View Full Version : Scientists take drugs to boost brain power: study

newfdog
04-10-08, 08:56 AM
Scientists take drugs to boost brain power: study

Twenty percent of scientists admit to using performance-enhancing prescription drugs for non-medical reasons, according to a survey released Wednesday by Nature, Britain's top science journal.

The survey focused on three drugs widely available by prescription or via the Internet.
Ritalin, a trade name for methylphenidate, is a stimulant normally used to treat attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder, especially in children. Modafinil -- marketed at Provigil -- is prescribed to treat sleep disorders, but is also effective against general fatigue and jet lag. Both medications are common currency on college campuses, used as "study aids" to sharpen performance and wakefulness.

The full article can be found below
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=080409184817.qle46eoh&show_article=1

Imnapl
04-10-08, 09:35 AM
Our B.C. news ran this story last night. Very vague article, don't you think? I don't get a clear picture of the demographics of the respondents. I am also very curious about the comment that Ritalin is common currency on campuses. My doctor checks my file on computer at each visit and the program states when I am entitled to my next prescription - this in spite of the fact that Ritaln no longer requires a triplicate copy prescription. The government dropped that when data told them that the current belief that people were getting prescriptions filled to sell the product were unfounded.

Regardless of how much the facts were stretched to grab headlines, a non-ADHD/ADD person is not going to get the same benefit from a stimulant that an ADHD/ADD person will. One only needs to read the current thread about medication and PDD-NOS to get a true picture of a small benefit versus a great benefit from the same medication.

Fuse
04-11-08, 08:25 AM
65% used Ritalin.

I'm surprised amphetamines/speed isn't up there - even though the effect is much the same as Ritalin, it's easier to get hold of.

Anyway, I suspect that many of those 20% of scientists have valid prescriptions for stimulant medication.

Meanwhile, 80% of Americans use the stimulant caffeine to get them through the day. It's not like scientists/lawyers/doctors are alone in their consumption of stims.

Imnapl: You'd be surprised how well stimulants work on people without ADHD. They aren't as effective, true, but the benefit certainly isn't trivial. I believe the dose must be rather small, though - more therapeutic rather than recreational - to avoid over-stimulation and hence loss of focus.

Imnapl
04-11-08, 09:48 PM
Anyway, I suspect that many of those 20% of scientists have valid prescriptions for stimulant medication.Excellent point! The news story doesn't mention the possibility of people with ADHD/ADD being academics.

Meanwhile, 80% of Americans use the stimulant caffeine to get them through the day. It's not like scientists/lawyers/doctors are alone in their consumption of stims.Exactly! In years past, it was considered poor manners to walk around with a coffee cup as a permanent extension of one's hand as many people do now.

Imnapl: You'd be surprised how well stimulants work on people without ADHD. They aren't as effective, true, but the benefit certainly isn't trivial. I believe the dose must be rather small, though - more therapeutic rather than recreational - to avoid over-stimulation and hence loss of focus.My first experience with this topic was in the office of a psychiatrist who was attempting to write my very first, in triplicate, prescription for Ritalin. The good doctor made an error, initialed the correction, muttered something about they will think you did that and started writing another prescription. I looked at my watch and noted that it was 4:00 p.m. and suggested it was coffee time. The doctor nodded and said, yes Ritalin would probably be helpful for him in the late afternoon, but not as beneficial as it would be for someone with ADHD/ADD.

I have observed kids whose behavior is improved somewhat while on Ritalin. I have also observed the miraculous improvement that Ritalin makes in others. It becomes obvious who really benefits from the medication.

Imnapl
04-11-08, 09:50 PM
Newfdog: re: the picture in your signature? It gives new meaning to the expression swimming with dolphins.

newfdog
04-12-08, 11:41 AM
Thats my newf Bentley coming to save me and pull me to shore.

Reasontastic
04-12-08, 01:05 PM
I am also very curious about the comment that Ritalin is common currency on campuses.

I'm a college freshman and the use of stimulants is fairly common, from my observations. Except most students seem to use Adderall.

toogled
08-15-11, 09:08 PM
In resposne to the person above me:

Maybe in your university. But there are areas where criminal factions enabling drugs to be peddled to students does not barely exist.

And if the people with ADHD give out someof their supply it wouldnt be enough for days let alone weeks because they need that supply for themselves or they are not going to be disabled.