View Full Version : texting

shoppingbabe16
03-31-08, 06:43 PM
not sure to put it here but what is your opinion on students texting during class ?

shoppingbabe16
03-31-08, 06:46 PM
??????

Chelsea17
03-31-08, 07:21 PM
Its is rude. I am not saying I am against it. But if you are continually texting in class you are showing no respect. Think of it if your teacher was texting and you wanted to talk to him/her. SOME of my teachers do understand the need for it. They don't take it away when they see it...just a warning...

Sometimes, if I do text in class if it is something REALLY important and mostly is will be to my mom or a close friend.

What makes you ask this question?

shoppingbabe16
03-31-08, 07:23 PM
because one of my friends got her phone taken away in global today.

FrazzleDazzle
03-31-08, 07:26 PM
I think more phones should be confiscated in the schools. Texting, listening to music, making calls in class, is not a proper environment for learning, and when the teachers allow it, it lessens their role as leader in the classroom to a very high degree.

Imnapl
04-04-08, 10:25 PM
Our school district has a policy that cell phones are off and away when entering any building in the school district; that includes staff, parents and students. Phones are confiscated and a parent must come to the office to pick up a student's phone.

A lot of phones have cameras and nasty things get posted on you-tube.

wifeandmom
04-05-08, 10:54 AM
Our district banned cell phones at school last year. They were VERY strict - you couldn't even look at it in the hall to check the time, couldn't use it during lunch, couldn't use it on the bus en route to school events, etc. This year the faculty isn't AS strict - or kids are better at getting around the rule.

During her freshman year, I used texting quite a bit to remind my daughter to turn in assignments, get make up work, bring home smelly athletic gear, etc. I would send the message WHILE she was in that particular class. Sophomore year they implemented the ban and I really missed the ability to be her "executive secretary" and her work suffered quite a bit. That's when she really needed some kind of an aide (either human or electronic) to remind her to stay on task, turn things in, etc. This is junior year and either DD has gotten better at hiding her phone or the teachers aren't enforcing the rule. I still send reminder messages hoping she'll see them in time. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

To me, the issue isn't cell phones per se, it's the DISTRACTION from the work at hand. The real problem is that the kid isn't engaged in what's going on in class. It would be the same issue if they pulled out a book and started reading it, painted their fingernails, wrote notes to friends, did homework for the next class, slept, etc. THAT'S the issue the teachers should address.

But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong.

Imnapl
04-05-08, 12:25 PM
Aren't there electronic personal planners you can use so you don't have to text someone through the day? Students could still check their phones outside the building at lunchtime. I've never been in a regular classroom where a teacher didn't address off-task behavior. That's often one of the complaints that starts the diagnostic process. Are parents allowed to visit classes in your school district?