and bupropion combination.