View Full Version : Dissapointed in Vyvanse

trinity10120
04-01-08, 07:18 PM
I have come to the conclusion that I am dissapointed in Vyvanse.
I was taking it consecutively for a month at 30 mg, and Vyvanse was not supplying me with a 12 hour day, more like 3-4 hours. So then I titrated up to 50mg for a couple weeks and the same thing happened, and then had to take Dex as a booster with the 50mg of Vyvanse.
At this point I am entirely on Dex.
I was just really dissapointed. I thought Vyvanse was the "miracle medication" for me. I wasn't doing or consuming anything that I wasn't supposed to. I wish pharmaceutical companies would do more thorough testing before they go getting everyones hopes up. Then again what did I expect? The only testing that they did was on children.

Is Vyvanse giving you the 12 hours that it claims it provides?

I hope that it works better for all of you.

SuperChan
04-01-08, 07:34 PM
My son is on it. It tends to give him right around 12-hours. However, the rebound is really big.

Lailey
04-02-08, 04:18 PM
I'm in the same boat. I get 2-4 hours max of good effects and then it's all downhill. I'm on 50mg.

JR1973
04-02-08, 05:48 PM
Keep going. 50mg is a pretty small dose. Slowly creep up the scale. 60,70,80,90,100 and so on until you find the magic number.

I take 70mg and it works OK. I tried 100mg a couple times and it was way too intense.

J

crash_matrix
04-02-08, 06:33 PM
Vyvanse is not approved by the FDA (Or Shire, for that matter) for doses above 90 mg; if you're taking dextroamphetamine to enhance lisdesamfetamine at 50 mg, you've developed a tolerance and should consult with your doctor about taking some time off of it.
Alot of patients with ADD who take dex don't realize that the brain adjusts to dopamine overstimulation by producing less of it. If you take dex (or any amphetamine) every day (or nearly every day) for extended periods of time, it will stop working -- even start working in reverse.

-- Allen

JR1973
04-03-08, 10:39 AM
Remember that 'recommended' FDA doses are nothing but an decided upon dose gathered from short-term clinical studies. To this day the 'recommended' FDA dose for Ritalin is 60mg maximum per day.

During clinical trials Vyvanse was used up to 150mg a day with no bad side effects. Actually 150mg of Vyvanse = 40mg of Dexedrine for comparison purposes.

http://healthcalls.com/HighDoseMedication.htm

J

Erasmus777
04-06-08, 07:59 PM
Vyvanse is not approved by the FDA (Or Shire, for that matter) for doses above 90 mg; if you're taking dextroamphetamine to enhance lisdesamfetamine at 50 mg, you've developed a tolerance and should consult with your doctor about taking some time off of it.
Alot of patients with ADD who take dex don't realize that the brain adjusts to dopamine overstimulation by producing less of it. If you take dex (or any amphetamine) every day (or nearly every day) for extended periods of time, it will stop working -- even start working in reverse.

-- Allen

I never really understood whether or not you can lose your tolerance--can time off allow your brain to reset?

crash_matrix
07-15-08, 10:03 AM
I never really understood whether or not you can lose your tolerance--can time off allow your brain to reset?

Yes, and there are several possible explanations, including:
First, dextroamphetamine causes synapses to fire in reverse if the dose is too high, and the body accumulates dextro when its absorption is hepatic. That means that if you don't give doses time to completely metabolize, additional doses will build up until they're released. Over time, this small amount of overlap can become high enough to cause the reversal just mentioned. This principle theoreticaly doesn't apply to Vyvanse since its absorption isn't hepatic.
Second, if neurons are excited by significantly more of one neurotransmitter (in this case, dopamine or norepinepherine) than others, they will:
A) start producing more receptors that are dedicated to that kind of transmitter, and/or
B) modify receptors dedicated to other neurotransmitters such that they're dedicated to the surplus neurotransmitter.
As time rolls on, if that transmitter's use is reduced, the neurons will start to reverse A and B.

-- CM

strangebrew
08-28-08, 02:08 PM
I have been taking Vyvanse for about 1 year now. Over the last year I took one 70mg capsule almost every day (1 or 2 days off per month). I supplemented that with one 10mg dex or one 10mg adderall in the afternoon almost as often (6 days of the week). I did notice that I developed a certain "tolerance" for the medication but this mostly stabilized to a level that was acceptable (an effect between the original and none).

At the end of June I stopped taking all adhd meds. As of last week I had not taken vyvanse/dex/adderall for nearly 2 months when I decided to take approximately 30mg of vyvanse (poured it out of the capsule). This small dose had probably 75% of the effect I was getting from the 70mg+10mg combo several months prior.

In conclusion, you can definitely develop a tolerance to vyvanse. This does not mean it stops working, just that it has different effects - for me this was simply a decrease in intensity, for others maybe it is something else. If you take a substantial time off of vyvanse and resume it you will notice that a much smaller dose can have the same effects.

strangebrew
08-28-08, 02:12 PM
Note: after I stopped taking the meds I felt it took me nearly 1 full month to "recover" to my old self. By this I mean my energy level, sleeping habits, general vigor and intensity were not normal until 3-4 weeks after quitting vyvanse/dex/adderall - although I was basically normal after 3 or so days (discovered I had become very sleep deprived).

mw26
08-28-08, 07:29 PM
I think that you may have to "discover" a dose that works well with your body.
I had similiar results. First, taking 50mg once a day. At first it lasted 8-10 hrs then after a month it went down to about 4-6hrs of good results. I recently went up to 70mg daily with a Dex. booster in the afternoon as needed. The 70mg by itself works great for me as compared to the 50mg. My doc and I believe it is the correct dose at the time. You should ask your doc if you can go up to 70 and see how it works or simply take the 50mg as you are now and pour half the contents of a second pill in water a few hrs later and see if that works for you. (I tried this and this is how I orig.discovered that this dose works the best). I take the Dex IR in the afternoon if I know I am going to have a longer day at work or need to study at night when I get home from work.
I do believe that you can develop a slight tolerance (contrary to popular belief) and will need to increase the dosage as time goes on until you reach the dose that is right for YOU.
I hope this helps you a little. Know that everyone has different reactions and experiences to the same drug.

TheSwift182
03-15-10, 12:00 AM
Yes, and there are several possible explanations, including:
First, dextroamphetamine causes synapses to fire in reverse if the dose is too high, and the body accumulates dextro when its absorption is hepatic. That means that if you don't give doses time to completely metabolize, additional doses will build up until they're released. Over time, this small amount of overlap can become high enough to cause the reversal just mentioned. This principle theoreticaly doesn't apply to Vyvanse since its absorption isn't hepatic.
Second, if neurons are excited by significantly more of one neurotransmitter (in this case, dopamine or norepinepherine) than others, they will:
A) start producing more receptors that are dedicated to that kind of transmitter, and/or
B) modify receptors dedicated to other neurotransmitters such that they're dedicated to the surplus neurotransmitter.
As time rolls on, if that transmitter's use is reduced, the neurons will start to reverse A and B.

-- CM
Doesn't an increase in the release of a neurotransmitter decrease the amount of post synaptic neurons due to down regulation via a second messanger?

Pyrrho
03-17-10, 01:49 PM
I'm not really qualified to give medical advice, but based on what I've read it seems like you might have given up on the Vyvanse a little early.

The maximum dose for children in their studies was 70mg, which is why 70mg is the largest dose available in a single pill. There was no study done for adults once they had FDA approval for children (pretty typical with ADHD meds), but a decent number of adults take 140mg daily, and there are even some people out there taking as much as 210mg daily.

You just need to work closely with your doctor to adjust your dose while monitoring any negative side effects. I personally never would have thought anyone could take 210mg a day, but there really aren't any standards for adult dosing so it's more about making sure the good effects always outweigh the bad. There are always other meds to try, so if you experience more bad than good it's not the end of the world. Every doctor I've spoken with says an equal amount of people respond well to each of the 3 main stimulant meds, and there's no way to predict which one will work for any given individual so you just have to try them.

mww254
08-03-12, 12:42 PM
I too am noticing diminishing effect from the vyvanse..
I have been taking 30mg for about a year. I take it 3-5 days out of the week, and never more than 3 days in a row. I kept being told that it is more effective if I take it everyday.

I used to notice a rush in the first month or so, then it was just easier to focus, and I was unable to sleep for about 12hrs after taking it. I also used to not be able to eat lunch on days I took it, nor did I have a desire to eat..

In the past 3 months that has taken a change. I notice little to no effect of the vyvanse after about 3 hours. I am able to eat large amounts of food without feeling ill, and I usually do now, as I feel like I'm starving. I also sometimes crash midday and find myself taking an hour long nap, and sleeping is no longer a problem.
But on my days without taking it, I have little energy..

I have gone almost 3 weeks without taking it to try to lower my tolerance, but it didnt seem to help. I have also tried taking 2 30mg tablets at a time, and that works like the 30mg used to..

The thing is, I hate to ask for a higher dose, because then I will become acclimated to that, and just have to keep upping my dose over time..

Does anyone have recommendations? Should I just up my dose, or should I try an additional 'booster' that may interact with different receptors so that tolerance doesnt build so quickly..
I would hate to have to go 3 months without vyvanse to let my brain chemistry fix itself, as the vyvanse really does help me function when it works as it should..

gatorADDe
08-03-12, 02:30 PM
Vyvanse definitely doesn't deliver in the "lasts all day" claim for me. It maybe did for the first week of treatment with it. But as each week goes by I feel like it wears off earlier and earlier. My doc actually added Adderall XR 5mg for me to take in the afternoon because of how early it would wear off. I dunno why he didn't suggest dexedrine considering thats what Vyvanse essentially is. Vyvanse works great while its working, but it's comedown is absolutely awful. I'm at 70mg right now, which is the highest approved dose. I think he gave me a adderall booster to avoid insurance coverage issues. But i think the ideal treatment for me would be 70mg Vyvanse + 30mg Vyvanse in the afternoon or something like that.

425runner
08-03-12, 02:35 PM
I was taking Vyvanse 70mg for 6 months, it gradually diminished its effects so went off it for 4 days, very, very tired but I was on vacation so who cares. Then I re-started but found I had to take 10mg Dexedrine or Adderall to keep it "working" after that it started to give me anxiety and nothing else....so I've decided to take a break from it all.

Amazing how only 6 months led to such high tolerance, at the beginning I was happy with 10 mg Dexedrine IR/day, at the end not even 30 mg Dexedrine ER did anything.

I'm on day 4 and feel very light headed, sleep 12hrs/day, fatigued, and depressed. It feels like a giant hangover...and I have no motivation to do anything and of course, all the ADD symptoms are back. I hope that taking l-tyrosine and 5-HTP will re-set things back to normal in 2 weeks. If I'm still "not well" then I'll resume Dexedrine but never again will I touch Vyvanse.

mww254
08-03-12, 03:28 PM
I just dont like the idea of re-dosing vyvanse in the afternoon. It supposedly take 14hrs to metabolize, so if I were to re-dose with something in the afternoon, it would have to be something with a much shorter lifespan..

If I dont get a good nights sleep, even 60mg of vyvanse is practically useless..

And yes, now when I dont take it, I sleep for at least 12hrs before naturally waking up, and then feel fatigued all day.

Right now going without it isnt terrible, but I will be starting back to school soon, so I need to get something worked out...

425runner
08-03-12, 04:59 PM
@mww254 I suggest you buy some n-acetyl l-tyrosine or even just plain l-tyrosine to replenish DA/NE that got depleted with use of Vyvanse. It's not a magic cure or anything just seems to be a good thing to do and it's energizing.

True about Vyvanse not working when not getting enough sleep, I've experienced the same thing!! You'd think a stimulant like that would wake a person up but no......

Going w/out it is by no means the end of the world but I need to get a job soon, been unemployed for a year now and don't have the energy/motivation to do so right now :(

TheChemicals
08-03-12, 05:49 PM
After 6 months on vyvane at 50mg and 60mg....i can say it last the entire day or me. I dont even take it the next day most times because i still feel fine.

mww254
08-03-12, 06:23 PM
@mww254 I suggest you buy some n-acetyl l-tyrosine or even just plain l-tyrosine to replenish DA/NE that got depleted with use of Vyvanse. It's not a magic cure or anything just seems to be a good thing to do and it's energizing.

True about Vyvanse not working when not getting enough sleep, I've experienced the same thing!! You'd think a stimulant like that would wake a person up but no......

Going w/out it is by no means the end of the world but I need to get a job soon, been unemployed for a year now and don't have the energy/motivation to do so right now :(

Thanks for the advice. I'll talk with my doctor about it..

ConcertaParent
08-03-12, 09:16 PM
+1. After watching Dr. Russell Barkley's medication presentations, I thought Vyvanse was the new ADHD super drug and specifically requested it for my child. On just the fourth night, she was uncharacteristically crying in agony over head pains. After bravely tolerating red nose, red lips, red ears and other side effects, we had to give up on the miracle.
I was just really dissapointed. I thought Vyvanse was the "miracle medication" for me.