View Full Version : you're right-- xanax is baaaaaaaaaad

kwalk
03-28-08, 02:09 AM
and I think my psychiatrist is a retard for telling me that it doesn't give you up and downs.
I mean I took my dexedrine early this morning, a very small instant release dose,and I didn't take the second dose because she told me that was probably the reason why I was up and down. I took my last dose of xanax at 6pm today, and around midnight tonight I started feeling extremely tired, slow, out of it, and memory getting weird. My friend handed me my check card and i put it away and then I asked him for it back and he was like I just gave it to you. I started getting mentally confused, then I freaked out about the whole ordeal for god knows what reason and now I'm crying hysterically.

This was my last chance to get myself into next semester and now I know I have to go home :(

Life was amazing here when I was happy and now I have to go home to nothing.

theta
03-28-08, 02:16 AM
and I think my psychiatrist is a retard for telling me that it doesn't give you up and downs.
I mean I took my dexedrine early this morning, a very small instant release dose,and I didn't take the second dose because she told me that was probably the reason why I was up and down. I took my last dose of xanax at 6pm today, and around midnight tonight I started feeling extremely tired, slow, out of it, and memory getting weird. My friend handed me my check card and i put it away and then I asked him for it back and he was like I just gave it to you. I started getting mentally confused, then I freaked out about the whole ordeal for god knows what reason and now I'm crying hysterically.

This was my last chance to get myself into next semester and now I know I have to go home :(

Life was amazing here when I was happy and now I have to go home to nothing.

Hmm describe more what you mean by "up and down"?

kwalk
03-28-08, 02:29 AM
I also had some caffeine from diet coke much later in the day around 11pm. I know the dex wouldn't react to this since that only lasted like 5 hours and took it around 11am. Now I'm lookin at one website and it said xanax MAY intereact to caffeine as well. God some websites don't include the same things, I looked at a couple before and they didn't say anything about caffeine for xanax. I hate this, I hate that I can't drink anything. I seriously don't know if the caffeine could of done that much harm?

kwalk
03-28-08, 02:41 AM
Up and down.. not manic and really depressed.

Normal. for a few hours... then seeing my thoughts becoming really excessive in a negative way.I would say this would happen between each dose i had to take of the xanax, but it was hard estimating the times I would need to take it because I felt like everyday my anxiety would come back quicker than before. On the xanax,when the anxiety came back, I would start crying sometimes. Before the xanax, the anxiety felt like it was all day long, I would have crying spells, but I was kind of getting used to it. I think this is considered anxiety ---I would just pick on myself about every little thing wrong with me (mainly everything a.d.d. related) or going wrong and wouldn't stop thinking/worrying about it.Then I started viewing everybody in such a different way and thinking they were the problem. It took me awhile to realize exactly what I was feeling.

MJwatson
03-28-08, 01:57 PM
Don't give up hon! It takes time to get the medicines right! Have you tried taking the dex regularly during the day and the xanax in the evening?

I have ADHD and OCD...I take my adderall in the morning and my klonopin when it starts to wear off. I still have to let my Dr know..but it seems to work for me just fine.

Don't beat yourself up, you will find what works and finish school! Oh, another think I noticed...I have a naturally high resting pulse. My Dr put me on Toprol to slow my heartbeats to normal levels and my anxiety dropped like SOO much!

Good Luck! :)

kwalk
03-28-08, 03:22 PM
ya know the naturally high rest pulse thing is probably me too... my friends say i'm so hyper and always have to be doing something. I'm not hyper too much when I talk, I don't think...(I never ever was described as hyper in my entire life until a few days ago) I always feel like my body wants to jump out of it's skin.

I know it takes time to get medicines right, but I start school back up on monday and I feel so unstable. It's a lot of money being put into this :(

MJwatson
03-28-08, 04:06 PM
ya know the naturally high rest pulse thing is probably me too... my friends say i'm so hyper and always have to be doing something. I'm not hyper too much when I talk, I don't think...(I never ever was described as hyper in my entire life until a few days ago) I always feel like my body wants to jump out of it's skin.

I know it takes time to get medicines right, but I start school back up on monday and I feel so unstable. It's a lot of money being put into this :(

I am totally sensing anxiety! Can you call your dr? How are you supposed to be taking your meds? dex in the am and in the noontime and the xanax as needed? Don't cry hon...it's all going to be ok. Take a big breath, get a cold glass of water. Let's think about all the meds you have, how you were directed to take them, and how you have been taking them, and how you have been feeling....maybe we can find a connection :)

**hug**

kwalk
03-28-08, 05:17 PM
Originally I was taking 2.5 dex with .25mg of xanax in the morning. Then I was taking it again 4 or 5 hours later. Then another 5 hours later I would take xanax again.

I found like the first two days inbetween each dose I would feel the anxiety come on. It just started getting worse and worse. My doc told me to get off the dexedrine yesterday, and I had already took my first dose of it so I didn't take my second. Still felt a lot of the mood fluctuation. Then by the end of the night, I started having all those weird symptoms and cryed for hours. My mom called me at 6am and after that I couldn't go back to bed again for like another 4 hours because I was so worried. Then when I woke up around 3 pm I immediately started crying and having sort of an anxiety attack and I took the xanax. I'd say right now I'm finally starting to calm down.

Just had to quit my job though and I think it's best that I come home. It doesn't look like xanax is the right drug for me and I need to find a drug that would be good for me in the long run anyway. I already failed miserably this quarter because of all of my anxiety, I don't feel like setting myself up for failure again when I know I'm already not stable.

MJwatson
03-28-08, 08:51 PM
Well, always trust your instincts and if you need to go home...go home! Maybe you could see your dr there.

I know my dr..did not want me taking them at the same time and just to take my klonopin if I was having anxiety. Have you tried alternating them? Like dex then a couple hours later the xanax..etc.

It also sounds like you didn't start to feel crappy until you missed you dex dose. Have you tried taking the dex as directed and then the xanax as needed? I was always under the impression that meds like klonopin and xanax are meant to be taken as needed....not continually.

Definitely talk to your Dr or see another one. I am no Doc. I am just sharing what has worked for me. :)

hang in there!

kwalk
03-28-08, 11:06 PM
I'm not going to take anything until I get home and see someone. I Haven't left my room all day haha I'm worrying somewhat, but I know I'll be ten times worse if I try and go hang out with people or something. The dex might eventually be right for me once I get my anxiety ahold, but xanax is just too crazy and strong for me.

If I could only take xanax when needed, I would, but I feel like I need it all the time.

QueensU_girl
03-28-08, 11:08 PM
Yup, the anxiety drug 'rebound' problem.

It comes back worse when the drug wears off.

Sadly, Xanax has a short little half-life too, so it wears off *fast*. :S

--

Are stimulants making your Anxiety worse? (This can happen. Something to consider. Perhaps a non-stimulant could be more gentle on you?)

--

If you have always had a history of anxiety, have you been thru the standard SSRI treatments for it? e.g. PAXIL or ZOLOFT, etc?

I know they are antidepressants, but anxiety/depression are often 'two sides of the same coin'. Antidepressant drugs can work well for Anxiety issues.

--

If that has all been figured out:
How about tossing around some non-drug solution ideas for your anxiety?

Much anxiety (once medical causes are ruled out) is the result of something called 'Conditioned Emotional Responses'. Basically, people get 'fear conditioned'. (Many also do not recall the ORIGINAL event or thing that made them have an anxious/fearful response, either. For more on this, do a GOOGLE search on "Little Albert".)

One can learn to self-calm and self-regulate with various somatic (body/mind) instructional programs.

I was able to essentially get rid of most of my anxiety problems and attacks with a somatic intervention called Sensorimotor Psychotherapy (SP).

www.sensorimotorpsychotherapy.org

QueensU_girl
03-28-08, 11:30 PM
yeah, Xanax and it's cousins can temporarily sort of "fry" our working memory (similar to alcohol). So i'm not surprised to hear you didn't remember where you put your Check Card. :S

ADDers already HAVE working memory problems, so we become kinda extra impaired. :S

Like we need that! <G>

As for the tearfulness at wearoff, when a person takes a fast acting/fast leaving Anti Anxiety drug, one part of withdrawal is feeling ALL your emotions (e.g. frustration, tears, sadness). The OPPOSITE of the drug's actions when it is in your system.

It will pass. Stay strong.

meadd823
03-29-08, 12:54 AM
I was thinking a lot along the lines Queens_U - that maybe the drug wears off before you next dose is due - I do poorly on Ritalin because it wears off so rapidly and suddenly - I would have ADD control then suddenly no ADD control so I would take next dose have ADD control {and head ache} 2.5 suddenly no ADD control - it is called hills and valleys - the peak of effectiveness would cause me to have head aches - the medication wore off in 2.5 -3 hours but my next dose would still be two hours away -

I was switched to Adderall I find the onset more gradual thus gentler, it last longer 4.5 hours and the effectiveness tapers off instead of the drop off a cliff effect I had with Ritalin- my point being share this with your doctor and see if the two of you can find a similar medication that doesn't have the rapid in system -out system like the Xanax.

I take Xanax for physical symptom of anxiety - I never feel anxious - according to my doctor I am too ADHD to notice my anxiety - how is that for some ADD - any way so I have physical symptoms like chest pain and muscle spasm that can and have lasted days - which hurts like the dickens.

I take Xanax I understand the memory thing - it sucks .

I do try to avoid taking them when I need to remember some thing like my name - unfortunately some times these physical symptoms of anxiety refuse to wait until a more convent time - if I am out and about and wish to avoid the Box of rocks IQ I don't take the full 0.5 mg - I will split the pill in half {it is scored} and begin with just a half - with my doctors permission naturally. The only side effect I have is "box of rocks" IQ, and horrible duh huh moments but the half dose allows me to retain some cognitive function - plus the short effectiveness of xanax works for me but it may not work well for one whose anxiety is more consistent .

You just need to work with your doctor on this is you do not tell him/her what is going on he/she will not know so he/she won't be able to help you find what best works for you.

SuzzanneX
03-29-08, 02:06 AM
try half the xanax dose, and/or ask for addrrall.

...ritilin is an up and down drug. *shivers*

kwalk
03-29-08, 12:46 PM
I tried adderal for about a year, and I felt like I had no personality on it. I kept taking it though, because I did so much better in school! Actually I really stopped taking it because I started going into anxiety and depression. I have pretty much tried every drug out there for a.d.d. except for dexedrine( which I'm going to try to work on again once i get home) and desoxyn.The only non stimulant I've heard of and tried is strattera and it helped me a little bit, but I seemed to always get used to my dosages and tried moving up, and eventually it attacked me with emotions.

To give you a little background on me and the cause of my last depression-- My dad also moved out of the house around the time, and I thought I was going to be happy about it because I thought so many of my problems were because of my messed up family, and when my problems didn't go away it was like BOOM into craziness. Therapy and meds helped a lot, but my a.d.d. was never really addressed or taken care of. I stayed on medicine for about two years.I took zoloft and it worked wonders, except it made me have racing thoughts and I was technically "slightly" bipolar.The doctor then put me on trileptal and It calmed my thoughts down a lot. I went to a community college while still taking this medicine and still couldn't pay attention. Tried two semesters of it, and still couldn't pass a lot of my classes. I figured when I went to an art school, that I would do a lot better because I was going to learn something I really wanted to do.

I stopped taking my medicine the summer before I went to school, I did fine up until all this stress in school and life. I mean school was really hard, you had to put a lot of time into art projects. I was adjusting to having my a.d.d. friend leaving me and having to try to find normal people who would accept me for my a.d.d. I was trying so hard just to be normal :/. I have considered that I might be going into relapse, but all my ******* worries are just about my a.d.d. and how I just feel like I can't control anything because of it.

At the same time, I think I'm a little too a.d.d. to understand my problems either like one of you said. and to see my friends say that xanax calms me down hyper wise probably means something about the anxiety. I mean I didn't even know I was hyper and restless, because I never really was like that in the past or called hyper in the past. I can't really decide, always been somewhat indecisive, but now that my brain is a little more active, it's even harder to. I'm changing my mind like every second!

Jubb
04-01-08, 03:35 PM
All I know is that benzo's are a shortcut which lead to worse anxiety down the road. If you have anxiety/panic attacks now, imagine what it will be like when Xanax stops working (which will happen eventually).

I know you hate to hear it, but you should seek and address your root cause of anxiety and save the benzo's for when you really need them.

From the sound of it you're a sensetive to meds already, my guess is that you are sensetive to caffeine as well. It will compound the anxiety exponentially, so lay off it for a while. Also, if you're taking pseudoephedrine (Clairitin-D, and some other allergy meds) I've noticed it is significantly worse than caffeine as far as anxiety.

kwalk
04-01-08, 05:09 PM
I've been taking zyrtec for years damnit.

kwalk
04-01-08, 05:12 PM
I'm definitely going to get off the xanax when I get home. All my anxiety is due to my a.d.d. I don't think I will need anything for anxiety once I figure out a medication for my a.d.d.

QueensU_girl
04-01-08, 05:23 PM
How much were you taking of the Xanax/day?

Jubb
04-03-08, 02:41 PM
Zyrtec does not contain pseudoephedrine, so you're in the clear. I happen to take it as well.

kwalk
04-04-08, 12:30 AM
.25mg

kwalk
04-04-08, 12:30 AM
I'm very sensitive to meds, therefore little doses can even tick me off