View Full Version : Focalin is my new favorite med

ventyourpain2k5
03-22-08, 08:03 PM
I tried adderall and dextroamp previously and today was my first focalin dose.
1. no side effects and i do mean no side effects
2. the crash was not bad at all
3. seems to last awhile. took it at 8am, felt it at 9am, lasted till about 4pm, with 5mg IR.

nicky818
03-22-08, 11:12 PM
That's great. I hope my son has the same luck. He's starting Focalin XR (5mg) this coming week (he's been on adderall for about six months with very inconsistent results). I've always heard good things about Focalin and I hope I'm not disappointed. I also found that Long's carries it in stock. Good luck.

lars
03-23-08, 11:51 AM
That's great to hear that about your experience with Focalin.

I feel that Focalin is the most underrated ADHD medication out there.

I regreted waiting as long as I did before I eventually tried it out,

mspryor
04-20-08, 12:15 AM
I take Focalin XR (20) and I never get dry mouth, I sleep ok, I would say far better than I have before the focalin. I still ramble on when I talk and seem to tell a littl more about myself than I wanted. :cool:

elizam
04-22-08, 09:16 AM
Oh, I am SO hoping that this will be the one for my ds!

He is 15 and has been off meds since Nov. He just started ADD meds last summer after his diagnosis, which was troubling for him. He didn't want to "believe in" ADD or meds effectiveness.

He hated Concerta and it didn't get better.

He did quite well on Vyvanse but as we upped the dose, he started hating it (maybe too high of a dose?).

He freaked out in Nov. and refused to ever take another med.

Reluctantly tried a Vyvanse again one day in Jan. or Feb. and had a horrible say. Dr. said a high dose when you aren't used to it would do that.

After hitting rock bottom, ds finally agreed to try a 5mg Focalin XR this morning. I am praying it will help! He might not even notice a difference today though! And if he does have side effects, he will most likely refuse to take anymore. He has no patience for it waiting and seeing how something's going to work out.

mspryor
04-24-08, 05:40 PM
I love Focalin, it's my first med and I've had nothing else. I don't know what to think about the others. I find myself better able to stay focused, think before I speak, but I crash around 7pm and don't eat much....

KurtG85
04-28-08, 09:32 PM
Im not quite sure about the effects of this med on me by itself but I know with 5mg adderall in my system at the same time Focalin messes me up in a major way. Especially during the crash. Crazy, crazy anxiety and major derealization.

wxxx
05-07-08, 10:41 PM
Oh, I am SO hoping that this will be the one for my ds!

He is 15 and has been off meds since Nov. He just started ADD meds last summer after his diagnosis, which was troubling for him. He didn't want to "believe in" ADD or meds effectiveness.

He hated Concerta and it didn't get better.

He did quite well on Vyvanse but as we upped the dose, he started hating it (maybe too high of a dose?).

He freaked out in Nov. and refused to ever take another med.

Reluctantly tried a Vyvanse again one day in Jan. or Feb. and had a horrible say. Dr. said a high dose when you aren't used to it would do that.

After hitting rock bottom, ds finally agreed to try a 5mg Focalin XR this morning. I am praying it will help! He might not even notice a difference today though! And if he does have side effects, he will most likely refuse to take anymore. He has no patience for it waiting and seeing how something's going to work out.

I hope the Focalin is working out for him. I've been through a similar situation, my doctor first prescribed Vyvanse and I had a horrible reaction to it. I had to leave work and almost ended up in the ER. Then my doctor put me on Adderrall, and that didn't have any positive effect. In fact, I literally had almost every common side effect from it. I stuck with it for almost two excruciating weeks, but like I said, I had all the side effects but none of the benefits. I was beginning to think my doctor had misdiagnosed me, or was a quack. So on my last visit, I told him how this was making me feel worse than before I started taking any medications and that I was concerned he was misdiagnosing me.

He then went on to explain to me what exactly he was treating me for, and told me that he too was disappointed the other medications were not working. To make a long story short, he prescribed me Focalin XR 20mg in the morning, 10mg at 11am, and 10mg at 4pm. I (nervously) started taking it today, and I am absolutely glad I listened to him instead of myself. It is my first day, so take it for what it's worth, but I've never been so focused in my life, and I have really strong sense of just general well being. I can honestly say this has been one of the best days I've had in a VERY long time. So far, the side effects are minimal, a little dry mouth, a little loss of appetite, and I feel like talking to people a lot more (but that's not such a bad thing). But nothing painful like before on those other medications.

So I totally understand your ds's feelings towards taking medications, but have faith and don't let him give up. Looking back, it was worth going through the pain. Just talk honestly with your doctor and let him know your concerns. I sincerely hope he finds what he needs.