View Full Version : Driving

Chelsea17
03-21-08, 06:21 PM
Hi all!

I am hopefully get my License in mid-April, but I stink at driving. It is so hard for me. This is common with ADHD teenagers right? I work with a driving school and my parents. My mom said that she has to tell me things over and over in order for me to listen. My thoughts wonder when I drive. I get nervous while driving as well. It is so frustrating! Any tips on how to focus?

THANKS!!! :)

ADDAWAY
03-21-08, 08:11 PM
Chelsea:

It'll be easier for you when you don't have an instructor or parent making you nervous and talking to you in the passanger seat. By all means, do not drive your friends ... the insurance industry reports that the risk of an accident rises exponentially when that occurs: the more young people with a young driver, the higher the accident stats.

Also, check these out:

http://waldo.villagesoup.com/print/Print.cfm?StoryID=111811
http://www.drivers.com/topic/34/
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/portal/site/nhtsa/menuitem.54757ba83ef160af9a7ccf10dba046a0/

Chelsea17
03-21-08, 08:31 PM
ADDAWAY, thanks so much for those links...I'm on my way over to check them out. You are right, my parents do make me nervous. Esp. when they say 2 different things at once!!!!

ADDAWAY
03-21-08, 09:14 PM
All it took was one to make me nervous!

However, it's not just them, it's also the ADD in us wandering off. Believe it or not, some of us can focus better when we drive faster (see Hallowell & Ratey's book "Delivered from Distraction"), or do more than one thing while driving (eating, shaving, make-up, cell-phone etc.). Experiment a little in a safe environment to see what works best for you.

I'll bore you with a little story. Not long after I bought my first ride, I took it for a "spin" in the neighborhood by myself ... There weren't hardly any cars on that ample neighborhood road. It was a sunny. The music was playing on the radio. I wasn't going too much faster than the speed limit.

So it seemed like a perfect driving day. I saw the stop sign at the bottom of a little hill. My road dead ended on this heavily trafficked four lane street. All I know is that I applied the brakes like I normally did on that hill, and my ride starte sliding down the hill only to stop two lanes into the traffic coming at me on the driver's side. That event sent my heart pumping more than any haunted Halloween house or local stray dog. I was mostly worried about getting my ride dinged! In retrospect, I'm fortunate that I wasn't hit or killed that day because it's about the closest I came to that since then.

What happened? It had sprinkled a little earlier that afternoon. The water mixed with the oils on the asphalt to create a super-slick surface. That wasn't in the driver's manual or any instructions I was given. So, you never know what it will be. Just do the best you can and use your common sense. Be conscious about what good driving rules work for you. :cool:

Chelsea17
03-21-08, 09:43 PM
Please, addaway...you did not bore me. I like learning and hearing about others experiences. Sometimes, it is better to live & learn, right? My problem believe it or not is that I go too slow & stop sometimes when I am not supposed to. I think my confidants are just low in driving. I have to remember that I am in control of the car!

ADDAWAY
03-21-08, 10:34 PM
Thank goodness for us you're not in control yet, huh?! ;)

Chelsea17
03-21-08, 10:36 PM
Thank goodness for us you're not in control yet, huh?! ;)

Hey! You are right...let's hope by mid-April I improve. I will keep you posted!

:)

ADDAWAY
03-21-08, 10:37 PM
Beep Beeps to you, Road Runner! :)

kwalk
03-22-08, 02:06 AM
I think I was taking medication when I started learning how to drive, so I actually payed attention to EVERYTHING I learned in drivers ed. I think I would know nothing if I didn't pay attention in that class. But yea I would say I had a hard time learning too, I did get really nervous and sweat everytime I drove. I would say the best way to feel comfortable is to start by learning on country roads, and also drive with someone who is conscious that you have a problem learning who is patient and knows that they can't talk to you while driving! I do really bad with friends in the car, and as long as they don't talk to me I am fine. Supposively I'm kind of a scary driver though, I don't know what I do :(

ADDAWAY
03-22-08, 02:33 AM
How 'bout opening your eyes kwalk? That should help! ;)

kwalk
03-22-08, 01:30 PM
*waves magic wand*

elizam
03-22-08, 03:45 PM
I think I was taking medication when I started learning how to drive, so I actually payed attention to EVERYTHING I learned in drivers ed. I think I would know nothing if I didn't pay attention in that class. But yea I would say I had a hard time learning too, I did get really nervous and sweat everytime I drove. I would say the best way to feel comfortable is to start by learning on country roads, and also drive with someone who is conscious that you have a problem learning who is patient and knows that they can't talk to you while driving! I do really bad with friends in the car, and as long as they don't talk to me I am fine. Supposively I'm kind of a scary driver though, I don't know what I do :(

I need to get my almost 15yo ds to read this post and a few articles. He has decided he does NOT have ADHD, that it is a made-up disorder, and he refuses to take meds, despite how well they worked for him last fall (his first experience with meds--he was dxed with ADHD over the summer).

I have been advised to hold driving over his head till he will try the meds again....I hope he realizes that as poorly as he is doing in school right now, adding several hrs a day of driver's ed class after school when he normally likes to take a nap is going to be killer hard. He is not retaining much of anything right now and is having all sorts of problems!

Sorry to hijack--I remember learning to drive myself and I can imagaine it is even harder with ADHD.

nat_tdr
03-27-08, 05:40 PM
I get distracted at lights, stop signs, etc. And I hate merging. I can't have the radio on, and most of the time I'm yelling "mom, SHUT UP!" because she babbles and distracts me.

Imnapl
03-27-08, 06:07 PM
I need to get my almost 15yo ds to read this post and a few articles. He has decided he does NOT have ADHD, that it is a made-up disorder, and he refuses to take meds, despite how well they worked for him last fall (his first experience with meds--he was dxed with ADHD over the summer).

I have been advised to hold driving over his head till he will try the meds again....I hope he realizes that as poorly as he is doing in school right now, adding several hrs a day of driver's ed class after school when he normally likes to take a nap is going to be killer hard. He is not retaining much of anything right now and is having all sorts of problems!

Sorry to hijack--I remember learning to drive myself and I can imagaine it is even harder with ADHD.I've had the pleasure of hearing lectures by ADHD experts who just happen to have ADHD kids who are not allowed to drive without meds on board. They made this decision at the autobody shop.

I have driving a motor vehicle for 39 years - 12 of them on medication. I learned to drive in a big city and in all weather / road conditions. Although I have never been in a motor vehicle accident, I will not drive without meds now that I know the difference. In fact, on long trips, I will even space my doses closer together so I'm covered.

It's a choice.

Fuse
03-28-08, 02:21 AM
Hi all!

I am hopefully get my License in mid-April, but I stink at driving. It is so hard for me. This is common with ADHD teenagers right? I work with a driving school and my parents. My mom said that she has to tell me things over and over in order for me to listen. My thoughts wonder when I drive. I get nervous while driving as well. It is so frustrating! Any tips on how to focus?

THANKS!!! :)

Hey, same. I'm nuts at driving. Sometimes I forget to give way to the right on a round-about. I've nearly caused a crash so many times. Must try harder to remember. :S

willzzz
09-05-08, 08:23 PM
With my ADD I drive very *carefully*, in fact so careful it takes up all the resources of my mind and it doesn't have room for mapping/navigation so I've easily gotten lost before. Luckily this has been solved with a GPS and visually memorizing the route.