View Full Version : Can anyone help??

Zuzu
04-07-08, 02:49 PM
Hi
I was diagnosed about 4weeks ago with AD/HD by a psychiatrist who specializes in adult AD/HD and she has put me on Ritalin but also recommended a AD/HD coach who contacted me a week ago and came to see me last week. This coach also has AD/HD but told me she hasn't gone down the medication route, which is fine, but I am concerned about a few things which I hope someone here can advise me on. Now although I have the major symptoms of ADHD I have an obsession with being on time, I am 45 years old and throughout my life until in my thirties I have always been late for stuff, so I think I over compensate now.
My husband has Aspergers and is always late for everything so I feel I have to be on the ball more. The coach I saw has a major problem with arriving on time and telephoning much later than has been arranged and I find my self getting quite anxious about this, also, and I know everyone has to make a living, but she charges about $120 for a phone session which she says lasts for about an hour, if she comes to see me it costs $240, which I cannot afford.
I am already a disabled person, with problems with my spinal cord and can't afford to pay that much but she will not reduce her rate for me. I just get a gut feeling about her that tells me not to employ her, She spent the best part of my session talking about her own problems and I was so bored I nearly asked her to leave.
To put it bluntly, I didn't like her and am scared about what my psychiatrist will say at our next meeting if I tell her that i have decided not to do the coaching. I found the coach to be quite bossy and I can't stand being bossed around.
I have just discovered mindfulness Cognitive Therapy and feel that this is more my style of learning, but I don't' know what to say to my psychiatrist about the coach that she recommended.
Can anyone help.
Thanks for listening
Jennifer

DeloresMelon
04-07-08, 03:59 PM
You simply tell your psychiatrist you cannot afford the coach and you weren't comfortable with her anyway. Feel free to note the points you mentioned in your post, but frankly, it's your dime and there's no reason to elaborate.

Given your position, stay on the meds course and if after awhile you feel you need additional support then look into coaching, but definitely a different one.

ZappedMind
04-07-08, 05:16 PM
Tell her coaches are to players, what vendors are to fans. Ask if she recommends any local food places. :)

Tara
04-07-08, 06:24 PM
First of all it sounds like the ADHD Coach isn't very professional if she can't make her appointments on time. I say tell the psychiatrist what you told us. Remember you are the one in charge of your life and your ADHD treatment.

If I was in your situation I would probably be asking the psychiatrist why he recommended somebody who charges so much and is unprofessional.

QueensU_girl
04-15-08, 02:35 PM
Tell your Doc what you just told us here.

Ask your Doctor to find you some funding and Find another Coach.

(Sometimes healthcare professionals look at things from their own financial perspective AND are not mindful of the expenses [and lack of financial resources] that their patients with challenges have 'in real life'.)