View Full Version : New to Focalin XR

whitedaikan
03-26-08, 12:04 PM
Hi all!
I just got diagnosed last week but I tought I had it for a couple months before then. I have been trying real hard to make behavioral changes and stuff- eat right, get sleep, stay away from electronics, and positive self-talk yada yada.

Ok so I was put on focalin xr 10 mg for two weeks and then I will take 20mg after that. So right now I have only been on 10 mg for a week and I don't really feel anything- definately not that dynamo-able to hyperfocus feeling I have heard from other ppl. My heart has calmed down and I am a little better about staying on task- although at night I am my old self.

I am sure I will be able to better tell if the focalin xr is working once I take 20 mg but I am wondering if anyone else on here has done the same dosage I am on? or any comments? thanks!

mspryor
04-20-08, 12:25 AM
I take Focalin XR (20mg) and I feel much better. I use to drink a pot of coffee every day (about 6 cups a day). I also could not get any home work done. the only thing I don't like is that I crash in the evening and I don't want to take anything else.:cool:

jackers
05-05-08, 10:51 PM
If you're like me, you may find that 20mg is not getting you to a theraputic range. Just be sure to speak up if you're still not feeling anything after your increase to 20. With Focalin, you should definitely feel something, otherwise the dose is too low. Most docs are afraid of prescribing high dosages of Focalin, but it's the patient who suffers when not dosed properly.

whitedaikan
05-12-08, 05:27 PM
yes my doc bumped me up to 30mg a day. I tried taking 30 first thing in the morning and it was alright for a couple days but I got pretty anti-social and irritated easily on it. I sometimes still do it on a sunday if I have a lot to do but my usual routine now is 20mg first thing in the morning and if I get up b4 9 I will take another 10mg 5hrs after my first dose. This has been working great and every once in a while I take a day off focalin- like sat. if I know I am gonna drink and don't need to do much.

I can't believe I got through 21 years without some medical-grade stimulant. I used to be the person who thought add'ers were undisciplined and just immature. Now I am eating my words and I get so frustrated when I hear other ppl talk that way. Lol serves me right for thinking that way-

I just have to say that I love focalin xr b/c I still feel like I am doing the work. Has anyone taken adderall and focalin xr? not simultaneously- I am just interested in how focalin compares to other stimulants. I am a little nervous though that the effects will wear off down the road. Has anyone here been using focalin xr for over 6 months? does it still have the same affect on you?

-focalin xr devotee

red03stang
05-25-08, 10:05 AM
I finaly found a dr that agreed that i was either add or bipolar. thankfully after 6 drs one who saw what i saw and prescribed me 15 mg of focalin that was the day before yesterday and so far it seems to be working great i do feel later in the day it starts to wear offf though. I am also on 60 mg of cymbalta so i wonder if that has anything to do with it