View Full Version : just started xanax!

kwalk
03-24-08, 09:24 PM
Just started xanax today... .25mg. feeling great:)

I heard a lot of bad things about it though.. so I would like to hear what any of your experiences are with it. Mainly I just heard that it's very addictive and you can develop a tolerance level that just keeps upping your dose, and it's very hard to come off of.

I'm going to try not to be too dependent on it, it's just something I need right now because my anxiety was just so bad I couldn't wait for something else to work in a couple of weeks.

I heard it's a big no no to drink on it, but have any of you done it?

fxfake
03-25-08, 01:50 AM
I'm going to try not to be too dependent on it

Be careful. You generally don't know how dependent you are on a medication until you stop taking it.

Is there any particular reason you are on Xanax (as opposed to another benzo)? Xanax is supposedly one of the worst when it comes to dependence/tolerance.

kwalk
03-27-08, 12:35 AM
It was the first one my psychiatrist suggested :/. My mom doesn't want me to be on it either..... but oh god how I love how I'm feeling on it.

kwalk
03-27-08, 12:35 AM
I love how I feel because I feel normal.. not euphoric

QueensU_girl
03-27-08, 12:58 AM
My Doctor stopped Rx-ing XANAX to patients 10 years ago.

Upjohn (drug company) lied about it 'being safe' (e.g. addiction-less).

If you get into high doses, be careful not to stop it suddenly.

burman
03-27-08, 11:31 AM
Ask your doc to prescribe Klonopin. I take .5 - 1mg (PRN). Xanax totally knocks me out about two hours after taking the same dose.

kwalk
03-27-08, 12:17 PM
my doc said the dexedrine could be causing me more anxiety and up and downs, so I should stop taking it. SHe said the xanax doesn't do that and that I shouldn't listen to what other people say sometimes lol. I guess xanax depends upon person to person. I know you guys have great intentions with your advice though :)

TheBrainiac
03-27-08, 12:41 PM
my doc said the dexedrine could be causing me more anxiety and up and downs, so I should stop taking it. SHe said the xanax doesn't do that and that I shouldn't listen to what other people say sometimes lol. I guess xanax depends upon person to person. I know you guys have great intentions with your advice though :)

I guess I am confused. She prescribed you a strong anxiolytic drug for ADHD? Dexedrine® and Xanax® are indicated for different conditions, one treating the symptoms of ADHD and one treating the symptoms of anxiety and panic disorders.

I think your physician wants to treat the underlying problem of anxiety rather than treat your ADD symptoms. It is a known fact that the sympathomimetic amines of amphetamine and methylphenidate can exacerbate the symptoms of anxiety and are generally contraindicated in patients with high or elevated levels of anxiety prior to treatment. Many times the treatment of the ADD symptoms will effectively reduce the anxiety.

You should speak to her about the possibility of biofeedback, as it is a very effective treatment for anxiety as opposed to using a benzodiazepine drug that can cause dependency and sometimes addiction. Xanax® is not a bad drug, its good for what it is intended for, it just has the ability to become a crutch and is easy to take at the slightest hint of anxiety, and some anxiety is normal.

kwalk
03-27-08, 12:55 PM
i think she just wants me to be on it for a couple of weeks, and then we're going to look at something else for long term. I'm going to start doing yoga to help relieve my anxiety. My anxiety might be more of a problem, then my a.d.d. I dont know. I've also considered the possibility that I might have auditory processing disorder, I have a lot of the symptoms. It can make a.d.d. harder to deal with. I'm getting tested in a few weeks.

kwalk
03-27-08, 02:08 PM
And I would love to do something like biofeedback,but right now I don't have that kind of money or time. I'm in school and I'm on my short spring break trying to get things figured out so I can start up the new semester without failing. My anxiety is pretty severe, I'm constantly worrying to the point where I'm scared of doing anything outside of my room and nearly could focus on anything. Xanax changes its completely all the way around, I still see my a.d.d. symptoms but I'm not freaking out about them like before and I actually want to do things. I know that I am a little depressive,

I just really need that extra push RIGHT NOW, so I can do things that I need to do right now. If I don't get better right way, I have to go home and my life back at home sucks. I really really really don't want to have to go home.

i'm working on getting a cognitive behavioral therapist to help with my thoughts too.